Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Interesting News on the Web
Register Forgot Password?

Old 10-12-13   #1
teh zeuS!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I'M bACK

Icon7 Windows 9 A.k.a Threshold Could Bring Back the Start Menu

Microsoft is already working on the next full version of Windows, reportedly called Threshold, and after bringing back the Start button in Windows 8.1, the company prepares another major comeback in the spring of 2015.

Microsoft watcher Paul Thurrott is reporting via unofficial sources that Redmond is working to bring back the Start Menu in Windows Threshold, clearly in an attempt to show users that it really cares about their opinions.

Microsoft decided to reimplement the Start button in Windows 8.1, saying that such a feature is actually based on customer feedback, as plenty of users requested the traditional option back in their Windows operating system.

The company is willing to continue this strategy of getting closer to buyers with the return of the Start Menu, which would make it possible for users to quickly start apps without the need for launching the Start screen.

The same report claims that the Start Menu might not be available on all versions of Windows Threshold, as Microsoft could only offer it on desktop builds of the operating system.

The company continues to bet big on the Modern UI, but it turns out that it's now ready to admit that this particular working environment is much more appropriate for touch-capable devices, so improving the desktop pretty much makes sense for everyone else.

Windows Threshold is scheduled to see daylight in early 2015 and even though Microsoft hasn't publicly talked about it, there's evidence that work has already started on this new project.

The return of the Start Menu in Windows Threshold could also bring back many more users and boost the adoption of Microsoft's modern operating systems, as the initial uptake of both Windows 8 and 8.1 have so far been below expectations. It remains to be seen whether Threshold will have what it takes to be successful.

Softpedia
The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-13   #2
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent
Re: Windows 9 A.k.a Threshold Could Bring Back the Start Menu

Originally Posted by Paul Thurrott
After bringing back the Start button in Windows 8.1, Microsoft will take the next logical step in the next Windows version and make the Start menu available as an option. It's possible this will appear only on those product versions that support the desktop.
Looks like they have been forced to roll back their beloved "Metro" project incrementally. Trying to force Metro down peoples throats has been a gargantuan failure. They should actually implement the start menu now and not wait for this "Threshold" update.
Techie#1 likes this.
Old 10-12-13   #3
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

Having used the Metro and desktop versions on touch based devices..

I think the old start menu is a useless and regressive thingy !!

Basically all they want to ensure is that the enterprise and desktop users of all kinds do not be left out !

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-13   #4
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr View Post
Having used the Metro and desktop versions on touch based devices..

I think the old start menu is a useless and regressive thingy !!

Basically all they want to ensure is that the enterprise and desktop users of all kinds do not be left out !
I think this may be news for you, but a lot of people use desktops for their everyday productive work. Touch based devices are typically smaller tablets and smartphones which are good for consumption and not production.

By all indicators the metro UI has been a colossal failure and adoption rates of Windows 8 devices reflects this.

If you see the chart above, it shows that Windows 7 is still growing faster than Windows 8. It's not in this chart, but a recent report from Net Applications had Windows 8 market share growth of .05%, while Windows 7 grew .22%.

Even among those who do adopt Windows 8 there is lot of resentment and they have to modify their system with hacks to make it functional. Start menu software makers are just minting money due to lack of this basic feature.
Techie#1 and ManISinJpr like this.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-13   #5
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

I didn't say that it is superb selling etc..
but what I mean to say is that the adoption of touch based devices is going to turn this scenario..
Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
By all indicators the metro UI has been a colossal failure and adoption rates of Windows 8 devices reflects this.
Old 12-12-13   #6
teh priesT!
[E]onian
Do It Yourself...

Rig Gallery

rakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Great

I didn't say that it is superb selling etc..
but what I mean to say is that the adoption of touch based devices is going to turn this scenario..
There will be zero percent switch over to touch screens in professional PC work environment, like designing, publications, etc.
Personally tested at a client site.. touch screen reduces output of publication professionals. Best performance was given by user using keyboard short-keys, even excises use of mouse decreased their performance.

So adoption of touch based devices are more focused on home users or just for fun..
November 2010
rakesh_sharma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-13   #7
teh zeuS!
I'M bACK

The Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply Great

The New Windows Start Menu Could Return Before Threshold
The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-13   #8
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by rakesh_sharma23 View Post
So adoption of touch based devices are more focused on home users or just for fun..
I disagree that touch based devices are more suitable for homes users. Touch controls are perfect for phones and small tablets. They are less useful on laptops and completely useless on desktops. Trying to bring touch controls on desktops is completely misconceived and regressive. It is like having one dress which has to be worn in all climates from Siachen to the thar desert. Can someone play Call of Duty on a home PC with touch screen controls? It surprises me how Microsoft cant understand something as simple as this. Being inside a large corporate culture can sometimes totally take you away from reality.
Old 12-12-13   #9
teh priesT!
[E]onian
Do It Yourself...

Rig Gallery

rakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Great

Trying to bring touch controls on desktops is completely misconceived and regressive.
Yes i agree, but at home touch screen is a great toy for children. My daughter enjoyed it a lot when i had one for few days.

Is Microsoft's development team them self uses touch screens.. ?

As a programmer my self .. touch screen is totally useless for me.
Old 12-12-13   #10
Patient_Zero
Zombie Enthusiast

realandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly Admirable

HP is bringing motion tech to laptops and desktops, so IMO touch based laptops & desktops (AIO) do cater to a percent of audience out there.

A funny story: When Kinect came out, it literally did away with what motion gaming should be. At that time people were optimistic about it, and look now, after 3 yrs, people are going ga-ga over Kinect 2.0 and calling it next-gen. Fact is, it was already next gen in 2010!

Phones are becoming modular, voice commands are becoming a norm, then why laptops and desktops shouldn't have touch screens & touch based OSes?
Right decisions may not be always the popular decisions.

The thing is, MS is trying to incorporated a more futuristic approach to the PC OS, trying to combine both touch & M/K input, just as a hybrid device.

Just my $0.02
I love Metro. Removing it would be cumbersome.
ManISinJpr likes this.
realandR3cys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-13   #11
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

Is Microsoft's development team them self uses touch screens.. ?
It is possible that they tried this experiment on their developers at the cost of productivity. I wouldnt be surprised to see some of them eating masala dosas with chopsticks because it is a "new way" of doing things.

The main reason why touch screens will never come over to desktops is - "Gorrila arm". This article sums up my thoughts accurately.

Why Touch Screens Will Not Take Over: Scientific American
Old 12-12-13   #12
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by realandR3cys View Post
The thing is, MS is trying to incorporated a more futuristic approach to the PC OS, trying to combine both touch & M/K input, just as a hybrid device.
A few thoughts from our friends in Apple on the issue.
Originally Posted by Tim Cook
Anything can be forced to converge, but the problem is that products are about tradeoffs, and you begin to make tradeoffs to the point where what you have left doesn't please anyone. You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but those things are probably not gonna be pleasing to the user.
Originally Posted by Steve Jobs
We’ve done tons of user testing on this, and it turns out it doesn’t work. Touch surfaces don’t want to be vertical. It gives great demo, but after a short period of time you start to fatigue, and after an extended period of time, your arm wants to fall off.
Old 12-12-13   #13
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

Yes but the touch based devices do come with a keyboard too just look at the tablet Surface with its superb keyboards !!

Again, I say keyboards do work with the touch devices specially from MS stable..
As a programmer my self .. touch screen is totally useless for me.

Yeah just like Steve jobs said that more than 3.5" of screen will never be implemented and that it is useless.
A few thoughts from our friends in Apple on the issue.
Old 12-12-13   #14
teh priesT!
[E]onian
Do It Yourself...

Rig Gallery

Yeah just like Steve jobs said that more than 3.5" of screen will never be implemented and that it is useless.
So you also admit that touch part of so called START Window ,, is useless for desktop users.
Than why did'nt MS made two version of Win8 one for Desktop and another for all touch devices.?
Old 12-12-13   #15
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

They have already got the desktop version built in in Windows 8 !! so what is the need to make two versions. ??
If they make two versions then people are sure to start shouting, what the F !! we are confused as to what we can buy !!!

And as for desktop, I trust my sense that I am using Windows 8.1 and have been using it for the time since it was in alpha states.. !
I love it !! I mean the Metro part..
It was difficult to start with but my son who used it from the start with me got used to it like a fish learning to swim.. !!
So you also admit that touch part of so called START Window ,, is useless for desktop users.
Than why did'nt MS made two version of Win8 one for Desktop and another for all touch devices.?
Post New Thread  Reply