Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Buying Help > PC Buying Help
Register Forgot Password?

Old 14-10-11   #1
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
I have no status

[Urgent-Neglected Thread] Upgrading C2D

I have been thinking of upgrading my System for a really long time. My existing system specs are in the signature:
Budget: Rs18,000/-
Existing hardware setup: See signature
Components from the existing setup that you intend to keep: Monitor, Hard disk, Coolermaster Gladiator case, PSU-actually everything except the CPU+Mobo+RAM
Components that you have in mind for your new PC: CPU from AMD, anything above 955BE. Would love to buy an FX-8120
Plans to upgrade in the future: Graphic card in about a month. Max, in January. Will upgrade the PSU if required
Places from where you will buy components along with your location: Online/Locally from Lynx
Are you comfortable with buying secondhand components from the Erodov market? : Yes
Intended use of the PC [gaming/office use/rendering/HD playback etc] : Gaming (BF3), GWAS (Genome Wide Association Studies)-requires a lot of CPU powers-calculations take hours to complete even when using CUDA cards.
Brand preferences: AMD
Monitor resolution and size: 1920x1080 22inch
Will you be overclocking your setup?: Yes, whenever I think it is getting slower
Which OS will you use?: Linux for work and Movies,Windows 7 for gaming

Please not that although I have an EEEPC for downloading I still wouldn't like my system to use huge amount of electricity. I would like to know if upgrading to the FX-6100 make sense for me. I would have liked to upgrade to 2500K but it will go outside budget and anyways I would prefer to upgrade to AMD this time.
Core i5 2500K|| Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3|| 8GB DDRIII 1600 MHz RAM||CORSAIR GS600|| Zotac GTX560 Ti|| Samsung 2233sw|| Razor Abyssus mouse|| Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler|| Clip Zip with Audio Fishcher DBA-02
Proud owner of a Kindle 3 WiFi

Last edited by baccilus; 23-10-11 at 01:28 PM.
baccilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-11   #2
Banned
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

Sumonpathak is extremely Renowned
Sumonpathak is extremely RenownedSumonpathak is extremely RenownedSumonpathak is extremely Renowned
Re: AMD BullDozer Releases! Reviews Inside

from the rig in your sig?? its worth it
happy_carrera811 and WCK FTW! like this.

Cause I won't wait for the debt to be repaid

Time has come for you

Sumonpathak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-11   #3
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
I have no status

baccilus is highly Prominentbaccilus is highly Prominentbaccilus is highly Prominent

Originally Posted by Sumonpathak View Post
from the rig in your sig?? its worth it
DO NOT mock my rig
I meant will it be better for me to upgrade to some other processor rather than the FX-6100. I don't want to spend more than 15K on Mobo+CPU (and maybe RAM too).
Old 14-10-11   #4
Banned

Rig Gallery

Sumonpathak is extremely RenownedSumonpathak is extremely RenownedSumonpathak is extremely Renowned

dude...get a Phenom II quad core + a 990 x/990FX mobo....should come withing 15k....
Old 14-10-11   #5
Xeo
Th[E] Troll
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Papa Donger

Xeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply Great

@baccilus:
Well, its upto you, 990FX grants you some bonuses in the form of SLI/CFX, but I would suggest sticking with a Phenom II hexa-core for now.
BD is way overpriced for the performance it gives, so I would say wait it out till prices fall.
Get something like:
990FX mobo
1090T
4Gb DDR3 RAM
@Sumonpathak: Die n00b die! Stealing my posts!
GTX580 Twin Frozr II
Silent Pro M700
Tempest 410 Elite
Xeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-11   #6
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
I have no status

baccilus is highly Prominentbaccilus is highly Prominentbaccilus is highly Prominent

Thanks @Xeo and @Sumonpathak. I will get that rig in a couple of weeks max . I have been waiting for the BD for a really long time now. It's funny I wont even buy it now. Can you please suggest the motherboard too.
BTW, more importantly, will the next bulldozer series support the current Bulldozer socket?

Last edited by baccilus; 14-10-11 at 10:23 PM.
Old 14-10-11   #7
Banned

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by Xeo View Post
errr....what....how?????
Old 14-10-11   #8
teh priesT!
[E]onian
gaming on android

mrcool63 is highly Admirablemrcool63 is highly Admirablemrcool63 is highly Admirablemrcool63 is highly Admirablemrcool63 is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by baccilus View Post
Can anyone tell me about the performance and Power requirement of the Fx 6100 in comparison to the Phenom 6 cores. Is it worth upgrading from my current rig (signature) to the FX 6100.
Requirements: Gaming, GWAS (Genome Wide Association Studies)-requires a lot of CPU powers-calculations take hours to complete even when using CUDA cards.
There will be quite an advantage by upgrading to the 6100 compared to the phenom for folding.. many are actually saying that these may be akin to x2's and x3's of the phenom era and may unlock.. who knows but in all honesty i actually believe you may be the right person to buy a 8120.. not the 8150 but its younger brother.. you can definitely us all the 8 cores!!
mrcool63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-11   #9
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
I have no status

Originally Posted by mrcool63 View Post
There will be quite an advantage by upgrading to the 6100 compared to the phenom for folding.. many are actually saying that these may be akin to x2's and x3's of the phenom era and may unlock.. who knows but in all honesty i actually believe you may be the right person to buy a 8120.. not the 8150 but its younger brother.. you can definitely us all the 8 cores!!
Lets see how much it costs here in India. If it comes off below 8K I might go for it. I use my CPUs for a really long time.
Old 14-10-11   #10
Xeo
Th[E] Troll
Papa Donger

Xeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply Great

@Bacillus: I would suggest the 990FX-UD3 or the Sabertooth.
Old 14-10-11   #11
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
I have no status

Originally Posted by Sumonpathak View Post
dude...get a Phenom II quad core + a 990 x/990FX mobo....should come withing 15k....
@baccilus:
Well, its upto you, 990FX grants you some bonuses in the form of SLI/CFX, but I would suggest sticking with a Phenom II hexa-core for now.
BD is way overpriced for the performance it gives, so I would say wait it out till prices fall.
Get something like:
990FX mobo
1090T
4Gb DDR3 RAM
BTW, I am not interested in CF or SLI. What's the Mobo I can get?
Isn't the Intel 2500K for Rs 11-12K? Wouldn't a FX-8120 be a better buy than that if we include the cost of the Mobo? And what would be the difference in Power draw?
The power Draw difference seems huge:
http://www.legionhardware.com/articl...fx_4170,7.html

Last edited by baccilus; 14-10-11 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Added the power draw link
Old 14-10-11   #12
teh priesT!
[E]onian
-_-

Rig Gallery

mavihs is highly Reputablemavihs is highly Reputablemavihs is highly Reputablemavihs is highly Reputable

@baccilus
while you be overclocking you CPU???
mavihs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-11   #13
Xeo
Th[E] Troll
Papa Donger

@baccilus: Budget please!
Old 15-10-11   #14
teh priesT!
[E]onian
Semper Solus

modeSEVEN is highly AdmirablemodeSEVEN is highly AdmirablemodeSEVEN is highly AdmirablemodeSEVEN is highly AdmirablemodeSEVEN is highly AdmirablemodeSEVEN is highly AdmirablemodeSEVEN is highly Admirable

I demand a buildlog! @baccilus
Old 15-10-11   #15
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
I have no status

Originally Posted by mavihs View Post
@baccilus
while you be overclocking you CPU???
@baccilus: Budget please!
Budget is around 15K for both CPU and Mobo. @mavihs: I usually overclock the processor a couple of years after buying one. Have been running the current one at 2.93GHz instead of 2.4 for the last 2 years now.
Post New Thread  Reply