Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.
Loading

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Electronics and Consumer Durables > Mobile Phones
Register Forgot Password?

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-01-13   #1
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum
 
 
vijayninel's Avatar
Rig Gallery
idea Ubuntu Phone - Is Dominance of IPhone/Android Under Threat?



A few months back @Xanan had told me that Ubuntu would soon be coming to mobile devices. I expected that to happen but not this fast. Yesterday Ubuntu showed off its first demos of the Ubuntu Phone and they look slick.

I think these have a good chance to make it because not everyone is happy with Android or iOS and it is Free and open source. However their major challenges will be to get a good number of native apps and warding off lawsuits from Apple, Microsoft and others.

Anyway, three cheers for the Ubuntu team. Good job, hope to see Ubuntu phones in shops near my house soon.

Free Radical likes this.
__________________
Living in water and being an enemy of the crocodile is not good. - Proverb
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-13   #2
teh spamm[E]R!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
-
 
 
Free Radical's Avatar
Rig Gallery
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,294
Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished
Re: Ubuntu Phone - Is Dominance of IPhone/Android Under Threat?

Although I would like to own one if priced well, it would have similar negatives to Ubuntu for PCs: almost no games or fun apps, and dearth of proprietary apps, plugins and codecs. In that scenario, Android and iOS with their mature app market will continue to rule.

Ubuntu, like Meego is too late. Although I would definitely like to see Ubuntu on those Android media player aka miniPC sticks so that we can have a cheap PC alternative which doubles as a media server / NAS / smart tv
ManISinJpr likes this.
__________________

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear x-rays, and I wanna, I wanna smell dark matter!
Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly, because I have to, I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting, spoken language. But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me!
I'm a machine, and I could know much more, I could experience so much more, but I'm trapped in this absurd body!
And why?! Because my...creators thought that "God" wanted it that way.
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-13   #3
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Puny human
 
 
dexbg's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 4,329
dexbg is extremely Renowned
dexbg is extremely Renowneddexbg is extremely Renowned
Re: Ubuntu Phone - Is Dominance of IPhone/Android Under Threat?

This will definetly appeal to the hobbyist and dev community .. I dont see much adoption by mainstream users. Mostly devices that already run Android will be used to run Ubuntu as well..

Canonical is banking a lot of its reputation on the security features of 'pure UNIX' to tempt enterprises ..
There is a lot of innovation .. I'll definetly give em that .. the UI has been re-imagined but not overdone.

Its approached the smartphones in the way that users are already familiar with .. Swipes, Gestures etc.

I'd love to see its nifty features creep onto Android ROMS
__________________
March 6 , 2010
Delhi [E] Meet
JD's Pad


"I was there .. till the end"
dexbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-13   #4
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!
 
 
ManISinJpr's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Look back, Look in the fr
Posts: 21,838
ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble
Re: Ubuntu Phone - Is Dominance of IPhone/Android Under Threat?

I think that uBuntu will be a niche market thing based on the success of the most superb OS till date in smartphones, that is Meego !!
If that could not succeed then uBuntu has a slimmer chance to .. and also there desktop version itself is not so popular !! counting numbers..
__________________






ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-13   #5
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum
 
 
vijayninel's Avatar
Rig Gallery
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 18,624
vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent
Re: Ubuntu Phone - Is Dominance of IPhone/Android Under Threat?

Originally Posted by Free Radical View Post
Ubuntu, like Meego is too late.
I think more than coming early, getting the OS right and offering a alternative UI is more important. Microsoft has been on Smartphones for longer than Apple or Google but could they never got it right.

I have seen numeros mobile OS's come and go and I am usually skeptical about them, however I see potential in this one. Lately Ubuntu have started to get things right even on the desktop. More game devlopers have also started supporting Ubuntu along with steam so there is devlopment on that front.

The other thing is that Microsoft is messing up all its software including the Desktop. Apple is a closed, expensive garden, Android has its own limitations and limited user control. So I definitely see potential for Ubuntu if they can get enough App developers to make apps.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-13   #6
teh spamm[E]R!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
-
 
 
Free Radical's Avatar
Rig Gallery
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,294
Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished
Re: Ubuntu Phone - Is Dominance of IPhone/Android Under Threat?

I don't find any particular limitation with Android (except of course phoning home to Google and that too you can avoid by using alternatives and rooting). Please do elaborate
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13   #7
teh zeuS!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
..I..
 
 
Dark Star's Avatar
Rig Gallery
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: /var/temp
Posts: 2,502
Dark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly Famed
Re: Ubuntu Phone - Is Dominance of IPhone/Android Under Threat?

Originally Posted by Free Radical View Post
Although I would like to own one if priced well, it would have similar negatives to Ubuntu for PCs: almost no games or fun apps, and dearth of proprietary apps, plugins and codecs. In that scenario, Android and iOS with their mature app market will continue to rule.

Ubuntu, like Meego is too late. Although I would definitely like to see Ubuntu on those Android media player aka miniPC sticks so that we can have a cheap PC alternative which doubles as a media server / NAS / smart tv
Meego too late ? lol

It never made it to the market in it own avatar (N9 was always a distant dream) and the death of meego is probably due to poor execution from Nokia and Intel, AMD made it very late to the party.

As for Ubuntu its never too late all you need is get things right.

Originally Posted by dexbg View Post
This will definetly appeal to the hobbyist and dev community .. I dont see much adoption by mainstream users. Mostly devices that already run Android will be used to run Ubuntu as well..

Canonical is banking a lot of its reputation on the security features of 'pure UNIX' to tempt enterprises ..
There is a lot of innovation .. I'll definetly give em that .. the UI has been re-imagined but not overdone.

Its approached the smartphones in the way that users are already familiar with .. Swipes, Gestures etc.

I'd love to see its nifty features creep onto Android ROMS
You can't be that sure, at a point of time iOS was formidable and now its seeing the negative trend with every quarter.

Though it will be a high hill for Ubuntu OS to catch up but there is no doubt it'll be favorites among devs. People like me who loves QT/QML QT Quick Ubuntu phones embark with a huge opportunity for scintillating projects and off the shelve UI/


Originally Posted by ManISinJpr View Post
I think that uBuntu will be a niche market thing based on the success of the most superb OS till date in smartphones, that is Meego !!
If that could not succeed then uBuntu has a slimmer chance to .. and also there desktop version itself is not so popular !! counting numbers..
Again Meego was very much hyped . It never reached the market to the level of mainstream users . It get stuck with high end users or devs only.

Nokia and Intel lackluster execution created a grave for meego which will not be the case for Ubuntu OS.

Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
I think more than coming early, getting the OS right and offering a alternative UI is more important. Microsoft has been on Smartphones for longer than Apple or Google but could they never got it right.

I have seen numeros mobile OS's come and go and I am usually skeptical about them, however I see potential in this one. Lately Ubuntu have started to get things right even on the desktop. More game devlopers have also started supporting Ubuntu along with steam so there is devlopment on that front.

The other thing is that Microsoft is messing up all its software including the Desktop. Apple is a closed, expensive garden, Android has its own limitations and limited user control. So I definitely see potential for Ubuntu if they can get enough App developers to make apps.
I'm not be Ubuntu follower but this is a good concept. Even though it has to catch up a lot if it wants to stand up in the market.

But Ubuntu phone will be more tightly integrated and less fragmentation.

Originally Posted by Free Radical View Post
I don't find any particular limitation with Android (except of course phoning home to Google and that too you can avoid by using alternatives and rooting). Please do elaborate
Fragmentation and poor performance. Thanks to JVM.
__________________

Dark Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-13   #8
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!
 
 
ManISinJpr's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Look back, Look in the fr
Posts: 21,838
ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble
Re: Ubuntu Phone - Is Dominance of IPhone/Android Under Threat?

Meego was hyped and was indeed very good, but the point is that Linux is still considered to be a foreign os for normal people and a product needs to be accepted by normal people or it will again be lonely as Meego.
Originally Posted by Dark Star View Post
Again Meego was very much hyped . It never reached the market to the level of mainstream users . It get stuck with high end users or devs only. Nokia and Intel lackluster execution created a grave for meego which will not be the case for Ubuntu OS.

Yes I agree, Android sucks a lot coz of that.
Originally Posted by Dark Star View Post
Fragmentation and poor performance. Thanks to JVM.
ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-13   #9
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.
 
 
Ninthsense's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 14
Ninthsense is Mysterious
Re: Ubuntu Phone - Is Dominance of IPhone/Android Under Threat?

Open Source is not new. People need choices and that's what android gave them, the flavors from AOSP , AOKP and the various kangs off them.

IMO Ubuntu should have a different market altogether. Make compatible kernels, so that the user has a choice to install ubuntu over the already purchased mobile that came with either windows or android. Maybe have optimized flavors for various needs (for handicaps, blinds etc.) which are limited in the commercially available mobile OS that comes pre-loaded and then companies like samsung/LG/Sony do not bother to update them.

If they try to compete in the already saturated market then maybe they'll face the same fate as Meego.
Ninthsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Android Extends Dominance in Smartphones Worldwide Timon Interesting News on the Web 0 10-08-12 12:40 AM
Jailbreaking iPhone could pose threat to national security, Apple claims vijayninel Interesting News on the Web 54 09-07-12 09:27 AM
Forget Android: the iPhone Is a Better Phone for Hacking, Tweaking, and Customization Ad1tya Mobile Phones 79 21-06-12 02:58 PM
For Trade: Trade 2 Day Old iPhone 4 for Android Phone Or Windows Laptop superstar2009 Closed/Completed Deals 0 29-07-11 05:36 PM
WTBMobile Phones Android Phone or Good Camera Phone raghul Closed/Completed Deals 21 26-04-11 04:27 PM


Tags
dominance, iphone or android, phone, threat, ubuntu
All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:16 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.