Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Software Zone > Programming
Register Forgot Password?

Old 07-11-11   #1
avi
teh priesT!
[E]onian
The [E] Boy :P

Upgrade to Xenforo, is It Worth It ?

I am thinking to upgrade my forum to xenforo. Currently I have running myBB. What are the advantages of it over mybb ? Apart from eye candy..

and I also believe it will make people to reply more... [or am I wrong ]

-SEO will be improved ? Like vBSEO which I heard makes wonderful SEO job for vB.

-Secondly, can it be highly customizable as myBB ?

-can it in anyway help bringing more traffic ? [n00b here, not sure whether forum software plays any role in traffic]

TIA
Old 07-11-11   #2
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent
Re: Upgrade to Xenforo, is It Worth It ?

Originally Posted by avi View Post
I am thinking to upgrade my forum to xenforo. Currently I have running myBB. What are the advantages of it over mybb ? Apart from eye candy..

and I also believe it will make people to reply more... [or am I wrong ]
Well, Eye candy is a very major thing and not to be underestimated. It helps draw in people initially and get them started, so Xenforo definitely has a edge over other forum softwares there. However the problem is that the eye candy and novelty effect wont last forever so after the first few weeks of membership only quality content and presence of other interesting members to talk to will help.

-SEO will be improved ? Like vBSEO which I heard makes wonderful SEO job for vB.

-Secondly, can it be highly customizable as myBB ?
I am really not sure that vBSEO or url rewrite/canonical url's helps. Google says it doesnt help. Some webmasters say it does but have no confirmed evidence. I am myself not sure about this. Xenforo does have url rewriting built in.

I would suggest that you try out a test installation of Xenforo and see if you like it. Its not everyones cup of tea.
ManISinJpr and syedthedevil like this.
Old 07-11-11   #3
avi
teh priesT!
[E]onian

avi is highly Admirableavi is highly Admirableavi is highly Admirableavi is highly Admirableavi is highly Admirable

No no, I wasn't underestimating it, it is of one of main thingy of Xenforo about which I was sure

Even myBB has SEO Friendly URLs. So only renaming URLs to forum.com/section/thread_name is work of SEO ? Thats all ? I thought vBSEO does much more than that..

Have tried xen & actually liked it
avi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11   #4
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

No no, I wasn't underestimating it, it is of one of main thingy of Xenforo about which I was sure

Even myBB has SEO Friendly URLs. So only renaming URLs to forum.com/section/thread_name is work of SEO ? Thats all ? I thought vBSEO does much more than that..

Have tried xen & actually liked it

vBSEO is a little more sophisticated but basically it is just rewriting URL's. As I said its of questionable value for SEO.

I would also recommend that you try out Xenforo as a admin and moderator and see if you are fine with it.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11   #5
avi
teh priesT!
[E]onian

avi is highly Admirableavi is highly Admirableavi is highly Admirableavi is highly Admirableavi is highly Admirable

Yup, have tested as admin & mod also..

Thanks for replying

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

ahhh :@ can't rep you
avi is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply