Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Reviews & Previews
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article
TrueCrypt:encrypt(password) your data on any device.
TrueCrypt:encrypt(password) your data on any device.
even wondered how to really password protect your files , make it really secured againt hackers ? or even withing the family members? drop in.
Date: 27-05-07
Topic: Reviews & Previews
Author: bean_laden

Index
Truecrypt for the win! 
Index

Lets face it , although everyone of us have our own PC's , it's really a headache to encrypt it & get the feeling of "yes, now i've secured it!!"..

it(data) could be anything , from confidential data to a documentation of a small exploit tat u just discovered .. or some videos or songs for that matter.

Most of us (incl me ) run windows OS most of the time..
Well...after spending loads of money on GPU's ... its no wonder why people prefer windows OS over others... , & just for the record . I use win XP.

Anyway getting back to the subject. the basic encryption provided by OS is good enough.right?

nopes...since the encryption is ' AIMED ' at a large no of people , it really makes no sense encrypting it . & since it's aimed at large people..there are already lot of hacks to break the basic encryption provided by the OS.

Encrypting(or securing ) in my dictionary would be making it unreadable without entering the password .

Originally Posted by wiki
Encryption, by itself, can protect the confidentially of messages, but other techniques are still needed to verify the integrity and authenticity of a message; for example, a message authentication code (MAC) or digital signatures. Standards and computer programs to perform encryption are widely available, but successfully using encryption to ensure security is a challenging problem. A single slip-up in system design or execution can allow successful attacks. And sometimes an adversary can obtain valuable information without directly undoing the encryption.
This password protection is a headache to implement ,,, for example lets take the example of a software called "folder lock"....LOL..this software is a joke. my 8yr old sister can crack the code of that junk software//& that is supposed to be a paid software.

although , I understand why the software was designed like that . It is aimed at those people who use the software only on a single machine...lets take this example . . . suppose u want to secure your external device .. say for example a 80gb portable HDD..

what would you do?..rar it? .. which means u have to decrypt the whole volume before u use it
If u want a solution to all these problems , then u are reading the right thread.

Download Truecrypt from here : link.

Index
Truecrypt for the win! 

Tools
Add to bean_laden's Karma
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
<< <    Next Page: Truecrypt for the win! (Page 1 of 8)    >  >>
By Ad1tya 27-05-07
Re: TrueCrypt:encrypt(password) your data on any device.

Great guide!

Props!

People with sensitive data (read. pr0n) will love this .

I guess Karan still has to approve of it though.
By KiD0M4N 27-05-07

Bravo.... a awesome awesome guide/review/tutorial. And what perfect timing to release this.... I was researching a good open security app for my dad and tata, beany to the rescue.

*Approved*
By bean_laden 27-05-07

there are even small small noob hacks to help fool others in thinking that this app is designed to run only on a particular device....i have not posted it all...will post if a need comes for it..lol.
By KiD0M4N 29-05-07

Originally Posted by bean_laden View Post
there are even small small noob hacks to help fool others in thinking that this app is designed to run only on a particular device....i have not posted it all...will post if a need comes for it..lol.
Hahah... but those solutions are not very effective are they?
By bean_laden 29-05-07

not effective..but . . .still ..i'll show what i mean next time when i visit you.

& post the benchies of encrypted volumes on your raptors..:@
By KiD0M4N 30-05-07

Originally Posted by bean_laden View Post
not effective..but . . .still ..i'll show what i mean next time when i visit you.

& post the benchies of encrypted volumes on your raptors..:@
Did we copy HD Speed today???? I will post it soon.
By pixel 02-01-08

awesome program!! thanks ..
By vajm1234 02-01-08

grt guide! much better explantion than 2005 DIGIt lol
By fractal 02-01-08

Good find and tutorial!

The performance study is also very nicely done.

@bean_laden - One bit that would be useful to add is the HD speed numbers without encryption to get a feel of the performance penalty.

Or if someone is trying this out - please run HD speed both before and after you install encryption.
By sydras 02-01-08

I've read a lot of reviews and I really liked the coverage of this review. It was to the point and neatly gave a complete sense of what the application involves with a> images of installation and mounting b> performance coverage with benchmarks.

Excellent review I must say. However, w.r.t program usuability, I'm not sure if one would want to keep their "ahem" data in such a container. Accessing the information would involve a processor overhead and memory utilization. And encrypting and decrypting large video files(esp H.264 with the existing overhead of decoding these kind of files) would take a lot some time I guess even on high end quad core systems.

Right now, hiding a folder full of sensitive data is the best option for a guy like me. I used to employ My Lockbox but I now use the ahem version of Hide Folders XP 2(in conjunction with My Lockbox I must add) and it works like a charm for me .
By sohail99 29-01-09

Awesome review man!!

I wanted to encrypt my external Seagate 500GB hdd with TrueCrypt!

I guess i can do that now! but speed drops are like too much!!!

like straight drop from 107mb/s to 30mb/s!!!

This would surely affect the read and write speeds i guess! + more resource usage regarding the same as windows will have to encrypt and decrypt data on the fly using ram and processor + decreased speeds! =

but wth! i'll go ahead and try it anyway!

Thanks again man for this awesome review! Rep+
By MrinaL 29-01-09

Nice Review !!

Repped !!
By Free Radical 04-02-09

@bean

know some exploits?
By bean_laden 04-02-09

^exploits in TC ?
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search