Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Hardware and Case Mods
Register Forgot Password?

Old 09-06-13   #1
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Need GSkill/nVidia stickers ..

A Little Rectengular Cabbie- Building from Scratch

June 09 - 2013 (Sunday).

I always wanted to build a compact cuboid case with enormous airflow and exhaust - meant for mATX mainboards.
Some weeks ago, I Initially started my project with a 12" x 12" x 12" cuboid case which could hold an ATX mainboard. I changed my plan and without a blueprint, I started this small rectangular case build three days ago. Being a householder plus a typical Indian farmer and an employee at a private school. I usually work only on Sundays. I dropped the idea of making a blueprint using AutoCad or Google Sketch as the blueprint is in my mind.

Here is the picture of my first but dropped project. This dropped project and the current project are almost similar in design except the size in L x B x H.

Basic details of this un-named project :-

Cabinet size :- 10.5" W x 12" H x 15" L which will be divided horizontally at a ratio of 8" : 4" by a plate which will hold motherboard.
8" in the upper section and 4" in the lower section.
4" lower section :- Will house the PSU and DVD RW+
8" upper section :- Will house the system and storage devices.
This cabinet will accommodate a Gigabyte B75M-D3H + an Intel i7-2600+ Cooler Master V6 cooler + 2 HDDs and a SSD + 2 DVD RWs with a Seasonic S1II 620W PSU.
Yes, there will be four 120mm fans in the upper section as intake and exhaust. The sides of the upper section ( 8" section ) will use perforated sheets as side panels.
The sides will accommodate two 120mm fans and if I change my cpu cooler in the future such as a liquid cooler, one of the side can provide space for two 120mm fans.

Three days ago, I went to the local scrapyard to check their garbage collection and I found a iron sheet measuring 16" x 20" ( 16 gauge ) and bought the same for Rs. 200/-. There, I also found a 14" x 14" perforated sheet ! Local scrapyard is my source of materials.
With iron cutting scissor I made a 11.5" x 16" plate which I later bent the corners of the plate to a measurement of 10.5" x 15" which will be the base plate of the cabbie and also four 12" x 1" + two 10.5" x 1" + four 15" x 1" iron sheets were cut out to make pillar and support rods.
Here are the pictures.

With a hammer, I straightened the small sheets to make pillar and support rods and bended the sheets to 90 degree to make L shape.

The iron sheet being bended. Thanks to a local Iron and Steel Almirah making unit for letting me use their bending machine.

The angled pillar and support rods are made.

The angled rods being checked for straightness.

This is how the skeletal frame of this cabbie should be erected :

Still, the basement plate needs a 120x120mm cut for air inlet to the PSU. Base plate cutting :

Hammer and iron chisel are the tools I used for all the cuttings. I don't have a Dremel heh heh heh ! Aah I will definitely buy a Dremel soon.

Here are some scraps I am going to use in this project, which has been bought from the local scrapyard for Rs.100/-

Today evening, I will try to go to the local Iron and Steel Almirah making unit for soldering and assembling the skeletal frame of this cabinet.
I will keep updating about my project and I firmly believe that the precious suggestions from my fellow Eonians will make my project one of the best !
@ livfstdieyoung, you are being tagged here, as I need your valuable suggestion !

Last edited by tamocha11; 12-06-13 at 07:50 PM.
tamocha11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-13   #2
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
wheee

livfstdieyoung is Mysterious
Re: A Little Rectengular Cabbie- Building from Sratch

Looks great XD cant believe you did all that with basic tools get a dremel soon.
keep updating to
tamocha11 likes this.
AMD Phenom ll 1100T + Sunbeam core contact freezer 120 || Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 || Gainward GTX 570 || EVM DDR3 8 GB 1333Mhz || Dell ST2220L || Corsair VX 450 || Steelseries kinzu || TVS Gold || Razer Goliathus || Sennheiser HD205

Planning to sell :Ibanez RG 370B (bridge needs repair ) , Gator universal guitar flight case and ZOOM G7.1ut ..
livfstdieyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13   #3
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

tamocha11 is very Honorabletamocha11 is very Honorable
Re: A Little Rectengular Cabbie- Building from Scratch

Originally Posted by livfstdieyoung View Post
et a dremel soon. keep updating to
Yep, I am going to buy a multi rotary tool soon. Thanks.

Last edited by tamocha11; 12-06-13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-06-13   #4
teh spamm[E]R!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

thebanik is extemely Distinguished
thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished

There are many local multi rotary tool available but I guess they may not work with as finesse as Dremel. Good start, would wait for further updates.
tamocha11 likes this.
Maximus V Gene (MSI Z77-GD65, Gigabyte P67A-UD7, EVGA Classified E760,MSI Eclipse,DFI DK P45 Plus, Foxconn Mars, Asus P5Ne-SLI, Asus P5B Deluxe/Wifi AP), Intel 3770k Benched @ 6.7Ghz, Intel 2600K Benched @ 5.7 Ghz, AMD 8150 Benched @ 7.45 Ghz, Intel 980X Benched @ 6.07Ghz, AMD 970BE Benched @ 6.63Ghz, (Intel i5 680 Benched @ 6.44Ghz, Intel i7 950 Benched @ 5150Mhz, Intel E8600 Benched @ 5.71Ghz, Intel QX9650 Benched @5.41Ghz, Intel Core2 Duo E8400@4.6Ghz, e4300 @ 3.52 Ghz), Thermalright Venomous X, GSkill 6400 2 x 1 GB @ 1260Mhz , HIS 7970 (MSI GTX 580, MSI GTX 480, EVGA GTX295, Asus 4870 x2, EVGA 9800GX2, Visiontek 3870 x2, XFX 8800GT, Nvidia 7900GTX, XFX 8600GT), DELL E248WFP Monitor, CoolerMaster Benchtable, Antec HCP 1200W, Altec Lansing 641 400 RMS Watts with Auzentech X-Plosion

SVGTECH HOC40 and HOC20 Review

Corsair Vengeance K90, M90 and M60 Review

Gigabyte P67 UD7 + Intel i7 2600k Preview

Strontium Ultra Speed 128GB SSD Review

Gigabyte GX-X58A-UD9 Review
thebanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13   #5
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Looking good tamocha11. Looking forward to see how it is when finished.
tamocha11 likes this.
Old 12-06-13   #6
Idiki gold ftw.
Community Moderator

Rig Gallery

Xanan is simply GreatXanan is simply GreatXanan is simply GreatXanan is simply GreatXanan is simply GreatXanan is simply GreatXanan is simply GreatXanan is simply GreatXanan is simply GreatXanan is simply GreatXanan is simply Great

Nice work there. I used the same design for my half life cabbie as well. The lower section may be a little difficult to manage with the wiring due to limited space. Also, see if you can have a fan on the top to exhaust air. Do you have a location in mind for the power and reset buttons? I put mine in the front panel and the wires from the front panel proved to be very difficult to manage.

Keep going. It's nice to see some one modding here.
@vijayninel Still waiting
tamocha11 likes this.
Project: reWenge
On Hold: Project: Flux

Xanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13   #7
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

Originally Posted by Xanan ♥ View Post
see if you can have a fan on the top to exhaust air. Do you have a location in mind for the power and reset buttons? I put mine in the front panel and the wires from the front panel proved to be very difficult to manage.
Thanks @Xanan ♥ for the valued suggestion. My plan is to put the power + reset buttons, fan controller, card reader and sound input and output panels in the front. Suggestions are welcome heh heh heh !
I have seen your projects. Superb ! I also tried a 12" x 12" x12" cuboid but dropped the project.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Originally Posted by thebanik View Post
There are many local multi rotary tool available but I guess they may not work with as finesse as Dremel. Good start, would wait for further updates.
Thanks brother Banik for the suggestion. If I buy one it will be a Dremel as there is no match for Dremel, even Bosch.
Old 12-06-13   #8
Idiki gold ftw.
Community Moderator

Rig Gallery

Xanan is simply GreatXanan is simply GreatXanan is simply GreatXanan is simply GreatXanan is simply GreatXanan is simply GreatXanan is simply GreatXanan is simply GreatXanan is simply GreatXanan is simply GreatXanan is simply Great

Originally Posted by tamocha11 View Post
Thanks @Xanan ♥ for the valued suggestion. My plan is to put the power + reset buttons, fan controller, card reader and sound input and output panels in the front. Suggestions are welcome heh heh heh !
I have seen your projects. Superb ! I also tried a 12" x 12" x12" cuboid but dropped the project.
I don't have a practical solution for this. What I did was to hide the front panel from the inside by another acrylic piece, and then ran the wire straight up to the top, and brought it down from there. A better solution would be possible if the mobo was in the lower compartment, and the PSU etc in the upper. In this case, ventilation can be done from the top and the back/sides. Also, you will avoid a big mess of wires. Sadly, this solution occured to me after I'd already made most of the cabbie and I couldnt implement it then.

You would also be making your life a lot easier by planning beforehand because once something is made, and then you find a problem, it would be quite tricky to sort it out.
Xanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-13   #9
teh priesT!
[E]onian
Do It Yourself...

Rig Gallery

rakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Great

That is a super good start. I like the whole idea very much.

One thing i would like to add, don't use these iron angle rod.

The iron sheet used in making angle rod is too thin. These are not rigid and think will not be able to maintain the shape of the final case after adding heavy hardware.

Suggest to use thick gauge iron or aluminium angle rods.
November 2010
rakesh_sharma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-13   #10
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

Originally Posted by rakesh_sharma23 View Post
Suggest to use thick gauge iron or aluminium angle rods.
Thanks @rakesh_sharma23 for the suggestion. Mine is a hit and trial mode, to start with. I'll see to your valuable suggestion, by changing the pillars to more thicker ones. Thanks !
Post New Thread  Reply