Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.
Loading

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Storage Solutions
Register Forgot Password?

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24-05-13   #1
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Need GSkill/nVidia stickers ..
 
 
tamocha11's Avatar

What is the Best Way to Use 1 SSD and 1 HDD in a System ?


Guys,
To start with, I've not used any SSD so far but planning to put one into my system soon. So, my curiosity arises such as "what is the best way to use 1 SSD and 1 HDD in a system and is it still a good way to partition the SSD, 1 for the OS + applications and the second partition for installing games etc etc"...
Supposing I intend to use a 2~3 TB HDD and a SSD of the size 120~128 GB and my intention is to partition the SSD into two, keeping 10% of the drive unused. Your valuable inputs are highly solicited.
Regards.
tamocha11

__________________
Keep smiling, it is the elixir of life.

Last edited by tamocha11; 24-05-13 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
tamocha11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-13   #2
teh spamm[E]R!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I havent set my status yet.
 
 
thebanik's Avatar
Rig Gallery
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 8,502
thebanik is extemely Distinguished
thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished
Re: What is the Best Way to Use 1 SSD and 1 HDD in a System ?

No need to partition the SSD. All you need to do is install the OS on SSD, and then any application which is reliant heavily on storage should be on SSD (Google for the application if you are not sure before installing). Rest all in HDD.
tamocha11 likes this.
__________________
Maximus V Gene (MSI Z77-GD65, Gigabyte P67A-UD7, EVGA Classified E760,MSI Eclipse,DFI DK P45 Plus, Foxconn Mars, Asus P5Ne-SLI, Asus P5B Deluxe/Wifi AP), Intel 3770k Benched @ 6.7Ghz, Intel 2600K Benched @ 5.7 Ghz, AMD 8150 Benched @ 7.45 Ghz, Intel 980X Benched @ 6.07Ghz, AMD 970BE Benched @ 6.63Ghz, (Intel i5 680 Benched @ 6.44Ghz, Intel i7 950 Benched @ 5150Mhz, Intel E8600 Benched @ 5.71Ghz, Intel QX9650 Benched @5.41Ghz, Intel Core2 Duo E8400@4.6Ghz, e4300 @ 3.52 Ghz), Thermalright Venomous X, GSkill 6400 2 x 1 GB @ 1260Mhz , HIS 7970 (MSI GTX 580, MSI GTX 480, EVGA GTX295, Asus 4870 x2, EVGA 9800GX2, Visiontek 3870 x2, XFX 8800GT, Nvidia 7900GTX, XFX 8600GT), DELL E248WFP Monitor, CoolerMaster Benchtable, Antec HCP 1200W, Altec Lansing 641 400 RMS Watts with Auzentech X-Plosion

SVGTECH HOC40 and HOC20 Review

Corsair Vengeance K90, M90 and M60 Review

Gigabyte P67 UD7 + Intel i7 2600k Preview

Strontium Ultra Speed 128GB SSD Review

Gigabyte GX-X58A-UD9 Review
thebanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-13   #3
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Need GSkill/nVidia stickers ..
 
 
tamocha11's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Manipur
Posts: 268
tamocha11 is very Honorabletamocha11 is very Honorable
Re: What is the Best Way to Use 1 SSD and 1 HDD in a System ?

thanks for the info @thebanik bro.
( offtopic and to thebanik only :- thanks for the info on LN2, a gynecologist friend of mind is offering me LN2. he was dumb until upon I explained him the story of overclocking, else I was misunderstood heh heh heh !)
tamocha11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-13   #4
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Game On!
 
 
mrnikhilsudo's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: under my skin
Posts: 1,462
mrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputable
Re: What is the Best Way to Use 1 SSD and 1 HDD in a System ?

Originally Posted by tamocha11 View Post
Guys,
To start with, I've not used any SSD so far but planning to put one into my system soon. So, my curiosity arises such as "what is the best way to use 1 SSD and 1 HDD in a system and is it still a good way to partition the SSD, 1 for the OS + applications and the second partition for installing games etc etc"...
Supposing I intend to use a 2~3 TB HDD and a SSD of the size 120~128 GB and my intention is to partition the SSD into two, keeping 10% of the drive unused. Your valuable inputs are highly solicited.
Regards.
tamocha11

Just use SSD for OS. period. HDD for everything
else
Originally Posted by thebanik View Post
No need to partition the SSD. All you need to do is install the OS on SSD, and then any application which is reliant heavily on storage should be on SSD (Google for the application if you are not sure before installing). Rest all in HDD.
I agree...don't partition. I partitioned to install a second OS and my performance on my OCZ has fallen off the cliff.
tamocha11 likes this.
__________________
Sig - nature

iShock and S-plosion

are the two new killer features of the smartphones
mrnikhilsudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-13   #5
teh spamm[E]R!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I havent set my status yet.
 
 
thebanik's Avatar
Rig Gallery
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 8,502
thebanik is extemely Distinguished
thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished
Re: What is the Best Way to Use 1 SSD and 1 HDD in a System ?

Originally Posted by mrnikhilsudo View Post
Just use SSD for OS. period. HDD for everything
else
So you only want fast OS boot times from your SSD and nothing else?
thebanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-13   #6
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Need GSkill/nVidia stickers ..
 
 
tamocha11's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Manipur
Posts: 268
tamocha11 is very Honorabletamocha11 is very Honorable
Re: What is the Best Way to Use 1 SSD and 1 HDD in a System ?

Originally Posted by mrnikhilsudo View Post
I agree...don't partition. I partitioned to install a second OS and my performance on my OCZ has fallen off the cliff.
Are SSDs just meant for fast boot and quick access to the OS and nothing else ? even if I get a 256 Gb SSD, there will be a lotta space left after installing OS. Please throw a clear light on this issue.
tamocha11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-13   #7
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Game On!
 
 
mrnikhilsudo's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: under my skin
Posts: 1,462
mrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputable
Re: What is the Best Way to Use 1 SSD and 1 HDD in a System ?

Originally Posted by tamocha11 View Post
Are SSDs just meant for fast boot and quick access to the OS and nothing else ? even if I get a 256 Gb SSD, there will be a lotta space left after installing OS. Please throw a clear light on this issue.

Not just fast boot ...fast everything. Install all your programs and games on your SSD and store all vids etc on your hdd...

Especially with programs like Photoshop, cubase, and video rendering apps + games ..you will notice a significant difference.
mrnikhilsudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-13   #8
teh spamm[E]R!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I havent set my status yet.
 
 
thebanik's Avatar
Rig Gallery
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 8,502
thebanik is extemely Distinguished
thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished
Re: What is the Best Way to Use 1 SSD and 1 HDD in a System ?

Originally Posted by tamocha11 View Post
Are SSDs just meant for fast boot and quick access to the OS and nothing else ? even if I get a 256 Gb SSD, there will be a lotta space left after installing OS. Please throw a clear light on this issue.
He is simply wrong, or maybe he have had only 32GB SSD, . SSDs are meant for fast access/read/write time to the SSD storage, so anything that can benefit from faster access time should be on SSD. So, if an application/game is on SSD, then its load time would be reduced. Ofcourse because of SSD's limited space we have to balance keeping applications in the SSD with HDD.
tamocha11 likes this.
thebanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-13   #9
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Need GSkill/nVidia stickers ..
 
 
tamocha11's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Manipur
Posts: 268
tamocha11 is very Honorabletamocha11 is very Honorable
Re: What is the Best Way to Use 1 SSD and 1 HDD in a System ?

you seem a little offended ( mebbe due to my improper english) @ mrnikhilsudo . my curiosity was very clear and heh heh heh not putting all my stuffs into a 120~250 Gb storage device. i'm a nubie and am seeking guidance from you people.

bro madhusudan,, logically you are right and i'll try installing OS+apps+games on a 120gb ssd and will check myself practically @thebanik
thanks for you peoples' valuable inputs and guidance.
tamocha11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-13   #10
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Game On!
 
 
mrnikhilsudo's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: under my skin
Posts: 1,462
mrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputable
Re: What is the Best Way to Use 1 SSD and 1 HDD in a System ?

Originally Posted by mrnikhilsudo View Post
Not just fast boot ...fast everything. Install all your programs and games on your SSD and store all vids etc on your hdd...

Especially with programs like Photoshop, cubase, and video rendering apps + games ..you will notice a significant difference.
Originally Posted by thebanik View Post
He is simply wrong, or maybe he have had only 32GB SSD, . SSDs are meant for fast access/read/write time to the SSD storage, so anything that can benefit from faster access time should be on SSD. So, if an application/game is on SSD, then its load time would be reduced. Ofcourse because of SSD's limited space we have to balance keeping applications in the SSD with HDD.
I don't understand what you mean by wrong. I was trying to imply that using an SSD will result in faster read/write times no matter what you are doing. I actually should have just said what you said, but I was watching a movie ...so didn't respond in detail I just used the words "Fast everything"

Btw, I have a 120GB Ocz Agility 3. My first SSD. 2 Partitions. One for Windows 8 and one for OSX.
However, like I mentioned before, my speeds took a dive after partitioning. Now i get only around 198 mbps read and write speed compared to a read speed of about 500mbps before and a write speed I dont remember.
Something wrong with my drive?

I just casually mentioned that everything like vids, music etc should be stored onthe hdd .... as well space limitations on the SSD.

Originally Posted by tamocha11 View Post
you seem a little offended ( mebbe due to my improper english) @ mrnikhilsudo . my curiosity was very clear and heh heh heh not putting all my stuffs into a 120~250 Gb storage device. i'm a nubie and am seeking guidance from you people.

bro madhusudan,, logically you are right and i'll try installing OS+apps+games on a 120gb ssd and will check myself practically @thebanik
thanks for you peoples' valuable inputs and guidance.
Not at all offended .... I Should have been more specific.

Like @thebanik said, anything that resides on the SSD will benefit from a performance gain due to better read/write speeds. One of the reasons why Apple came up with the Fusion drive system is to take advantage of the SSD's inherit speed benefits.
tamocha11 likes this.
mrnikhilsudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-13   #11
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Need GSkill/nVidia stickers ..
 
 
tamocha11's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Manipur
Posts: 268
tamocha11 is very Honorabletamocha11 is very Honorable
Re: What is the Best Way to Use 1 SSD and 1 HDD in a System ?

Originally Posted by mrnikhilsudo View Post
I don't understand what you mean by wrong. I was trying to imply that using an SSD will result in faster read/write times no matter what you are doing. I actually should have just said what you said, but I was watching a movie ...so didn't respond in detail I just used the words "Fast everything"

Btw, I have a 120GB Ocz Agility 3. My first SSD. 2 Partitions. One for Windows 8 and one for OSX.
However, like I mentioned before, my speeds took a dive after partitioning. Now i get only around 198 mbps read and write speed compared to a read speed of about 500mbps before and a write speed I dont remember.
Something wrong with my drive?

I just casually mentioned that everything like vids, music etc should be stored onthe hdd .... as well space limitations on the SSD.



Not at all offended .... I Should have been more specific.

Like @thebanik said, anything that resides on the SSD will benefit from a performance gain due to better read/write speeds. One of the reasons why Apple came up with the Fusion drive system is to take advantage of the SSD's inherit speed benefits.
Thanks dude.
How about enabling AHCI mode both for SSD and spinner HDD ? I have had bad experience with AHCI mode on spinner HDDs. AHCI killed one of my 2.5" 320 Gb HDD last year. Actually the BIOS on my Dell notebook set AHCI as default and without checking I tried installing Win7 on that 2.5" HDD and the HDD went kaput ! Still the drive is detected by BIOS but physically not accessible. Looking forward to you peoples' valuable advice.
tamocha11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-13   #12
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Build Complete!
 
 
The Pain's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 155
The Pain is Mysterious
Re: What is the Best Way to Use 1 SSD and 1 HDD in a System ?

Theres a nice guide at the link below to optimize your ssd.

The SSD Optimization Guide Redesigned | The SSD Review
mrnikhilsudo and tamocha11 like this.
__________________
Intel Core i7-3770k, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus STRIX GTX 970, Dell S2316H, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Corsair SP2500, Corsair H100i, RipJawX 16GB, Samsung 830 64gb, APC - BR1000, Asus RT-n14u, NZXT Phantom 410, SeaSonic M12II 850 Evo, Asus ROG Orion, Logitech G510s, Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury, Razer Nostromo, Razer Onza TE.
The Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-13   #13
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Need GSkill/nVidia stickers ..
 
 
tamocha11's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Manipur
Posts: 268
tamocha11 is very Honorabletamocha11 is very Honorable
Re: What is the Best Way to Use 1 SSD and 1 HDD in a System ?

Originally Posted by The Pain View Post
Theres a nice guide at the link below to optimize your ssd.

The SSD Optimization Guide Redesigned | The SSD Review
Thanks for the link dude.
< nice rig haa />
The Pain likes this.
tamocha11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-13   #14
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Build Complete!
 
 
The Pain's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 155
The Pain is Mysterious
Re: What is the Best Way to Use 1 SSD and 1 HDD in a System ?

Originally Posted by tamocha11 View Post
< nice rig haa />
Thanks :-)
The Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-13   #15
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Game On!
 
 
mrnikhilsudo's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: under my skin
Posts: 1,462
mrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputable
Re: What is the Best Way to Use 1 SSD and 1 HDD in a System ?

Doubt it will help...but imma try it...my SSD is only 5 months old.
mrnikhilsudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
System Under 13 - 15k Maddy123 PC Buying Help 4 04-11-12 03:19 PM
Psu for My System neojjjk PC Buying Help 5 21-01-11 11:54 PM
HT System Xeo Gadgets & Consumer Electronics Buying Advice 1 14-12-10 11:11 AM
How to get my system from A to B kris Everything Under the Sun 17 13-04-09 05:43 PM
Rep System Aragorn Everything Under the Sun 5 11-11-07 12:01 AM


Tags
hdd, ssd
All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:06 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.