Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Everything Under the Sun
Register Forgot Password?

Old 07-10-09   #1
Rod
teh nuB!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

The A-Z of online shopping

In this IT/Innovative era, online shopping has become fairly common but there are some who are new to this concept & need to know/learn the basics to proceed further & brace themselves up with adequate knowledge to be able to indulge in safe online transactions.
A host of products can be bought from both from India & abroad. The ones who are into the trade & know the in's & out's should contribute their knowledge in this thread. Starting from:
- What all does one need to shop online? Offcourse apart from computer & broadband acess!
- Can Debit/ATM card be used for transactions Worldover?
- How to use such cards safely? Considering Phishing, hacks, etc.
- What's the complete procedure that's followed from Order to delivery of goods?
- On certain goods Customs duties is levid, how to deal with these? Keeping in mind some people live far away from ports, can they deal with customs from their place of residence?
- What other means can be employed to order products online? i.e. for the people who do not have a Credit/Debit card?
- Any other important inputs!
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09   #2
teh priesT!
[E]onian
LCmediaHouse

Dinesh_Malhotra is highly AdmirableDinesh_Malhotra is highly AdmirableDinesh_Malhotra is highly AdmirableDinesh_Malhotra is highly AdmirableDinesh_Malhotra is highly AdmirableDinesh_Malhotra is highly Admirable
Re: The A-Z of online shopping

wat is this ?

are u askin or informin ?

Last edited by Dinesh_Malhotra; 07-10-09 at 12:47 PM.
Dinesh_Malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09   #3
Rod
teh nuB!
[E]onian

Rod is highly AdmirableRod is highly AdmirableRod is highly AdmirableRod is highly AdmirableRod is highly AdmirableRod is highly Admirable

Asking ofcourse!

"Content taken"! from where? To the best of my knowledge, its all original.

Wish you would have replied something useful!
Old 07-10-09   #4
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
bleh

Aumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by Rod View Post
1 What all does one need to shop online? Offcourse apart from computer & broadband acess!
2 Can Debit/ATM card be used for transactions Worldover?
3 How to use such cards safely? Considering Phishing, hacks, etc.
4 What's the complete procedure that's followed from Order to delivery of goods?
5 On certain goods Customs duties is levid, how to deal with these? Keeping in mind some people live far away from ports, can they deal with customs from their place of residence?
6 What other means can be employed to order products online? i.e. for the people who do not have a Credit/Debit card?
1. Credit Card/Debit Card/Bank Account/Paypal/PaisaPay/Computer/Internet/Proper Merchant.
2. Yes.
3. Most companies never send mails asking for CC#. Always look for where the links provided in emails end up. For example. A very good Paypal email, Link goes to www.somethingsomething.ru . Not cool.
4. You'll place the order, pay for it, Merchant will give you shipping details after 'x' working days, then you can track shipping using online trackers.
5. Dunno about this. Never had customs problems while I was in the US or Canada.
6. You can make a bank payment to merchant's account, give him the transaction number and details ( including date, time, etc ) and he'll provide shipping details when theyre available.

Hope this helped.
Desktop - Core i5 4670K - 4.2Ghz @ 1.16v | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 | Gigabyte Z87-D3HP | Sapphire R7 250X 1GB DDR5 | HD555 | Fiio E7 | Ikari Optical | TVS Gold | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD + Seagate 7200.10 500GB | Seagate Expansion 2TB USB3 | BenQ GW2255HM

Mobile - iPhone 5S Gold 16GB - 7.0.3 Jailbroken; Nexus 7 - Stock 4.4.2; Skullcandy Ink'd 2 Headset.
Aumkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09   #5
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
ROROROROROORORO'

M@J!NBuu~ is highly AdmirableM@J!NBuu~ is highly AdmirableM@J!NBuu~ is highly AdmirableM@J!NBuu~ is highly AdmirableM@J!NBuu~ is highly Admirable

madduckins.COM !

DESHI DESHI BASARA BASARA !!!
M@J!NBuu~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09   #6
Rod
teh nuB!
[E]onian

Rod is highly AdmirableRod is highly AdmirableRod is highly AdmirableRod is highly AdmirableRod is highly AdmirableRod is highly Admirable

@Akumar, thanks that was very informative.
1. What is the purpose of Paypal, Paisapay?
5. I did hear about customs interference in India but only concern is how is it settled, I mean can customs be delt from ones City of residence?
6. Bank payment through - Cheque, cash, card? Which is cheaper alternative?

@Maj, no idea as t what you meant?
Old 07-10-09   #7
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Living life king size

Jinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly Admirable

1.PayPal and PaisaPay act as intermediaries between you and the merchant. So you pay PayPal/PaisaPay and they pay the merchant. Its a matter of whom you trust with your credit card information.
5. High end Couriers like UPS, FedEx will do it for you and you can pay them when they make delivery else you have to visit the customs office and make payment to retrieve the goods. In addition to Customs you will also have to consider Octroi if you stay in states like Maharashtra. In West bengal you have another set of taxes and forms.
7. Cash is always the cheapest. Cheque is very rarely accepted in online transactions.
Jinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09   #8
Rod
teh nuB!
[E]onian

Thanks, a lot of doubts got sorted!

So, UPS, Fedex, etc. make things easier for the end customer. Do they charge custom duty, taxes, octroi at delivery?

Heard some online shopping sites charge on delivery, this sounds good!

I guess DD is also not a cheap option!

Clearing Customs duties, etc. on applicable items seems a headache if one is expected to go to the customs office.
Old 07-10-09   #9
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Living life king size

Jinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly Admirable

Yes they do charge at delivery, but the answer is not that simple. Let me give you an example. i wanted to send a mouse cable to singapore.. i went to fedex and they wanted 1000+ for courier charges.. Took it to DTDC and they sent it for ~ 250 bucks. So you see you have to pay a price for that peace of mind.

DD also generally not accepted
Jinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply