Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Software Zone > Operating Systems
Register Forgot Password?

Old 23-07-12   #1
Lead Lead
Administrator
12 years a admin!

Rig Gallery
idea Why IOS 6 Maps Feels Like a Small Step Back...

Hi folks,

A few of you might be surprised when reading this post. Hell, I am too.

But right now, I am running a beta version of iOS 6 which brings in the all new Maps application and things are not rosy.

As Vijay can testify, I am dependent on Maps application a lot to navigate around some unexplored parts of Bangalore. The Maps application in iOS (till 5.x; based on Google Maps) was a saviour when it came to full filling this function. However, now that the Maps application is based on TomTom, the functionality in India is limited in a big way.

The app is definitely of higher quality that the one that was default in iOS 5.x. However, a maps application is only as functional/useful as the data backing it up. I am afraid that the data is not going to improve any time soon (since TomTom has been there for a while.)

Any thoughts? In the meanwhile, I am waiting for Google to release a Maps application for iOS...

Karan

KiD0M4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-12   #2
teh nuB!
[E]onian
MsaNkadI VersiQkaN

msankadi is Notable
Re: Why IOS 6 Maps Feels Like a Small Step Back...

Yeah thats what I had expected when Apple so proudly announced to move away from Google Maps and build Maps of their own...want to see how long they take to get the street view
Hope Google decides not to launch Maps on Apple devices anymore...it should be an all out war...the other company users are sufficient to fuel the rise of Google Maps in my opinion...
msankadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-12   #3
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by KiD0M4N View Post
As Vijay can testify, I am dependent on Maps application a lot to navigate around some unexplored parts of Bangalore.
My objection was not to using the feature for finding your way around unexplored parts of Bangalore. My objection was to using the feature to navigate around repeatedly explored parts of Bangalore. If you go to a central location in a city several times a year then after a few years one expects that you will know the routes pretty well and dont require any assistance. By depending entirely upon the phone for directions and never even looking out to see what the route is you are losing out in getting to know the city you live in.

I think its best that you stay without maps for sometime. If needed stop and ask someone for directions.
thebanik and Ab-Initio like this.
Old 23-07-12   #4
Lead Lead
Administrator
12 years a admin!

Rig Gallery

KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!
KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!

Yea, Apple has forced me to do that only. Now I am looking around, seeing sign boards and asking auto guys (sigh...)
vijayninel likes this.
KiD0M4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-12   #5
iEvangelist
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
GET PEBBLE.

Rig Gallery

Ad1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply Great

Or, you could buy Sygic MapMyIndia, which works better than any competitor. Google Maps, Bing Maps, Apple Maps, everything.

App Store - Sygic & MapmyIndia: GPS Navigation

Also, Apple maps isn't a small step back, it's a major step back for countries other than USA, England, Australia and a few others.
Misc : Playstation 3, Xbox 360, iPhone 5, Nexus 4, iPad (3rd gen) 32GB.
Ad1tya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-12   #6
Lounge Bug
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Chocolate Salted Balls.

Rig Gallery

bean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famed

Karan, check if waze compatible with iOS?..
i use this for local navigation and its been very reliable.

EDIT: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/waze-...323229106?mt=8
Old 23-07-12   #7
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

ksgehlot is highly Admirableksgehlot is highly Admirableksgehlot is highly Admirableksgehlot is highly Admirableksgehlot is highly Admirableksgehlot is highly Admirable

I think I will have to disagree here with everyone here. I am so glad they have switched over to Tom Tom . Tom Tom is the most popular navigation system in the world . And BTW if you have not noticed Tom Tom is now officially available for India . India Coverage - TomTom

This is way better than MapmyIndia . Just wait for the final release of IOS6 and you will have the Tom Tom right on your IOS devices and that too for free !!!

CPU : Intel Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz OC 3.4 GHz
CPU Cooler : Zalman CNPS9500A LED
Motherboard : eVGA 750i SLI FTW
RAM : 4 GB - 2GB x 2 OCZ Reaper 8500 1066
Video Card : eVGA GTX 285 Superclocked
Asus GTX 285 TOP IN SLI
Cabinet : Cooler Master CM690 Modded
Power Supply : Corsair HX 850

ksgehlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply