Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Storage Solutions
Register Forgot Password?

Old 17-09-07   #1
A Guru
[E] Guru
I havent set my status yet.

Bitsetting your drive!

What is it & do you need it?

The Book Type is a field of four bits at the start of every DVD (in the physical format information section of the control data block) that indicates what the physical format of the disc is. Many devices will use this "Book Type Field" to determine how the disc should be treated.

One common cause of compatibility problems is the failure of a device to recognize the Book Type of the disc that has been loaded, most likely as a result of the device being manufactured before that particular Book Type has been defined. (E.g., most DVD playback devices made before mid-2004 will not recognize the relatively new DVD+R DL Book Type). For DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD+R DL discs, it is possible to change the Book Type field value to the value for DVD-ROM (or in some rare and unorthodox cases, even the value for DVD-R) in order to fool older devices that do not recognize newer Book Type Field values (this process is known as bitsetting).

As well as the above in some more recent DVD players changing Book Type to DVD-ROM can eliminate a certain type of blocking (minute) or occasional skipping (often with DL & around the layerbreak).

The how:

Bitsetting on many drives is temporal. i.e. Is only temporary.
Some s/w programs will do the bitsetting for you automatically.
ImgBurn & Nero being just two examples.

However if using programs that do not provide this feature. All is not lost.
Make sure you have the blank media already inserted into drive.
Then using CD/DVDSpeed.
Run the program > Extras > Bitsetting > Then slecting the right media (i.e. DVD+R-DVD+RW-DVD+DL) make sure the new settin says DVD-ROM > Click on Set button.
You should then get a success displayed. You can now close CD/DVDSpeed.
Unfortunately you will have to repeat this process.

Last edited by zebadee; 17-09-07 at 02:51 AM.
zebadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-07   #2
teh zeuS!
[E]onian

Chief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly Admirable
Re: Bitsetting your drive!

Nice work
Chief-Techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-07   #3
iEvangelist
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
GET PEBBLE.

Rig Gallery

Ad1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply Great

Nice article, explains quite a bit.

Im a n00b about ODD's so ..
Misc : Playstation 3, Xbox 360, iPhone 5, Nexus 4, iPad (3rd gen) 32GB.
Ad1tya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-07   #4
Certified Insane
[E]onian

The Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scale
The Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scale

What is bisetting? I dont get it
The Sorcerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-07   #5
A Guru
[E] Guru

zebadee is highly Reputablezebadee is highly Reputablezebadee is highly Reputablezebadee is highly Reputable

Hi
When a DVD is first inserted, there are 4 bits of data to tell the player what media this is. This is known as the BookType.
i.e. DVD + or - or DVD-ROM.
Bitsetting the drive itself or through the s/w used to burn DVD, means the the BookType is changed. So the player is tricked into seeing a DVD-ROM not DVD+R/+RW/+DL.
DVD-R/-RW/-DL do not & for our purposes cannot be bitset (BookTyped). But they don't need to be anyway. They came later & the format means they are treated like DVD-ROMs by players.
Old 22-09-07   #6
A Guru
[E] Guru

zebadee is highly Reputablezebadee is highly Reputablezebadee is highly Reputablezebadee is highly Reputable

Hi
BTW I failed to mention that ;
'You can also set/change your DVD+RW Media's bitsetting/booktype, but the difference is that you can bitset DVD+RW Media even AFTER you have burned it.'
Old 23-09-07   #7
dattebayo!
Community Moderator
Kaizoku Ou Ni Ore Wa Naru

Rig Gallery

Prash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly Famed

Nice article and a nice feature, thanks zebadee. Got to try it with some of my older disks..

Guide to write an Article at [E]
(And win prizes !)

"Well done is better than well said"

Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10   #8
teh nuB!

Journals009 is Mysterious

The content was really informative. Bitsetting the drive means

* Setting the backup to DVD-ROM for much higher compatibility.
* It is done during the Burning Process
* It is also used and works for the Burner.
Journals009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply