Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Software Zone > Operating Systems
Register Forgot Password?

Old 01-02-14   #1
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

Wtf Windows 8.1 Update 1 Could Boot Directly to Desktop

It seems that Microsoft is caving in to the pressure from users who are not finding the Metro interface to their liking and want the old interface back.
I think the Metro is superb but for non touch based PC's and old die hard users the old desktop is the only option to use...

From the current rumors about the impending Windows 8.1 update, we hear that it will have an option to boot directly to desktop mode..

I think this is going back.. what do you think ??

New rumors are beginning to emerge regarding the next update for the Windows 8 platform. They stem from a leaked build of Windows 8.1 Update 1, and show that Microsoft really has listened to feedback. Microsoft is expected to reveal Windows 8.1 Release 1 sometime in March before the BUILD conference a month later.

One of the leaked builds is Windows 8.1 Update 1 Build 9600.16606, which was acquired by Windows leaker WZOR. Now there's speculation that Microsoft partners are already testing Update 1. There's also evidence showing that Microsoft plans to allow users to boot directly into Desktop rather than load up the Start screen first.

As stated in recent posts, one of Microsoft's biggest mistakes in promoting the new operating system was to force the new interface down the consumer's throat. Many of us embraced the design, clicked on the desktop tile and went on with our lives. Many customers haven't been quite so welcoming; it was entirely too much change.

Okay, so maybe booting into the desktop isn't a big deal. But selling Windows 8 on a pre-built machine that's sporting the Modern UI may have hurt PC sales overall. Windows 8.1 is a step in the right direction, merging the traditional and the new together. But right now it may not be enough. Take a line of laptops sitting in Walmart or Best Buy, switch them all to desktop, and see if the sales increase.

In a screenshot stemming from the leaked build, you can clearly see an option reading "When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start." This resides in the Taskbar and Navigation Properties box. If users want to see the Start screen, all they need to do is click the Start button.

There's also still talk about the Metro apps on the desktop. According to the new rumors, they not only sit pinned to the taskbar, but will actually run in the desktop environment. That little tidbit wasn't expected to arrive until Windows 9, but the word is that Microsoft wants this feature ASAP.

According to the leakers, Metro apps will have an "X" box for quickly shutting down the app. They also won't look like classic windows, meaning there may just be the single "X" box in the upper right-hand corner. Another feature in Update 1 is SkyDrive. Leakers claim that Microsoft has already re-named the service to OneDrive in the platform.

March 11 is supposedly the day Microsoft releases Update 1 to Windows 8.1 customers. Another update may arrive in October if Microsoft doesn't launch Windows 9 instead. The new platform was originally scheduled to arrive April 2015, but the company may be pushing to get into "9" territory as fast as it can to leave all that Windows 8 fiasco behind.
Source !

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14   #2
xlr
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

xlr is Notable
Re: Windows 8.1 Update 1 Could Boot Directly to Desktop

I think Old desktop on start would Temp me to get Windows 8. Cos only bcz of metro im not upgrading from win 7

xlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14   #3
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

^ You are part of that group that the company is trying to please.. !!
I am quite happy with the metro interface..
ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14   #4
xlr
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

xlr is Notable

@ManISinJpr Metro is useless for non touch screen / tab users... So if MS want to Convert windows 8 to a desktop OS, Desktop Interface is Must Without using any other thirdparty Software..

Then if the User want to Switch between Normal Old fashion Desktop to new Metro interface for fun He can Do that .
xlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14   #5
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Pro Indian Modder

dedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Famed

i too am quite happy with the metro interface. very fast to work with imo.
Old 01-02-14   #6
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
ROG is the only way to go

Rig Gallery

Heavenrider is very RespectfulHeavenrider is very Respectful

I am one of those who were able to upgrade to windows 8 pro with mediacenter when microsoft announced the free upgrade (as microsoft intended i became a legit user for free) then i upgraded to windows 8.1 preview and earlier this jan i was forced to upgrade to windows 8.1 pro. The metro style for me has never gotten in the way , its always super fast, cool looking and i find myself always hitting the windows key to access some of my frequented apps or softwares, i like to keep a clean desktop and metro UI and fences both allow this and it all happens in milliseconds to access them. I also love the windows + S for searching virtually anything on my laptop (acer timeline X 4820 T with an i5 first gen) . I always put my laptop in sleep and with a touch it jumps up ready to work without any lag so both Metro UI and windows 8.1 are easy and comnfy for me to work with.

As long as the updates are free and dont get in my way , i m a happy customer.
ManISinJpr likes this.

Heavenly Rider .... Ride along or Ride against , in the journey called life.. Ride on ... do not stop too long... enjoy and move along.. never stay too long.. for we are bound by time and tide ...that no Rider can hold on.....
Heavenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14   #7
teh geeK!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r

kartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirable

Metro UI forced me to keep away from W8/8.1. I think i will upgrade to W9 hope they dont spoil it like W8
kartikoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14   #8
Most Valued [E]onian
Most Valued [E]onian
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

Metro UI is all fine but why the hell did they remove Aero
I hate using third party apps to enable locked functionality which is already built in but denied as an option to users who would prefer it.

Is it too much to ask for a simple option to toggle things off which you don't like rather than shoving them in your face?
People would rather ditch such crap.

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear x-rays, and I wanna, I wanna smell dark matter!
Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly, because I have to, I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting, spoken language. But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me!
I'm a machine, and I could know much more, I could experience so much more, but I'm trapped in this absurd body!
And why?! Because my...creators thought that "God" wanted it that way.
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14   #9
Patient_Zero
Community Moderator
Zombie Enthusiast

realandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly Admirable

Update: Windows 8.1 Update 1 leaks on the web ahead of its March release | The Verge

Quite some small, yet good changes.
realandR3cys is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply