Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Storage Solutions
Register Forgot Password?

Old 24-09-07   #1
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Paper labels on DVD+/-R discs: beware!

Paper labels are not recommended for DVD discs.
The expansion and contraction of moisture in the paper and the accumulation of heat in a DVD drive can alter the flatness of a disc enough that it falls out of the tilt specification and may not be able to be read.

Bottom line: unless you find a recommended source of labels causing no problems, it's strongly recommended NOT to use paper labels on your DVDR discs. Of course, if you already did so and have no problem, don't panic. But if these discs start to have reading issues in the future, you'll know what to try next
Here is an "offfical" explanation from Memorex (excerpt from Sitemap)

If you will be using any adhesive labels or stickers, some precautions should be taken:
Labels must be perfectly adhered to the disc surface. Any bubbling or creasing can imbalance the disc, which can cause tracking errors or noisy spin-ups. Never attempt to remove an adhered label.
This can damage the protective layer or the reflective layer causing permanent damage to the disc.
In addition, as with writing pens, insure that your labels' adhesive does not contain any chemical solvents that can become absorbed into the top layer. The adhesive on some labels have been known to damage discs. Labels can also become loose with age. Adhesive labels are not recommended for discs being used for archival purposes.
References:

Can labels damage the DVD discs?
http://www.mam-a.com/technology/tech...tions%20v3.pdf
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread....ghlight=labels

Last edited by Chief-Techie; 24-09-07 at 02:18 AM.
Chief-Techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-07   #2
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Love < Orange San Francisco

vajm1234 is highly Admirablevajm1234 is highly Admirablevajm1234 is highly Admirablevajm1234 is highly Admirablevajm1234 is highly Admirablevajm1234 is highly Admirable
Re: Paper labels on DVD+/-R discs: beware!

informative but useless who holds single dvd for ages and its hard to explain to general masses than techies ------in future we will move to either HD or BD! so who cares. but thx for the info.

Love ATI :armyguy: Nvidia oOO
... now after my GTX460
Love Nvidia :armyguy: ATI oOO

vajm1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-07   #3
teh nuB!

AK3D is very Notable

CT - absolutely right. You should never put labels on the dvds not just because of the warping, but also because of alignment problems. Optical media spins very fast, and the addition of a label will misalign the disc leading to problems later on.

Can labels damage the DVD discs?

http://www.mam-a.com/technology/tech...tions%20v3.pdf

If you will be using any adhesive labels or stickers, some precautions should be taken:
Labels must be perfectly adhered to the disc surface. Any bubbling or creasing can imbalance the disc, which can cause tracking errors or noisy spin-ups. Never attempt to remove an adhered label.
This can damage the protective layer or the reflective layer causing permanent damage to the disc.
In addition, as with writing pens, insure that your labels' adhesive does not contain any chemical solvents that can become absorbed into the top layer. The adhesive on some labels have been known to damage discs. Labels can also become loose with age. Adhesive labels are not recommended for discs being used for archival purposes.
AK3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-07   #4
teh priesT!
[E]onian

TheIndian is highly AdmirableTheIndian is highly AdmirableTheIndian is highly AdmirableTheIndian is highly AdmirableTheIndian is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by vajm1234 View Post
informative but useless who holds single dvd for ages and its hard to explain to general masses than techies ------in future we will move to either HD or BD! so who cares. but thx for the info.

No information is useless - I guess you have not seen an old marriage DVD or CD yet.

I do not know much about HD or BD, what are they?
Old 24-09-07   #5
teh zeuS!
[E]onian

Chief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by vajm1234 View Post
mate U got to be Aware that all Media Content will not be Converted to HD or BD,in few cases it might be Upscaled just to Play in Newer Players

this where ur DVD's become Precious & storing them in the right way becomes important

@AK3D: thnx for the links,added them to the main Post

Last edited by Chief-Techie; 24-09-07 at 02:18 AM.
Old 24-09-07   #6
Addict......
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r

HailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
No information is useless - I guess you have not seen an old marriage DVD or CD yet.

I do not know much about HD or BD, what are they?

HD = HD-DVD = High Definition DVD
BD = Blue Ray Disc

Wikimedia Error

Wikimedia Error

Source: WiKi

These are the next gen storage media to replace DVD's...

Hell Is Empty........ Devils Are Here..
-
William Shakespeare

HailStonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-07   #7
teh geeK!
[E]onian

200mph is highly Admirable200mph is highly Admirable200mph is highly Admirable200mph is highly Admirable200mph is highly Admirable200mph is highly Admirable

and i think BD N HD will become both main stream only later on atleast in INDIA people now have finally moved on to dvds ( still think a lot before buying and prefer a cd if its cheaper / infact some frends of mine dont appreciate the quality diff btw infact dont think there is as such a vast difference on a dual layer exact copy DVD9 and a 1.4gb rip of the same movie on a sony 40' LCD god) and they think that nothing lies beyond this . this i the case of the metros out here . imagine the smaller cities .

so i think DVD's will be here in the market for quite some time
200mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-07   #8
Addict......
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r

HailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by 200mph View Post
and i think BD N HD will become both main stream only later on atleast in INDIA people now have finally moved on to dvds ( still think a lot before buying and prefer a cd if its cheaper / infact some frends of mine dont appreciate the quality diff btw infact dont think there is as such a vast difference on a dual layer exact copy DVD9 and a 1.4gb rip of the same movie on a sony 40' LCD god) and they think that nothing lies beyond this . this i the case of the metros out here . imagine the smaller cities .

so i think DVD's will be here in the market for quite some time
200% correct... People are so indifferent towards storage media shows even worse in small towns... They only want cheap so go for a CD even with a DVD writer... My friends who've moved to DVD writer still writes on CD even though writing on a DVD is much cheaper.... since nobody cares about media quality... they don't even spend 18-20 bucks on crappy DVD's & go for 8 bucks a piece CD.....

Also when I tell people I've 320 gig HDD they are like ... what are you doing with such huge storage.. But even this space is low for me... already stuffed it...

Most people here still go for an 80 gig HDD....
HailStonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-07   #9
teh geeK!
[E]onian

200mph is highly Admirable200mph is highly Admirable200mph is highly Admirable200mph is highly Admirable200mph is highly Admirable200mph is highly Admirable

320 gb , i get to here the same here man . my frend are like 500 gb of hard disk , itna kya karega , how many movies u gonna store . all know i just love my movies .
Old 25-09-07   #10
teh nuB!

JeDiKnight is Notable

reminds me of the 320gb hdd headline when the UK attacks news came...LOL
JeDiKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-07   #11
teh zeuS!
[E]onian

Chief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly Admirable

^^^ Media Optical Media Scene will never Improve Unless Big Players like Verbs,Mitus & TY official Step in Big time

with the Kind of Mindset Indian People have over strange it would not Surprise me even if Big Players Dilute Media Quality to increase there profit
Old 25-09-07   #12
teh geeK!
[E]onian

now if that happens only option for people will be to fill HOUSES with HTPC n hdd's instead of media :-)
Old 09-10-08   #13
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
"don't fear the reaper&qu

sanju123 is highly Admirablesanju123 is highly Admirablesanju123 is highly Admirablesanju123 is highly Admirablesanju123 is highly Admirablesanju123 is highly Admirable

thank you "CT".didn't knew it before.
Rig 1- intel e7200 , asus 680i sli, ati 4870 , palit hd 4670 super, 4gb kingston 667 ddr2 ram, western digital blue 500gb, sony dvdrw , creative 5.1 speakers,hp 17&quot; crt, aoc 20,24&quot; full hd lcd&quot;
Rig 2- amd phenom II x2 560 BE, ASUS M4A88T-M LE AM3 AMD 880G HDMI, G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB), ati hd 4870 512mb ddr5,msi twin frozr 2 560ti, logitech keyboard and mouse, Aoc 24&quot; full hd lcd&quot;

My mobile- samsung corby pro , nokia N95, motorola defy, motorola photon 4g, micromax a85; http://www.speedtest.net/result/412769387.png
sanju123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08   #14
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renowned
stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned

^^Well, done, you just bumped an ages-old thread.
READ!!!
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08   #15
teh priesT!
[E]onian
status quo

kris is highly Admirablekris is highly Admirablekris is highly Admirablekris is highly Admirablekris is highly Admirablekris is highly Admirablekris is highly Admirable

^^its actually the spammer before him who bumped this...how ironic ('read')