Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Electronics and Consumer Durables > Mobile Phones
Register Forgot Password?

Old 06-06-11   #1
avi
teh priesT!
[E]onian
The [E] Boy :P

IOS 5: BBM-style Messaging, Android-style Notifications, Widgets, and More?

mock up image :

If you’re wondering what’s in store for WWDC today, you may be able to take a little breather. We’ve just gotten info from a source detailing the pieces to come in the latest version of iOS, and while the news may not be completely surprising, Apple is definitely turning up the heat on competitors with its newest additions to the already-powerful OS. Want the details? Keep reading after the break.

Messaging

This one is a doozy, and will strike a crazy blow to RIM if true. The word is that Apple is readying its own MMS / SMS protocol which will be a native part of the phone. We’re not entirely clear on how this would work, but apparently it will be able to automatically identify iOS users and route the message accordingly. We’re told the functionality would be similar to third party applications like Textie, but with less fuss. If this pans out, both carriers and the folks in Waterloo should be very concerned about their ownership of messaging. This would be a game changing addition to the platform.

Notifications

This is the sore thumb that everyone has been drilling Apple on, and based on what we’re hearing, the pop-up pain is going away forever. Notifications will now be handled in drop down located at the top of the screen (similar to MobileNotifier, seen in the image above). Messages will appear and then slide back up in a unobtrusive manner, similar to webOS. There have been some leaked screenshots floating around the web for the last 24 hours, but those are not the real deal. The actual window looks more like a white, gradient Growl notification. But that’s not all…

Widgets / notification window

The notifications will be constantly accessible through a pulldown window which you reach by swiping at the top of the screen downward… just like Android. Not only will this screen house your recent notifications, but it will tout proper widgets like weather, stocks, and more. Sadly, we’re hearing that the weather icon will still not be live, meaning no matter what the weather actually is, you’ll see 73 degrees and sunny every time you look at it. An odd choice, but at least Apple has seen fit to add some glanceable info here.

Lock screen

Surprisingly, Apple is making significant changes to the lock screen as well. There will now be notifications shown on this screen with a small icon to the left of each notification — you can drag that icon as you would the unlock slider and you’ll be taken directly to the app itself (similar to TouchWiz for Android). You won’t get weather or stock widgets here, only notifications — and it’s not clear if upcoming calendar events or the like will be represented.
Link - iOS 5: BBM-style messaging, Android-style notifications, widgets, and more? | This is my next...

So now Samsung & Google sue Apple ?
Old 06-06-11   #2
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
bleh

Aumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly Admirable
Re: IOS 5: BBM-style Messaging, Android-style Notifications, Widgets, and More?

Google can. Samsung, maybe ( touchwiz ).

These wars will last forever. Only the consumer will win.
Desktop - Core i5 4670K - 4.2Ghz @ 1.16v | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 | Gigabyte Z87-D3HP | Sapphire R7 250X 1GB DDR5 | HD555 | Fiio E7 | Ikari Optical | TVS Gold | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD + Seagate 7200.10 500GB | Seagate Expansion 2TB USB3 | BenQ GW2255HM

Mobile - iPhone 5S Gold 16GB - 7.0.3 Jailbroken; Nexus 7 - Stock 4.4.2; Skullcandy Ink'd 2 Headset.
Aumkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11   #3
avi
teh priesT!
[E]onian

avi is highly Admirableavi is highly Admirableavi is highly Admirableavi is highly Admirableavi is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by Aumkar View Post

These wars will last forever. Only the consumer will win.

Android consumers already won. Give some one more year, it will be fully perfect [battery, lag issues etc]. And as far, Apple consumers [Indian], they pretend they won. *Okay, I just did *

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

and one thing for sure, Apple may be implementing these things late, but they wil make it perfect, clean & lag free. Atleast I hope.

*Oh, I can't believe, now I have notifications on home screen ! Tears rolling my cheeks*

and I still remember how it was when they introduced Multitasking
avi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11   #4
Let me be honest !
Banned
I havent set my status yet.

MaxAxe is sickeningly DreadfulMaxAxe is sickeningly DreadfulMaxAxe is sickeningly DreadfulMaxAxe is sickeningly Dreadful

I copy you... you copy me ... we all look the same

"Genius is one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration. Accordingly, a 'genius' is often merely a talented person who has done all of his or her homework." - Thomas A Edison
MaxAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11   #5
avi
teh priesT!
[E]onian

avi is highly Admirableavi is highly Admirableavi is highly Admirableavi is highly Admirableavi is highly Admirable

^I will just copy and paste here

Yeah, that's it. So Apple has copied Android notifications. Meanwhile, Android copied pinch-to-zoom, inertial scrolling, pure-touch interfaces, etc. Oh, and let's not forget all the other Google clones: Google TV (Apple TV), Google Bookstore (Kindle/iBooks), Google Music (iTunes, without the ability to, you know, buy stuff), Honeycomb (iPad), etc, etc, etc.
avi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19   #6
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

fireboy01 is Mysterious

I hope this will happen, fireboy and watergirl
fireboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply