Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Software Zone > Operating Systems
Register Forgot Password?

Old 09-03-12   #61
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

Re: Windows 8 Sucks on Desktop : Anandtech

I am game for any experiments, as you know.. never one to miss an opportunity
Originally Posted by Free Radical View Post
Already aware of that, that's why I was reading up on the apis so that I could code one better of my own

Sent from my Spice MI-410 on MIUI 2.2.3

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12   #62
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

@Free Radical, I am using Win 8 since last night and I think I am underwhelmed...
what do power users like us do??
I agree that it is absolutely fantastic for touch experiences but what about mouse and keyboard users who have no touch !!!

Will have to play more and then comment further.
Old 10-03-12   #63
Unelected
Staff
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr View Post
Here FR, have your Start button..
Imagine, if we make enough noise.. then MS will also add this to the final version or in one of the updates..
Start8 for Windows® 8 - Bringing back the Windows Start menu
It is not just the start button, but the whole of Metro is unsuitable for desktops and laptops. These kinds of addons wont help, Microsoft has to give an option to disable the whole of metro and have a normal desktop. Unfortunately, I dont think the people at Redmond are in a mood to listen to critics now. They will only listen to the markets when sales plunge and their stock price plummets.
Old 10-03-12   #64
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

LOLz.. you make this sound like its the Apocalypse... !!!
From the analysts view Most laptops which will come out in the next years will be touch enabled !! so it is not that bad a situation, as for desktops, I hope that they too start empbrainf touch in some sort or the other.. perhaps a touch pad of 6"x 6" or greater size for old desktops and a touch screen for the desktops with support for mouse and keyboard...
This is the future we are looking at Old Chap
Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
It is not just the start button, but the whole of Metro is unsuitable for desktops and laptops. These kinds of addons wont help, Microsoft has to give an option to disable the whole of metro and have a normal desktop. Unfortunately, I dont think the people at Redmond are in a mood to listen to critics now. They will only listen to the markets when sales plunge and their stock price plummets.
Old 10-03-12   #65
Unelected
Staff
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

From the analysts view Most laptops which will come out in the next years will be touch enabled !! so it is not that bad a situation, as for desktops, I hope that they too start empbrainf touch in some sort or the other.. perhaps a touch pad of 6"x 6" or greater size for old desktops and a touch screen for the desktops with support for mouse and keyboard...
This is the future we are looking at Old Chap
These are false prophets who dont know what they are talking about because their talk is not rooted in reality. For instance there were many such analysts in the 40's/50's who predicted that in future all travel will be by helicopters instead of by cars and every house will have helicopters. What happened to those predictions?

I think this is going to go like the New Coke marketing fiasco of 1985 which is now taught in business schools as one of the biggest marketing disasters of all time and why you should not play with the loyalty of your customers. Coca cola was forced to dump its "New" and replace it with "Classic". I suspect we will have a Windows classic in SP1 or Windows 9.
vijayninel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12   #66
Unelected
Staff
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

Ah .. here's the youtube video ..

Old 10-03-12   #67
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

^^ LOLz.. now you are behaving like an analyst and relying on the projections and past too much

Personally Windows 8 is very good, what I feel it lacks is what I wrote in the previous post of mine..
I want the power users to feel at home....
Old 10-03-12   #68
Unelected
Staff
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

Here's an interesting review I came across. Do watch the video and the forum thread. Windows 8 Beta is a UI nightmare » Forum Post by Draginol

Old 11-03-12   #69
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

This video highlights all the problems I am facing, the best video review I have come across..
they will have to make two independent versions... or let us make the decision what to choose..
Here's an interesting review I came across. Do watch the video and the forum thread. Windows 8 Beta is a UI nightmare » Forum Post by Draginol

Windows 8 consumer preview demo - YouTube

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

There I have posted this video on FB too and tagged all MS pages and Vijay too !!!
vijayninel likes this.
Old 12-03-12   #70
En Taro Adun
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Blank

Superfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply Great
I haven't used Windows 8, (don't have a functional machine) but I really hope we have an option to use the Classic version only. If Microsoft doesn't provide it, I hope the community can do something and remove Metro.

It does make sense for Microsoft to focus only on Metro, the iPad has been such a huge success for Apple, it has even outsold all the PC's in the last quarter. I don't know about India, but here the iPad is so common, it's why Microsoft wants to get into the tablet space before Apple runs away with it.

Also, I really don't think that many people will upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8, most of the sales and license money comes from new machines being sold at stores, brick and mortar or online. I guess a huge amount of people and especially the corporate world will continue to use Windows 7 for quite some time. I mean, MS has set the EOL for Windows 7 in 2020, no?
ManISinJpr likes this.

Galaxy Nexus | Samsung Series 5 Chromebook running Ubuntu!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 32GB I/O Edition
My Twitter!
My Audio Gear(Past and Present)
CanJam 2010 Pictures!!
My Last.fm Page
[E]'s Twitter!
"We all got our choices to make." "Damn Shame."
Superfrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12   #71
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

Hurraahhh !!
I have made the standard ORB function on Windows 8 !!
it is functioning as it should...

Old 12-03-12   #72
Unelected
Staff
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

Excellent. So the issue can be satisfactorily resolved by customisation
ManISinJpr likes this.
Old 12-03-12   #73
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

Yes it can be but to go back again to metro is easy but to come back to this is again a bit of dillydallying...
if a small customization can get back the ever so lovely orb then I think MS should add it themselves...

Now I can't seem to understand why we cant share the browsers on the metro and desktop mode and the apps in metro have no close button.. !!! or exit other than you going to the left top corner and drag down the window from there..
Excellent. So the issue can be satisfactorily resolved by customisation

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Here are some important keyboard shortcuts..
Keyboard shortcuts
Windows 8 is very hotkey-heavy, here are some of the shortcuts I find most useful:
  • Windows key Shows the new Start screen (Metro).
  • Win + type keyword Instant application search (same as in Windows 7).
  • Win + D Standard Windows desktop. Also minimizes/restores all open windows in desktop mode.
  • Win + Q Shows all installed apps.
  • Win + W Instant search for settings.
  • Win + F Instant search for files.
  • Win + I Settings sidebar (control panel, network, volume, brightness, notifications, and more).
  • Win + P Shows multi-monitor options, also useful for connecting an external monitor or projector.
  • Win + X Power user shortcut menu (Device Manager, Control Panel, Command Prompt, Power Options, etc.).
  • Win + Z Shows App Bar in Metro applications.
  • Win + . (period) Snaps the current Metro app to the right side of the screen. Do it twice and it will snap to the left.
  • Win + . (period) + Shift Snaps the current Metro app to the left side of the screen.
  • Win + J Switches focus between snapped Metro apps.
  • Win + Page Up / Down Moves full-screen Metro app to secondary monitor.
  • Win + Left / Right arrow Moves and snaps desktop applications in that direction, or to a different monitor.
  • Win + Tab Switches between open applications. Similar to using the left-upper hot corner with a mouse.
  • Win + L Locks Windows.

and here are some Mouse corner key commands..
Hot corners
The Start menu is no longer there, but there's a hot corner that makes up for it (unfortunately on multiple screens it's somewhat of a pain to use).
  • Lower-left corner + Left click Goes to the Start screen (Metro).
  • Lower-left corner + Right click Power user shortcut menu (Device Manager, Control Panel, Command Prompt, Power Options, etc.).
  • Upper-left corner Shows open window thumbnails, click to switch between them.
  • Upper screen limit + Click & Drag on desktop Move to left or right to snap the current desktop or Metro app to one side of the screen.
  • Lower-right corner Windows 8 Charm menu or Windows Aero Peak.
  • Upper-right corner Shows Windows 8 charm menu.
Free Radical likes this.
Old 12-03-12   #74
teh geeK!
[E]onian
wanna upgrade to Korg Krome 88

mrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputable

Hurraahhh !!
I have made the standard ORB function on Windows 8 !!
it is functioning as it should...

This is Windows 8?????? IT looks just like Windows 7...where is the change?

iShock and S-plosion

are the two new killer features of the smartphones
mrnikhilsudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12   #75
Most Valued [E]onian
Most Valued [E]onian
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

Hey @ManISinJpr. You using the Stardock app or what?
Link me up too

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear x-rays, and I wanna, I wanna smell dark matter!
Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly, because I have to, I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting, spoken language. But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me!
I'm a machine, and I could know much more, I could experience so much more, but I'm trapped in this absurd body!
And why?! Because my...creators thought that "God" wanted it that way.
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply