Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Storage Solutions
Register Forgot Password?

Old 10-11-13   #1
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Salesman, see sig ;-)

WD Blue *2TB* Availability ?

Has WD the 2TB Blue ever been available here (Mumbai) ? When I enquired at Prime they said "no".
Old 10-11-13   #2
Patient_Zero
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Zombie Enthusiast

realandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly Admirable
Re: WD Blue *2TB* Availability ?

There's no 2TB variant of the WD Blue mate.
Either you get 500gigs or 1TB.

For 2TB, there's WD Green & there's Seagate Barracuda.
Green has the highest failure rates. Personal advice, don't take it. One of my friend lost his data twice.

Go for the Seagate. Look for model no. It should have 7200.14 - the .14 says that it's the newest model.

And obviously if you can spend more, there's WD Black 2TB. One of the most reliable and fastest drives. Would cost around 10k
ManISinJpr likes this.
realandR3cys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-13   #3
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Salesman, see sig ;-)

PoBoy is highly AdmirablePoBoy is highly AdmirablePoBoy is highly AdmirablePoBoy is highly AdmirablePoBoy is highly AdmirablePoBoy is highly Admirable

What's the reliability for Seagate like these days ? I've always used WD.
PoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-13   #4
teh zeuS!
Common Sense - A Superpower

Fenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly Admirable

Yeah WD Black is nice but heats up more and makes more noise.
Old 10-11-13   #5
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Salesman, see sig ;-)

PoBoy is highly AdmirablePoBoy is highly AdmirablePoBoy is highly AdmirablePoBoy is highly AdmirablePoBoy is highly AdmirablePoBoy is highly Admirable

Black is beyond my budget. Anyway what's the warranty on Black ? 5 years ? I might consider it.

EDIT : Actually for 10 K I can get 1 Blue 1TB + 1 green 2TB !
Old 10-11-13   #6
Patient_Zero
Zombie Enthusiast

realandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly Admirable
Originally Posted by PoBoy View Post
I can understand.
Actually, the new drives that Seagate is churning out has great speeds with better stability now.
The failure rate is much low, to say it's counterpart Green.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Black is beyond my budget. Anyway what's the warranty on Black ? 5 years ? I might consider it.
EDIT : Actually for 10 K I can get 1 Blue 1TB + 1 green 2TB !
Yes, 5 years.
Like Fenix said, Black makes more noise and heats up, as it is not a power saver like Green.
But in return of that, you get a rock solid drive.

And i repeat, DO NOT get Green. You'll regret it later when you'll lose your precious data
Old 10-11-13   #7
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Salesman, see sig ;-)

When I RMAed a 660GB AAKS Blue, WD sent me a new green 1TB EARX in exchange. That was 18 months back, no probs so far. Upgrading soon that's why I was looking for a Blue. Intend to use the green as backup. Anyway, looks like I will have to settle for 1TB Blue as the boot drive.
Old 11-11-13   #8
Patient_Zero
Zombie Enthusiast

When I RMAed a 660GB AAKS Blue, WD sent me a new green 1TB EARX in exchange. That was 18 months back, no probs so far. Upgrading soon that's why I was looking for a Blue. Intend to use the green as backup. Anyway, looks like I will have to settle for 1TB Blue as the boot drive.
Well, you're lucky indeed.
I have 6 cases (excluding mine which lasted for a year) of Green 2TBs going kaput within 6 months.
Plus the awesomely slow performance even for a storage drive.

Anyways, get the Blue 1TB then. Or better get the Black 1TB. Boot drives always need the best
Old 12-11-13   #9
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Steamroller?

uniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirable

Wd greens are only meant for large storage at cheap price.
I have one green 1tb and a 2tb both are working since last 1 year. But they are not reliable as blue or black.
2tb is only available in either black or green in india.
You can get a blue 1tb for your requirement it is little pricy than green but its better and reliable than green.
So get 1tb blue.
uniquegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13   #10
teh nuB!
Person of Interest

tubelight is Mysterious

From what I have been reading elsewhere, Seagate has horrible after sales service.
tubelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13   #11
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

You are sharing good info around
So also share links for the mates here to gather buying info..
Lie a link for a 7200.14 series drive from Seagate on flipkart etc..

Originally Posted by realandR3cys View Post
And i repeat, DO NOT get Green. You'll regret it later when you'll lose your precious data

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13   #12
Patient_Zero
Zombie Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr View Post
You are sharing good info around
So also share links for the mates here to gather buying info..
Lie a link for a 7200.14 series drive from Seagate on flipkart etc..
Sure Manish da
Here you go
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (ST2000DM001) - Seagate: Flipkart.com

The new model no. ST2000DM001 state it's the 7200.14 : ]
ManISinJpr likes this.
Old 12-11-13   #13
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

Way to go Dude !!!

Now go and see a PM I sent you !
Originally Posted by realandR3cys View Post
Sure Manish da
Here you go
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (ST2000DM001) - Seagate: Flipkart.com

The new model no. ST2000DM001 state it's the 7200.14 : ]
ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-13   #14
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Salesman, see sig ;-)

Slightly OT ... or not.
Reliability study tracks 25,000 hard drives - The Tech Report
According to this data, infant mortality is still a problem. The failure rate for the first three months of operation is higher than for any other quarter until after the three-year mark. Backblaze reports that 5.1% of its drives failed within the first 18 months, followed by only 1.4% for the following 18 months. After three years of use, the failure rate jumps to 11.8%.
Nearly 80% of the drives are still operational after four years. Backblaze doesn't have data points beyond that, but the current trend suggests a median drive life of six years.
Old 02-12-13   #15
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Salesman, see sig ;-)

How long do hard drives actually live for? | ExtremeTech
There are three distinct failure phases — and, correspondingly, three distinct ways in which hard drives die. Failures in the first year are primarily caused by manufacturing defects. This describes the lemon effect — where, despite most of your drive live for years, some just die after a few months. Between 18 and 36 months, drive deaths are caused by random failures — small, random issues that only occur if you’re unlucky. Then, as the drive moves into its fourth year, failure rates skyrocket as drives start to wear out — the various components can only rotate, gyrate, and actuate so many times before something goes sprronngggg.

It’s worth noting that Backblaze uses normal, consumer-level drives — the kind of drives with 12- or 36-month warranties. Considering around 97.5% of these drives are still alive after one year, and about 90% are alive after three years, these warranties are probably spot-on.
Post New Thread  Reply