Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. (http://www.erodov.com/forums/)
-   Storage Solutions (http://www.erodov.com/forums/hardware-zone/storage-solutions/)
-   -   Why Safely Remove USB Drive ??? (http://www.erodov.com/forums/why-safely-remove-usb-drive/55329.html)

tech 11-08-12 10:05 PM

Why Safely Remove USB Drive ???

i have always wondered whats the use of safely removing pen drives than just pulling them out ? does it decrese their lifespan or smething ?:plzhelp:

saurabh1e 11-08-12 10:10 PM

Re: Why Safely Remove USB Drive ???

AFAIK it just check if the pd is in use or not

Hitesh12 11-08-12 10:13 PM

Same query here.
I don't think it is necessary when the pd is not in use.
But still need confirmation

syedthedevil 12-08-12 01:05 AM

Ah good question.
The reason is just to keep data intact. Some program may be using the data in the USB drive, so when you removed it suddenly the data may get corrupted.
Actually it does happen sometime. If you are in windows you can enable Quick removal(I suggest you read this)

Some clear explanation :
Quote:

When you plug in a USB drive, you give your PC free reign to write and read data from it; some of which is cached.

Caching occurs by not writing information immediately to the USB device, and instead keeping it in your PC's memory (RAM). If you were to yank the USB drive out of your PC before this infromation is written, or while its being written, you'll end up with a corrupted file.

However, Windows automatically disables caching on USB devices, unless you specifically say that you want it enabled. For the most part you don't have to click the 'Safely Remove Hardware' button, if you aren't writting or reading anything from the device.

Its there simply as an extra level of security preventing you from destroying your own files.
Doing so causes the files to close "gracefully", preserving data, pointers and file size indicators. When writing to disk the computer doesn't always "flush" a buffer and only part of the data may have been written. Using the proper procedure will assure that the data and pointers are in good shape.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_click_...#ixzz23Gjdney8

Heavenrider 12-08-12 01:55 AM

whoa!! nice info.. been wondering that for a while now,

but what if i m using linux? i alternate between the two a lot.
in linux i always make it a point to right click and safely remove drive, cause then the lights of the pendrive always turn off when i do that.

Timon 12-08-12 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tech (Post 777318)
whats the use of safely removing pen drives than just pulling them out ? does it decrese their lifespan or smething ?

Bro it will decrease their lifetime by getting corrupt and most important of not removing PD and just pull it off make the data corrupted. It's happen to my PD. Even the portable HDD too. Hope this help.:ciao:

Dave 12-08-12 04:45 PM

Guys, i have a habit of removing external drive without following the 'safety' procedure. Heck we all have. But one day my memory card got corrupted. I was able to recover only 10% of my files. Learned it the hard way. From that incident onwards i made it a point to first remove it the proper way.

tech 12-08-12 06:32 PM

@^^^ how did memory card got corrupt when u removed the external hard drive :P

Dave 12-08-12 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tech (Post 777631)
@^^^ how did memory card got corrupt when u removed the external hard drive :P

Sigh. I said that i have a habit of removing EHDD in an improper. So obviously i have a habit of doing the same with a memory card using card reader which is similar to a pendrive.

Kunal05 28-08-12 05:09 PM

:) thanks for the useful info. I always wondered about this too!