Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Buying Help > PC Buying Help
Register Forgot Password?

Old 13-02-18   #1
teh nuB!
happy!

New Build Help

I need help in buying/building a new PC. My budget and requirements are as follows:
  • Budget:40-50k
  • Existing hardware setup:NA
  • Components from the existing setup that you intend to keep:CM HAF 912 Combat with side panel, 2 HDD's, Dell S2240L, Keyboard, Mouse
  • Components that you have in mind for your new PC:CPU, Motherboard, GPU, RAM, PSU
  • Plans to upgrade in the future:No
  • Places from where you will buy components along with your location:Online, Lamington Road Mumbai
  • Are you comfortable with buying secondhand components from the Erodov market? epends
  • Intended use of the PC [gaming/office use/rendering/HD playback etc] : Gaming, Media, Documents
  • Brand preferences:None
  • Monitor resolution and size:1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz
  • Will you be overclocking your setup?:If needed
  • Which OS will you use?: Windows

The main game I play is Path of Exile, which seems to need CPU performance just as much as GPU. Would prefer components that won't need upgrades for the next 3 years at least.

The choice seems to be between Intel i5 and AMD Ryzen 5. i3/Ryzen3 would probably not fulfill the CPU requirements of PoE. Considering the cost of the Z370 chipsets, Coffee Lake probably would not be a good idea. No hope for new chipsets this month either.

Also, Iíve been reading about all the issues plaguing Ryzen. Many of those threads are from when it was first launched, but how many of them still persist after all the BIOS updates and new firmware? I donít mind troubleshooting, but the thought of multiple issues causing days of anguish to fix something and trying a ton of combinations and forum advice seeking posts gives me a pseudo stomach ache while Iím typing this. RAM compatibilty seems to be an issue here, so how to find out what RAM models work well with the Ryzen motherboard selected?

I have read that Ryzenís Wraith Spire is quite capable even for mild overclocks. But what about Intels stock heatsink? Will that do for normal use or will aftermarket cooling be necessary? I don't have an airconditioned room, though my cabinet does have good airflow with 2 intake fans and 3 outflow fans.

For PSU, the best decent PSUís in a good price range I have shortlisted are Seasonic S12II520(Tier 2 on the PSU list) and Antec VP 550P v2(Tier 3 on the PSU list/which I have been told is also a good choice). I won't dare go for the stupid local shit like Enter, Circle, VIP etc. or even the non rated Corsair VS/CX series or CM Master series. One PSU failure was enough to teach me that lesson.

As far as GPU goes, I'm guessing the best I can hope for in my budget is the GTX 1060 3GB, or the standard GTX 1050TI 4GB.

If I can buy an SSD in budget, I will, or I can buy one later.

All help and advice is appreciated.
vinaykamat14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-18   #2
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

bs1979 is Mysterious
Re: New Build Help

Budget -55K

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G -13000,
Asus Prime B320 Plus -5000,
Corsair Value Series 8GB 3000Mhz -6000,
Corsair CX450 -3500,
Antec GX200 -3000,
WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3500,
LG 22MP68VQ-P 22" LED IPS -9000,
Zotac GTX1050Ti 4GB Mini -11000,
Logitech MK200 KB/Mouse Combo -1000.
TOTAL -55,000.

AMD Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G Processors With Integrated Graphics Launched

The Ryzen 3 2200G is priced at Rs. 7,290 + GST in India

The Ryzen 5 2400G is priced at Rs. 10,990 + GST in India
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC | Asus Phoenix RTX 2060 | G.SKILL Sniper X 16GB 3600 | Intel 1TB 660P SSD | Antec 750w Gold Pro | Corsair SPEC Delta RGB | Benq EW277HDR | CM Masterkeys Lite L Combo | APC 1.1 KVA | Antec Spark 120mm RGB Fan | Windows 10 Pro | MS Office Pro 2019 |
bs1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-18   #3
teh nuB!
happy!

vinaykamat14 is Mysterious

Originally Posted by bs1979 View Post
Budget -55K

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G -13000,
Asus Prime B320 Plus -5000,
Corsair Value Series 8GB 3000Mhz -6000,
Corsair CX450 -3500,
Antec GX200 -3000,
WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3500,
LG 22MP68VQ-P 22" LED IPS -9000,
Zotac GTX1050Ti 4GB Mini -11000,
Logitech MK200 KB/Mouse Combo -1000.
TOTAL -55,000.

AMD Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G Processors With Integrated Graphics Launched

The Ryzen 3 2200G is priced at Rs. 7,290 + GST in India

The Ryzen 5 2400G is priced at Rs. 10,990 + GST in India
I'd prefer not to use a newly released Ryzen CPU. I read how many problems Ryzen had when first launched before the subsequent BIOS updates and firmware and I don't wanna go through that. Especially considering that the current motherboards won't be Zen+ ready, so I would have to do a firmware update straight out of box, which might be very hard if the motherboard doesn't recognize the APU at all.

Also, as i mentioned in OP, I dont need HDD, monitor or Cabinet. Also wouldn't prefer to go for Corsair CX. Heard bad things.

Also, 1050Ti Mini for 11000...where?
Old 14-02-18   #4
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Ashes, The Rain and I.

Submerged is very HonorableSubmerged is very Honorable

This game - Path of Exile on Steam?
The min system requirements listed on the Steam page are ancient so I doubt the recommended specs would be much more demanding. Saw a YT video of someone with an i3 4170/GTX 950 pulling around 200 fps so why do you think a R3 1200, which is a quad core chip, won't suffice? And based what I've read, Ryzen BIOS/RAM issues have mostly been fixed.

Plus, if you get the new R3 2200G, you probably won't even need a discrete GPU if 60 fps is your target. Granted, you might have to wait a little longer for updated boards but it could be worth it. The i3 8100, which is also a quad core, would be another option but again, boards are a problem. I'd suggest waiting for these chips to get more board options.

Either of those two PSUs would do fine with Seasonic being the better choice of course. Actually, even a 450W PSU should be plenty but a bit more wattage won't hurt. And if you can swing it, I'd recommend a modular PSU e.g the Seasonic M12II Evo if you care about cable management. The Seasonic non-modular ones have a truckload of thick SATA/molex cables and it can be a real pain stowing them away to keep the build clean especially in a case with limited space and, they aren't that much cheaper than the modular ones.
https://www.mdcomputers.in/smps/seas...-ss-520gb.html
https://www.mdcomputers.in/smps/seas...i-520-evo.html

You can look for cheap SSD's on eBay but take care when buying on eBay.

Last edited by Submerged; 14-02-18 at 07:08 PM.
Submerged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-18   #5
teh nuB!
happy!

Originally Posted by Submerged View Post
This game - Path of Exile on Steam?
The min system requirements listed on the Steam page are ancient so I doubt the recommended specs would be much more demanding. Saw a YT video of someone with an i3 4170/GTX 950 pulling around 200 fps so why do you think a R3 1200, which is a quad core chip, won't suffice? And based what I've read, Ryzen BIOS/RAM issues have mostly been fixed.

Plus, if you get the new R3 2200G, you probably won't even need a discrete GPU if 60 fps is your target. Granted, you might have to wait a little longer for updated boards but it could be worth it. The i3 8100, which is also a quad core, would be another option but again, boards are a problem. I'd suggest waiting for these chips to get more board options.

Either of those two PSUs would do fine with Seasonic being the better choice of course. Actually, even a 450W PSU should be plenty but a bit more wattage won't hurt. And if you can swing it, I'd recommend a modular PSU e.g the Seasonic M12II Evo if you care about cable management. The Seasonic non-modular ones have a truckload of thick SATA/molex cables and it can be a real pain stowing them away to keep the build clean especially in a case with limited space and, they aren't that much cheaper than the modular ones.
https://www.mdcomputers.in/smps/seas...-ss-520gb.html
https://www.mdcomputers.in/smps/seas...i-520-evo.html

You can look for cheap SSD's on eBay but take care when buying on eBay.

They keep updating the game every 3 months, new effects, skills etc. Performance depends on the skills used, areas and stuff. I definitely need a discrete GPU, since that isn't the only game I plan to play, just the main one. Also discrete helps keep upgrade needs down for a while.

Thanks for the clarification on Ryzen BIOS.
The reason I'm weary of the Zen+ APU's is because the current motherboards won't be BIOS complaint with them. Flashing the new motherboard with a BIOS if the APU isn't recognized at all will be a hassle. Rather not go through that. Teething issues

I wouldn't mind the non-modular Seasonic either. My cabinet has plenty of room in the back to shove/rout cables, though depending on how the budget works out, I might go for a better PSU. 520W will be enough to run everything right? 2 HDD's, maybe 1 SSD, 4 LED fans, 2 non LED ones. Was using a VS 550 so far.

Unless the new Coffee Lake chipsets come out this week, I can't really afford to wait. Some time constraints involved. Since my previous build was Intel (i7 2600) I wouldn't mind going for it, but the Z370 chipsets are just way too costly considering I don't even intend to buy a 'K' CPU.

What are some good Ryzen B350 boards? X370 is a bit much for me, but I don't want to go for A320. Wouldn't do a Ryzen justice.
Some recommendations I've read are:
Asus Prime B350 Plus
Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
MSI B350 Tomahawk
MSI B350 Gaming Plus
MSI B350 PC Mate

One thing, do these motherboards give POST beeps? I read somewhere that some don't, then how do people troubleshoot errors?
Old 15-02-18   #6
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Ashes, The Rain and I.

@vinaykamat14
First off, is your previous build (i7 2600) still fully functional? If it is, then I don't see the point in getting a new chip if a 1050 Ti/1060 3GB is the best GPU you can get. The 2600 is still a very capable chip and with cards like the 1050 Ti/1060 3GB, you are not going to get any noticeable performance gains by going with a current gen i5 or R5 over it. You'll get roughly the same performance whether they are paired with a 2600 or an i3/R3 or an i5/R5. In short, you'll be GPU limited long before you're CPU limited in just about everything you'll play.

My oc'ed 2500K is currently paired with a 1070 Ti which you could say is mismatched AF but it still keeps me at 60 fps in most places in a heavily modded Skyrim which really benefits from a strong CPU. I don't think any updates to PoE is going to bother a 2600 anytime soon. Since you intend to play other games as well, you'd be better off getting a more powerful GPU.

Check these videos of a 2500K vs R3/R5 chips among others paired with much more powerful GPUs and decide for yourself if its worth the upgrade:

But if you still insist on upgrading, then I can't recommend the i3 8100 or R3 1200 anymore cause the 2600 is probably at least as good as the former and is certainly better than the latter in terms of gaming. You'll need to go up to a 1500/1600 or a current gen i5 for it to even count as an upgrade and even then you probably won't see much difference if any with the cards in question.

Yes, a 520W is way more than enough especially for a card like the 1050 Ti which doesn't require an external 6 pin connector (at least most models don't). A quality 450W unit should be plenty but like I said, having a bit more wattage at your disposal won't hurt. Use this to get a rough idea about your power consumption and PSU requirements - https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
And if the difference between the Seasonic PSUs is under 1000 bucks, I'd go with the modular one irrespective of how good the cable management options in your case are. Btw, which case do you have?

You should go with a B350 board irrespective of the Ryzen processor you wish to purchase. Haven't checked out Ryzen boards since I put off my upgrade so can't recommend one. You'll have to read up on them. As for POST beeps, boards should in case of errors, shouldn't they? If one doesn't come with a speaker attached (like mine did), it should at least have the option to be able to plug one in.

Last edited by Submerged; 15-02-18 at 03:54 PM.
Old 20-02-18   #7
teh nuB!
happy!

The motherboard in my old system(Asus P8P67 Pro) went kaput. Audio and Ethernet controllers not working. The PCI-E ports are acting funny too. Since there are no good 1155 motherboards available, I thought I can use the 2600 as an upgrade for a Pentium PC and get a new one for regular use. If that were not the case I would 100% keep using the i7. It's been a dream for the past 6 years.

Case is mentioned in OP, its the CM HAF 912 Combat with windowed side panel.

Researching the other things now. One particular piece of advice I received about the Seasonic S12II/M12II is "Forget those PSUs. Old group-regulated design and topology. It's too old for new systems". They recommended Corsair CX550(new 2017 one) or the costlier Corsair TX550M.
Old 21-02-18   #8
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Ashes, The Rain and I.

Just because they are based on an older design doesn't mean they won't work fine with new hardware. Sure, there's more modern PSUs but most would be either over budget, not readily available out here or not up to the quality for all their modernity. Unless you're ready to buy used, you aren't exactly spoilt for choice in the 6-7K price range (which I am guessing is your PSU budget based on the initial choices mentioned in your OP).
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewto...?f=7&t=1369223
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...le-with-ryzen/
Ryzen build - searching right psu - Systems - Tom's Hardware

Btw, who recommended this new CX over a Seasonic PSU? Can you provide a link?

Last edited by Submerged; 21-02-18 at 10:30 PM.
Old 24-02-18   #9
teh nuB!
happy!

It was u/AbhiFT on reddit.

Also checked out some reviews and tier lists like the one on LinusTechTips and browsed some of the forums. Thinking of the Corsair CX650M. The refresh seems to be new, well regarded and is Tier 3 on Linus. Wish the TX550M was available, but I guess it isn't meant to be.
Post New Thread  Reply