Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Laptops and Netbooks
Register Forgot Password?

Old 27-06-17   #1
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Need GSkill/nVidia stickers ..

Thinkpad T420 No POST

Guys,
I have a problem with wify's Thinkpad T420. We have been using two T420s (not the slim model) for the past three years without any issues, but one of them is no more POSTing. It happened yesterday while running the lappie, there was a flickering on the screen (actually my son was playing Max Payne 2) and for a fraction of second there was multicolor display (just like the opening of old time's Doordarshan he heh heh ) and then it just rebooted. After auto reboot the lappie simply refused to POST, no display, yet the CPU fan etc keeps churning and the light on power button keeps blinking.
Things I have tried so far :
1. Exchanging RAMS.
2. Pressing the power button trick without battery/online power.
3. Resetting BIOS by removing CMOS battery
4. trying with an external monitor etc.
I need help guys. It seeems a VGA chip issue/whatsoever. Is there a way to repair VGA in chip level? If there is such chip level repairing, then where to? There is no Lenovo Service Center in my State (Manipur).
Your valuable input is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Regards.

-tamocha11
Old 28-06-17   #2
Patient_Zero
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Zombie Enthusiast

realandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly Admirable
Re: Thinkpad T420 No POST

This highly seems like a mainboard/mobo issue. My first doubt would have been a faulty battery, but since you already tested that, and the laptop is not even outputting to an external monitor, there's something more bigger issue.

I highly suggest calling up Lenovo CC and get the list of the SCs available at your place. If there's truly ain't available, then I suggest you can do 2 things - Get help from a 3rd party one (which I don't suggest naturally) or wait incase if you do any interstate tours (for work/holidays) when you can take that laptop to a reputable service centre.
tamocha11 likes this.
realandR3cys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-17   #3
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

tamocha11 is very Honorabletamocha11 is very Honorable

Dear @realandR3cys, hearty thanks for the input. Yes, it seems the only solution at the moment. What actually happened, (personal) : I sold off all of my desktop setups circa 2013-14 due to a spinal issue as I cannot sit normally, and purchased these two notebooks from ebay on second hand. In these years these notebooks worked superbly in every field, from hardware, battery to performance. It happened, just happened, just happened as it was supposed to. Lol !
I saw some non Lenovo services with promises online, and the nearest location is Kolkata. I saw your profile, saw your location. Could you please suggest some reliable repairing centres in and around Kolkata? Just curious and seeking help. I think, it is a VGA chip issue and probably requires a reballing. I don't think I'll travel in the near future. Thanks again for your assistance.
Regards.

-tamocha11
tamocha11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-17   #4
Patient_Zero
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Zombie Enthusiast

realandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly Admirable

Sure! Below I'm listing some Lenovo as well as non-Lenovo ones (basically they service all known brands), so the non-Lenovo ones wouldn't be a liability.

Non-Lenovo :

RS e Solutions

21a, Lake Rd, Near Lake Market & Lake mall, Opp. Charu Chandra College, Lake Market, Kalighat, Kolkata, West Bengal 700029
PH : 033 6521 8172
(Just keep in mind, near landmark is Kalighat Metro if you're going via Metro)

Logic InfoSys

28/1, Gariahat Road South, Opposite Dhakuria Petrol Pump, Dhakuria, Selimpur, Kolkata, West Bengal 700031
PH : 099038 47043
(Nearest landmark would be South City Mall for instant directions)

Galaxy Services

E-92 B.P. Township, Patuli, EM Bypass, Shahid Khudiram Metro, Near Patuli Spencer's, Block H, Block E, Baishnabghata Patuli Twp, Garia, Kolkata, West Bengal 700094
PH : 097484 85918
(As said, nearest landmark is the Khudiram Metro)

Only Lenovo ones :

Digital Service

Teghoria, Baguiati, V. I. P. Enclave, SHOP No 001, Raghunathpur, Baguiati, Kolkata, West Bengal 700059
PH : 084202 50975
(This is the nearest to the Kolkata Airport, if you happen to flew down here)

Near Central Metro Station Gate no 4, Chittaranjan Avenue, Bowbazar, Kolkata, West Bengal 700012
PH : 033 6553 7852

Hopefully you get this sorted out quickly. Having a dysfunctional system is such a nightmare, especially when it's your main system!
realandR3cys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17   #5
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

tamocha11 is very Honorabletamocha11 is very Honorable

Thanks dear @realandR3cys for the help. I'll try one of them as most of them are doing business online also. Thanks again dude.
tamocha11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply