Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Storage Solutions
Register Forgot Password?

Old 19-09-12   #1
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

WD Caviar Green 2 TB HDD (WD20EARX) As Boot Drive?

I have a plan to use WD Caviar Green 2 TB HDD (WD20EARX) as boot drive...
Are they reliable?

At present i am using 500gb Seagate as boot drive

What are your thoughts on this?
bcdxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-12   #2
teh spamm[E]R!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished
Re: WD Caviar Green 2 TB HDD (WD20EARX) As Boot Drive?

All these "green" hard disks are prone to develop head parking issues if used intensively, especially as an os drive. If you merely intend to install a bootsector, like grub, then you'll have no issues.
However, it is not recommended to use a lower rpm drive as an os drive for both reliability and performance reasons.
If possible, buy a "cheap" 64 gb ssd (128 gb is recommended)

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear x-rays, and I wanna, I wanna smell dark matter!
Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly, because I have to, I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting, spoken language. But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me!
I'm a machine, and I could know much more, I could experience so much more, but I'm trapped in this absurd body!
And why?! Because my...creators thought that "God" wanted it that way.
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-12   #3
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

Sdhr Bhati is Notable

Originally Posted by bcdxer View Post
I have a plan to use WD Caviar Green 2 TB HDD (WD20EARX) as boot drive... Are they reliable? At present i am using 500gb Seagate as boot drive
seagate 500gb is of 7200rpm and wd green is 5400rpm if u use wd green as boot drive then u were going to decrease performance slightly as compared to your current drive...

go for 64gb ssd it is cheap and best for boot drive...

Sdhr Bhati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-12   #4
teh priesT!
[E]onian

Techie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly Admirable

I brought the same 2tb drive (WD20ERX) just a week ago & using it as a boot drive as well as my current storage drive,...& i have used similar 1tb WD drives(WD10EADS) &(WD10EARS) as my primary boot as well as storage drive for the last 3-4 years! I only find shift in the load/unload cycle count & the Power on Time count in the SMART values of the HDD. I practically don't know how reliable they are & how long they would last (got 4 WD green drives 1TB EADS+1TB EARS+1.5TB EADS+2TBEARX) but for sure they run real cool & with least noise & i like that! (main reason for shifting to WD Greens)
*my rig is mainly a download machine ,continuously on 24x7x365,without break or Boot except for update breaks or on occasion of long extended power outage period.I hardly game on it or use it for any major task...so i dont know how "intensively"use my system,particular to stress my HDD !

I also hope to soon catch up in the SSD route too !
Techie#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply