Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Buying Help > Gadgets & Consumer Electronics Buying Advice
Register Forgot Password?

Old 22-12-13   #1
teh nuB!
in the n()()B world!

Wifi Router Buying Advice

Hi everyone,

I need to buy a Wifi router for my personal use and need advice on which one to buy.

My requirements are-
- Budget- anything under 3k.
- Signal strength - currently using it in a 1bhk flat that is not too big. Would like to have compatibility for a moderate 2bhk to keep it future proof.
- Gadgets usage - need for connecting at most 2 devices at any particular time. Have a 2 laptops, Kindle Fire, Lumia 920 and Samsung S3 which would be using the Wifi connection.
- BB connection - Using a Hathway Broadband connection(1 ~ 5 MBPS) in Bangalore. I start my internet connection by login into a Hathway webportal first.
- I do not have CD drive in my laptop so need a CD-less installation.

I do not think range would be an issue with routers selling at a range of 2-3k Rs. since I stay in a small room, but I want it to have a fast and stable connection.

After reading some older posts, I checked out Netgear WNR612, TP-Link WR841N and Asus RT N-13U B1 but I am not sure which one to buy. There might be other better models too buy I am unaware of it.

One friend suggested Linksys WRT54G2. Is it good for me?
Please help me decide on one as I need to buy it asap.

Thank you.
optimystix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-13   #2
Neo[t]
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
SteelSeries SenSei <3

prateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply Great
Re: Wifi Router Buying Advice

Go for TP link wr841,plug the cable coming out from the Hathway modem into the WAN port of the router.

And you are good to go. TP LINK will set up the network automatically. (Note please plug it in into WAN port only..).

It will ask you to set your password too.

Completely CDless, and painless.

Then coming to login part, once wifi is set, you can open login page from any of your device. U need to login only once from any of your devices.

Once logged in once, internet will work on all devices simultaneously, without requiring multiple login.

Sent Via Tapatalk 2 from my HTC DROID DNA
prateekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-14   #3
teh nuB!
in the n()()B world!

optimystix is Mysterious

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier.
@prateekS, I went in with your advice and I am fully satisfied with TP-Link WR841N purchase. Thanks for that.

For my Hathway connection, it wouldn't automatically configure though like you mentioned. Maybe I had done something wrong.
I had no patience to keep trying stuff and so downloaded the router software from their site and ran it once.
After that it was running perfectly.

The signal is great even 20 feet away and there is no problem that I can think of.
Totally worth the money I guess.
I bought it for little less than 1.8k from Snapdeal about 2 weeks ago but the price has dropped since.
prateekS likes this.
optimystix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-14   #4
Neo[t]
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
SteelSeries SenSei <3

prateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply Great

Glad that its working out fine
prateekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply