Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Cooling and Overclocking
Register Forgot Password?

Old 11-02-10   #1
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Are These Temps Ok? (Core I7)

Hello folks, before I started doing some light OC, I wanted to make sure that my system was stable at stock settings, without any after market cooling devices (no thermal compounds either).

I ran Mprime (the linux port of Prime95) for an hour without any issues. The temperatures were as follows:

Idle: CPU: 25-26
IOH: 64

Load: CPU: 84
IOH: 77

I know that IOH temps are high at idle (known issue among MSI Pro-E boards), but am getting an Antec Spot Cool fan to fix that.

However what I want to know is that at full load, isn't the CPU temp too high ? My system didn't crash (I tested for one hour only), but since I am new to this subject, please let me know what you think.

Also, is there a possibility of slightly OCing the system, say up to 3 GHz, with the stock cooler, or should I start saving for a good CPU cooler for these mild OCs ?
alcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10   #2
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renowned
stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned
Re: Are These Temps Ok? (Core I7)

Given the high TDP of Bloomfield chips, I would assume that those temps on the stock cooler are not too high but most people don't OC i7s on the stock cooling hardware as it is barely sufficient.
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10   #3
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

alcy is Notable

Thanks for the reply mate. The thing that concerns me the most is that having read quite a few reviews & benchmarks, with or without after market coolers, no review mentions temperatures at full load this high. Most of them are in 60-65 range. Of course, without overclocking. I am getting a CM Nano Fusion (or AS Ceramique, if not too expensive) to apply them to the CPU, hopefully that will bring the temps down. Any suggestions/pointers in this regard ?
Old 11-02-10   #4
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned

Nano Fusion is probably better than ceramique. But I would suggest you get even a middle-range CPU cooler to replace the stock ones.

Also, are you sure you've seated the heatsink properly? The push-pin design is utterly useless.
Old 11-02-10   #5
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

alcy is Notable

AFAIK I have seated it properly. Initially I had placed it wrong, and it went on coming off, but I fixed that (I wasn't aware of what I was doing wrong, this being my first build).

Thanks for suggesting nano fusion.

Talking of mid range coolers, CM Hyper 212+ has got nice re3views, and is also available easily. Is it a good choice considering I won't be overclocking much ?
Old 11-02-10   #6
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

Yep, the 212+ should do you just fine.
Old 12-02-10   #7
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

alcy is Notable

Thanks again. I hope it doesn't interfere with the RAM on my Pro-E in CM 690.

Last edited by alcy; 12-02-10 at 05:58 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply