Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Software Zone > Open Source
Register Forgot Password?

Old 28-11-07   #16
teh priesT!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Captain Obvious!

Re: Ubuntu 7.10 'Gutsy Gibbon' final Released!!

Originally Posted by trans View Post
Its cable Internet and I have to specify my ip , dns , gateway etc. I dont know how to do that in Ubuntu anyone care to explain ?
You have to but these settings in router or in your operating system?

Anyways just try out the gutsy gibbon livecd yaar it won't touch your hard disk until you hit the install icon.

And yes you can configure the settings very easily in it(easier than xp/vista).Just click system-->network/network settings and fill in your settings its as easy as that.just try it out and if any problem surfaces then you'll be helped accordingly.
The_Devil_Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-07   #17
teh priesT!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

trans is highly Admirabletrans is highly Admirabletrans is highly Admirabletrans is highly Admirabletrans is highly Admirabletrans is highly Admirable

I have to configur these settings on my computer. I will download gusty gibbon 7.10 today I have 7.04 better try out the latest releases.
trans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-07   #18
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

fractal is very Notable

If you have this working in windows open your network connections -> TCP/IP properties and copy them down

Both KDE and Gnome have a network configuration tool - use them. Actually I believe you can configure your network during installtion itself.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by trans View Post
Its cable Internet and I have to specify my ip , dns , gateway etc. I dont know how to do that in Ubuntu anyone care to explain ?
fractal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-07   #19
teh priesT!
[E]onian

trans is highly Admirabletrans is highly Admirabletrans is highly Admirabletrans is highly Admirabletrans is highly Admirabletrans is highly Admirable

Ohk I downloaded ubuntu but the live CD version only works in safe graphics mode why so ?? I have an AGP Nvidia 6200
trans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-07   #20
Let me be honest !
Banned

MaxAxe is sickeningly DreadfulMaxAxe is sickeningly DreadfulMaxAxe is sickeningly DreadfulMaxAxe is sickeningly Dreadful

Darky ... for now I'm on Linux Mint .. based on the 7.04 Feisty. What would you recommend ... ?? Mint or vanilla Ubuntu ?

"Genius is one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration. Accordingly, a 'genius' is often merely a talented person who has done all of his or her homework." - Thomas A Edison
MaxAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-07   #21
teh zeuS!
..I..

Rig Gallery

Dark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly Famed

^^ 7.04 is not recommended now.. Get Daryna or Gusty .. check Linux Mint here

@ trans .. It force system graphics on VGA for optimum stability cause all GPU drivers are not pre-installed i.e why .. Only few are installed to detect the GPU and to recommend higher latest ups..

Dark Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-07   #22
teh priesT!
Captain Obvious!

The_Devil_Himself is highly AdmirableThe_Devil_Himself is highly AdmirableThe_Devil_Himself is highly AdmirableThe_Devil_Himself is highly AdmirableThe_Devil_Himself is highly AdmirableThe_Devil_Himself is highly Admirable

@MaxAxe:try out the latest mint edition 'daryna' based on gutsy gibbon.It is as beautiful as any operating system can get with all the eye candy.But it has some serious drawbacks like their own update manager(and not using the default gutsy update manager which rocks due to large community support).I would still recommend ubuntu if you have a good broadband connection and use darky's customization guides.
Old 29-11-07   #23
Let me be honest !
Banned

MaxAxe is sickeningly DreadfulMaxAxe is sickeningly DreadfulMaxAxe is sickeningly DreadfulMaxAxe is sickeningly Dreadful

Okay .. ubuntu it is then ... Though I really liked the way they had made the start menu in mint ... and the fact that you can have the computer icon on the desktop .. this is what ive been missing from Ubuntu since ages.

Any pointers on how do I go about removing one distro .. and installing another one ? specially when the system is a dual boot. ?

Last edited by MaxAxe; 29-11-07 at 12:54 PM.
Old 29-11-07   #24
teh priesT!
Captain Obvious!

The_Devil_Himself is highly AdmirableThe_Devil_Himself is highly AdmirableThe_Devil_Himself is highly AdmirableThe_Devil_Himself is highly AdmirableThe_Devil_Himself is highly AdmirableThe_Devil_Himself is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by MaxAxe View Post
Any pointers on how do I go about removing one distro .. and installing another one ? specially when the system is a dual boot. ?
its pretty easy maxy just install ubuntu over your current mint installation.Here is the step by step guide:
1.Boot up using ubuntu livecd/dvd

2.double click install icon

3.answer some basic questions like keyboard layout,time zone,etc.

4.Gutsy can import your wallpaper and documents from windows installation that you have(i found this pretty cool) though firefox doesn't import settings and bookmarks iirc.

5.Partitioning:read it carefully.I hope you will be able to recognize your mint partition(the ext3 filesystem one).Ok,ubuntu needs two partitions for a normal install one home(/) partition and one swap partition.delete your mint partition and make a new partition out of it by formatting it with 'ext3' filesystem and specifying mount point as '/'.If you have a swap partition already then you can use it without changing anything,otherwise just make another partition and select 'swap' from filesystem dropdown menu.no mounting point needed for it.

6.Thats it just hold back and enjoy while ubuntu installs and reboot onto your harddisk when told to reboot.

7.grub will recognize all your current installations and make your system dual boot accordingly(windows+ubuntu).

if you face some problems then feel free to ask.But if you can install mint(based on fiesty) successfully then gutsy installation should be pretty easy.

NOTE:
Swap partition:it is necessary to specify a separate swap partition while installing ubuntu gutsy gibbon.It is just like pagefile in windows,i.e. it is used to store data temporarily from memory.It should be twice the size of your RAM for lesser than 512MB system RAM,and equal to your system RAM after that.
Old 29-11-07   #25
Let me be honest !
Banned

^^
I've always kept my swap partitions regardless of the distro... nice to know that Grub will understand the ubuntu takeover ..
Post New Thread  Reply