Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Everything Under the Sun
Register Forgot Password?

Old 16-01-12   #16
Xeo
Th[E] Troll
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Papa Donger

Re: Totally Drug-resistant Tuberculosis - Uncureable and 100% Fatal

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr ♦ View Post
but it is till now contained in maharashtra.
But I iz in Maharashtra.
I iz scared.
GTX580 Twin Frozr II
Silent Pro M700
Tempest 410 Elite
Xeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-12   #17
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Apparently some new drugs could be in the pipeline. Totally drug-resistant TB emerges in India : Nature News & Comment
ManISinJpr likes this.
Old 16-01-12   #18
teh priesT!
[E]onian
Where is AMD?

mrcool63 is highly Admirablemrcool63 is highly Admirablemrcool63 is highly Admirablemrcool63 is highly Admirablemrcool63 is highly Admirable

@Xeo stop getting all paranoid.. i have worked around 100's of TB cases... i am still here aint i unless your immunity is crap and you are directly exposed to a drug resistant TB case there is no worry.. it spreads via respiratory droplets not via thin air man!!! chill and dont worry... it was bound to happen and we will find a way to cure it.. so relax
ManISinJpr likes this.
mrcool63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-12   #19
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
trolling around

baba doga is Notable

try to avoid door handles. and people sneezing/coughing right next to you.

tdr-tb can be treated by chemo therapy. and indian government has never had focus on healthcare. If at all, it is motivated by big pharmas. learn to live with that.

I would say that half the efforts that US government makes might also be motivated by these corps.

indians aren't all that worse subset of human species. they're just a little more honest about their flaws.
baba doga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-12   #20
teh priesT!
[E]onian
Where is AMD?

mrcool63 is highly Admirablemrcool63 is highly Admirablemrcool63 is highly Admirablemrcool63 is highly Admirablemrcool63 is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by baba doga View Post
indian government has never had focus on healthcare. If at all, it is motivated by big pharmas. learn to live with that.
I would say that half the efforts that US government makes might also be motivated by these corps.
Dude thats wrong... Do you know how many TB cases the indian government treats in government hospitals every month... Do you know the TB caseload in india?? if the government did not take it seriously dont you think drug resistant TB would have surfaced way before this.. this treatment has been going on since 1962... we have the second highest TB load in the world... the main reason for this is defaulting patients.. the government is trying to control that also by having them visit the hospital every month.. what else can you do if patients are not willing???
Old 16-01-12   #21
teh Paint Whisperer!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Whispering to my i20

sohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Great
Originally Posted by mrcool63 View Post
@Xeo stop getting all paranoid.. i have worked around 100's of TB cases... i am still here aint i unless your immunity is crap and you are directly exposed to a drug resistant TB case there is no worry.. it spreads via respiratory droplets not via thin air man!!! chill and dont worry... it was bound to happen and we will find a way to cure it.. so relax
M. tuberculosis spreads through air (droplet infection)after being expelled in large numbers through the sneeze or cough of the acute pul. TB cases!

only a lil amount of bacteria are needed to infect the individual but not to produce symptoms!

They wait for immunity to go down due to some other cause and then the latent tb becomes full blown and produces symptoms!

Posted from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Originally Posted by Chief-Techie View Post
Karan was in his Fantasy World Dreaming Adi Wearing a Red Dress & then Sending a Red Hot Msg

Last edited by sohail99; 16-01-12 at 10:00 PM.
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-12   #22
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

sstiwari is Mysterious

I think We should not get paranoid about it. The best bet against TB has been and will always remain is our own immunity. It invariably afflicts those who are malnourished, physically/mentally broken down, those under total consumption of tobacco, alcohol and drugs. Eat Healthy Diet, Remain Positive, Avoid Stress, Chill Out once in a while and have faith in the almighty to keep the immunity optimum.

Out of 10 persons having good immunity exposed to direct TB spores, 7 will have have a quick and effective immune response and kill the bacterium, 2 will have a bit delayed immune response and may have latent TB infection, which may or may not surface in 2-20 years that too in case your immunity is weakened at that stage of life

And

1 who has really sudden dip in immune response due to a variety of factors ranging from stress, other diseases, consumption, malnutrition, and of course Almighty's wish will develop an Active TB infection, which can be usually be treated in more than 90-95% of the cases.

So keep your cool and live as usual.
ManISinJpr likes this.
sstiwari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-12   #23
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

desitechi is very Honorabledesitechi is very Honorable
You guys are totally wrong, TB is not like a disease that cant be cured, and if you are thinking that from someone else it will be transferred to you. that chances are dam low coz once a patient is suffering from TB and the bacteria grows inside his body he is not at all well to go out as a normal guy in public, he will be hospitalized asa the bacteria grows.

plus TB depends on multiple factors not like if some TB patient cough near you, u will get infected. It depends on factors like immunity, smoking, intake of alcohol, less sleep, not taking proper diet nutrition etc. Even if the bacteria of TB is transfered to you, and your immunity is good, tht bacteria will stay inside u as latent TB which will not cause any harm to your body.

All depends on things like how you manage yourself, take proper diet, atleast try to sleep for 7-8 hours, less smoke and alcohol, live a better life, u wont be infected by active TB ever.

When a person is infected with active TB, he needs to take a combination of multi drugs medicines like akurit 4 which itself consist of a combination of 4drugs. After 3-4 weeks of the prescribed medicine, the patient can do his normal work as he/she will not be a danger to the society.

The cure of TB depends on a treatment of combination of 4drugs for 6-8months or more, the initial first month is dangerous, and if u take the medicines on time till your reports are normal, you will be fit and fine.

Multidrug TB is caused when a patient doesnt take the proper medicine on time, thn the bacteria gets resisitance towards the combination of any of the drug and thn the doctors will keep a watch on you, as which drug will help to control the bacteria. The course time for multi TB can go as long as 2-3years but yes it can also be cured.

The latter part of TB when u again stop taking the medicines on time, and that is fatal and dangerous.

Govt offers free medicines to TB patients, the only problem in our country is TB patients stop taking medicines once they start feeling better which is wrong, u should continue using the medicine till the course last or as recommend by the doctor.

Bottom line: stay healthy, take proper diet &nutritions, proper sleepin hours, live a better life and forget u will ever be infected by TB. :-)

ps: sorry for typos, coz using phone.

Sent from my GT-I9100
ManISinJpr likes this.
desitechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-12   #24
teh priesT!
[E]onian
Where is AMD?

Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
M. tuberculosis spreads through air (droplet infection)after being expelled in large numbers through the sneeze or cough of the acute pul. TB cases!only a lil amount of bacteria are needed to infect the individual but not to produce symptoms!
They wait for immunity to go down due to some other cause and then the latent tb becomes full blown and produces symptoms!
first of all droplets dont travel kilometers in air!!! we inhale 1800 bacteria every minute.. do all of them affect us?? TB affects other organs as well... virtually all organs except the uterus and testis are affected... @sohail99 what you mention above is called secondary TB.. that follows a childhood(generally) infection of TB which the body has fought off.. This disease is as ancient as civilization.. first it was called consumption.. and it was as deadly as today.. did the world perish then??? did all humans die?? stop the paranoia guys..
sohail99 and ManISinJpr like this.
Old 16-01-12   #25
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

first of all droplets dont travel kilometers in air!!! we inhale 1800 bacteria every minute.. do all of them affect us?? TB affects other organs as well... virtually all organs except the uterus and testis are affected... @sohail99 what you mention above is called secondary TB.. that follows a childhood(generally) infection of TB which the body has fought off.. This disease is as ancient as civilization.. first it was called consumption.. and it was as deadly as today.. did the world perish then??? did all humans die?? stop the paranoia guys..
1. Well generally speaking bacteria dont travel several kilometers but given correct atmospheric conditions (esp inversion) they can.

2. You are right that humans have survived the earth for ages without antibiotics but the mortality rate at that time was very very high and most people didnt live so long. Take a look at the mortality charts before penicillin was invented. A simple cut, wound or infection which we take very lightly could rapidly kill you. A lot of people on this forum including myself probably wouldn't be alive without antibiotics.

3. You may want to keep in mind that sohail99 and Free Radical are practicing doctors and routinely treat TB patients. This is not the first time Free Radical has been concerned about TB in India. Even last year, much before the present controversy Free Radical had told me about his concerns of TB in India.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-12   #26
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
trolling around

baba doga is Notable

I am quite aware of TB, it's treatment, the discipline required and the steps that government takes/has been taking. same for tobacco related problems.
if bidi was to get taxed as much as cigarettes, the average life stat of this country would shoot thru the roof. And don't think bidi and TB are not connected. bidi and with oral tobacco products are the reason why government hospital dentists are perpetually busy.
TB is also connected to the food grains that make it to a brewery instead of an eatery.

so no, the government is not doing enough when it comes to general well being and healthcare.

healthcare and human farming control should be the top priority of the day. yep, it's not birth control anymore. people are farming babies , thinking they're growing earning hands and heading to the cities.
baba doga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-12   #27
teh priesT!
[E]onian
Where is AMD?

@vijayninel.. dude im also a doctor.. i have worked in government hospitals and specifically the TB ward for 6 months this year... i know the situation.. it is better than earlier.. Drug resistance is an eventual process in the life cycle of any micro-organism.. survival of the fittest.. whenever an organism mutates/adapts initially it is bound to cause deaths.. later on immunity coupled with better antibiotics help cure the disease.. H1N1 is now resistant to ostealmivir i.e tamiflu.. you want people to worry about that too??

Ask people in chennai who live next to Tambarum sanitorium or in hyderabad(yourself) next to fever hospital.. do all get the disease or all doctors treating TB patients get the disease?? What i am trying to say is people must be educated properly not haphazardly.. Half knowledge is dangerous... It is not as contagious as Hep B or viral diseases.. Body can fight it off if it is seen in smaller quantities.. Immunity is paramount and exposure dose is important..

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 AM ----------

Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
1. Well generally speaking bacteria dont travel several kilometers but given correct atmospheric conditions (esp inversion) they can.
If that was the case AIIMS has such a high intake of TB patients that all in delhi must have TB by now..
Old 17-01-12   #28
Most Valued [E]onian
Most Valued [E]onian
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

Originally Posted by Times of India, Jan 7, 2012
New, deadlier form of TB hits India
MUMBAI:Tuberculosis, which kills around 1,000 people a day in India, has acquired a deadlier edge. A new entity–ominously called Totally Drug–Resistant TB (TDR–TB)–has been isolated in the fluid samples of 12 TB patients in the past three months alone at Hinduja Hospital at Mahim. The hospital’s laboratory has been certified by the World Health Organization (WHO) to test TB patients for drug resistance. While Iran first reported TDRTB cases three years ago, India seems to be only the second country to report this deadly form of the disease. TDR–TB is the result of the latest mutation of the bacilli after Multi–Drug–Resistant TB (MDR–TB) and Extremely Drug–Resistant TB (XDR–TB) were diagnosed earlier. Even more worryingly for Mumbai, 10 of the 12 TDR–TB cases are from the city, while the other two are patients from Ratnagiri and UP. One of the 12 patients has since died. India sees around 3–4 lakh deaths for all forms of TB each year, while the world saw 1.7 million deaths in 2009. As the full form of TDR–TB suggests, none of the known TB combination drugs work on the patient. All 12 showed resistance to 12 drugs. "The TB bacilli have obviously mutated. The emergence of TDR–TB has grave implications for public health," said Hinduja Hospital’s Dr Zarir Udwadia, whose observations have been published in the latest issue of the US-based Clinical Infectious Diseases (CID) peer review journal. His team started isolating TDR–TB cases among patients with pulmonary TB in October 2011.
@desitechi: I don't blame you for having that notion. Its what most of the general populace believes but read the excerpt I quoted above. It has been forwarded to me via bulk mail from the former head of the medical council of India and a senior doctor who is a Padmashree awardee.
The person who made this a separate thread didn't post relevant articles/sources.

TB is mostly a curable disease but treatment of MDR and XDR forms has been unsatisfactory and prolonged. TDR TB is scary since none of the current drugs work at all for as long as you give them!

Not all sick cases of tuberculosis are bed ridden. Ambulatory open cases are what spread the infection.
You can get MDR/XDR/TDR TB if you come in close contact with such a case who has it. A drop of sputum of an open case carries billions of AFB and aerosolized microdroplets in the breath may have sufficient bacteria to spread infection.
True MDR TB may have initially come about by non compliance/injudicious drug therapy/defaulters but someone who already has it can give it to you!

I can count several doctors I know who have indeed got TB and they were healthy as horses before that, one of them during our undergrad years and one unfortunate bloke who sadly even died of it.

For the point of discussion if we assume that it is only persons with lowered immunity that are infected, even then it spells doom for HIV patients/diabetics/those on immunosuppressants due to transplants/chemo or corticosteroids since TDR TB would be fatal for such people.

Of course healthy living helps keeping the infection latent and host defenses (mainly cytotoxic T cell based) may even cure you of it, but if our immune systems were perfect, we'll not have any disease ever and won't even be having this discussion today.

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear x-rays, and I wanna, I wanna smell dark matter!
Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly, because I have to, I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting, spoken language. But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me!
I'm a machine, and I could know much more, I could experience so much more, but I'm trapped in this absurd body!
And why?! Because my...creators thought that "God" wanted it that way.

Last edited by Free Radical; 17-01-12 at 01:32 AM.
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-12   #29
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

If that was the case AIIMS has such a high intake of TB patients that all in delhi must have TB by now..
1. Dont mention and quote someone together. If you quote someone then they get one notification and that is enough.

2. I didnt say the bodys immune system is completely incapable of fighting off all TB bacteria and everybody coming in contact with the bacteria will develop the disease. I do accept that generally people with weakened immune system get TB and the exposure dose is also of significance.

3. TB is currently one of the biggest killers on the planet and kills millions every year. Drug resistant TB means many more will die.

4. Airborne bacteria esp in spores can travel several kilometers in favorable atmospheric conditions. This has been demonstrated in biological weapon tests.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-12   #30
teh priesT!
[E]onian
Where is AMD?

Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
3. TB is currently one of the biggest killers on the planet and kills millions every year. Drug resistant TB means many more will die.
Before this wholly resistant TB arrived we had to counter MDR(multi-drug resistant) and XDR(Extensive-drug resistance) strains.. even though such strains existed majority of the TB cases were still the ones susceptible to the RNTCP regimen.. more than 90 percent.. cure rates have gone upwards.. thats the reason such strains are appearing.. what i believe is that more no of people dying of tb may show this strain but more normal people die because to this strain of TB is not true.. the reason mortality was high in TB is because diagnosis was late initially and treatment was not regimentalised.. now that has been taken care off, more cure rate=lesser deaths.. india have achieved almost 84 percent cure rates in TB cases and improving... as of now MDR and to a good extent even XDR is curable... and as of now your TDR-TB constitutes <0.00002 percent of the worldwide cases..

So vijay bhai its not such a bleak outlook after all..
ManISinJpr and kauffmann like this.
Post New Thread  Reply