Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Tutorials and Guides
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article
Tutorial : Create Glassy Button/Box with Gimp.
Date: 16-04-08
Topic: Tutorials and Guides
Author: Dark Star

Index
Home 

Tutorial : Create Glassy Buttons with Gimp

After seeing few glassy logo box and buttons. I thought of making the same using Gimp.. I searched for Tutorials for Gimp ,but all in vain.. while users from PS can find a bunch of 'em. Actually it was PS tutorial from where I got the idea of creating Glassy Logo Box..

In this Tutorial we will learn to create glassy logo box.. These looks like a professional creation but the method used is very simple

In this tutorial we will focus to create output like this...:-

Step 1 : - Download this background or search for a darker shade ....

Step 2 : Open the background using Gimp and click on Rectangle Selection Tool .. Set these settings for Rectangle Selection Tool..

Step 3 : Create a medium rectangle by dragging the mouse in the background...

Step 4 : Create a new layer and name it “Original Rectangle”. Considering that rectangle is still in selection .Fill it with White colour..

Step 5 : Set the opacity of the New Layer to 8..It will look diminished..Thats it , you can now see the glassy look..

Step 6 :
Now duplicate Using the Eraser tool erase the white colour of Duplicate layer and set the Opacity of Duplicate layer to 100.

Step 7 : Select the Eraser Tool and set the settings to the following..

Step 8 : Using the Eraser tool erase the white colour of Duplicate layer as shown : --

Step 9 : Do not erase all the white colour of the duplicate layer.. The output should look like this : -

Step 10 : Now duplicate the layer and select the Flip Tool from the Gimp Menu or press SHIFT + F.. Flip the 2'nd duplicated layer by holding CTRL button .. This will flip the 2'nd duplicated layer upside down...

Step 11 : Now move the flipped layer to the upper part using the Move Tool or Press 'M' . The output should look like this : - -

Step 12 : - Now we should add a white border to the bottom.. Create a new layer, select the Rectangle Selection Tool , create a small rectangle at the bottom and fill it with white colour.

Step 13 : Select the Eraser tool and set the radius to 3.. Erase the Border at the bottom as shown : -

Step 14: Duplicate the layer and move it to the Upper Part.. The output should be like this : -

Step 15 : Add the Text or Logo with your favorite font, size and colour..

Step 16 : Again duplicate the “Original Rectangle” layer and change the text colour to black for better visibility ...

Step 17 : Select the Ellipse Selection Tool and draw an ellipse as shown : -

Step 18 : Press Delete and deselect all the by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+A ..

Now set the opacity of this layer to 10.

We are done .. Just change the Font colour if you want .. That's it we have created a cool looking glassy box with GIMP..

Hope this tutorial helps you ..

Download the .xcf file for reference : Glassy Button.zip

Keep the comments and suggestions coming

Regards Ds

Index
Home 

Tools
Add to Dark Star's Karma
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
By Aragorn 16-04-08
Re: Tutorial : Create Glassy Button/Box with Gimp.

Awesome ... BTW you really know a lot in GIMP. I cant even dream of this in GIMP. But in photoshop this is much easier. Its good to have someone who knows GIMP also ..

Tell me something darky, do you know photoshop also ????

Also I would recommend this tutorial to be in the Artwork section. Unless you want it to show up on homepage.
By Dark Star 17-04-08

^^ No I don't know PS but can use it.. Since Gimp and PS have similar kind of tools it would be easy to make the transitions As far as Section I would say let it be here only.I mean in Tutorials section . Few Artwork Tuts should also gets feature in Home Page
By Aragorn 17-04-08

He He ... dude i have used both Photoshop and GIMP .. tools Might be same to some extent but usage of both tools is totally different. Like i know photoshop quite a lot but i have tried GIMP several times in office (due to license issues in photoshop) ... and i find GIMP so hard i cant do anything.
By Dark Star 17-04-08

Gimp is not that hard.. Though using gradient ,,glow and other effects are easy to use in PS but if you get used to gimp you will love it
By Aragorn 17-04-08

But you must be knowing by know ... I am a Windows and MS fanboy ... I prefer to stay away from Linux and GIMP as much as possible ....
By Dark Star 17-04-08

^^Where Linux comes in b/w Gimp and PS.. you can use Gimp in Windows
By Aragorn 18-04-08

^ I used GIMP for windows in office buddy .. i know about it ... its just that i lvoe photoshop .. have been using it for 7-8 yrs now ... am comfortable ..
By Fenix 18-04-08

FACK MAAAAN.....Thats SUPER COOOOOL .
By Jacks 18-04-08

Man I love this ... repped ya !! Really love artworks a lot !!
By Ad1tya 18-04-08

It looks like its so much easier to do in Photoshop man.

The steps are quite similar, but still, seems much easier in PS.
By montylee 18-04-08

The biggest problem with Gimp is the interface, it's too hard for everyone.
By fireboy01 07-03-19

Your guide is very detailed, clicker heroes
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search