Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > General Hardware and Peripherals
Register Forgot Password?

Old 17-01-09   #1
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Living life king size

Suggest a good Voltage Stabilizer

Hi Folks

I have a APC inverter at home for the power cuts.. but off late the inverter switches over to battery in the middle of the night even though main power is on. After a lot of troubleshooting by APC and several replacements of the inverter unit, it was found that the input voltage of the power provided by MSEB is very high which causes the inverter to cutover to the batter for protection. So tonite when the same thing happened I checked the voltage using a muiltimeter and was shocked to find the reading at 268 volts.

The APC guy had told me that the cutoff would happen around 270 volts and he said the only way to work around this problem is to install a Voltage Stabilizer.
So

1. Do you know of any good voltage stabilizers the can put directly on the main lines instead of having one voltage stabilizer per isntrument. Also are you aware of anything that can be installed at the building level (meaning a single unit for the whole building).
2. Do Voltage stabilizers have power ratings since the power required by AC would be different from that required by the fan.
3. I am not worrried about the computer as that is coming thru a UPS so that i guess has a stabilizer, but the rest of my house does not have any stabilizers.. never thought I would require it in Mumbai.
Jinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09   #2
the rocK!
[E]onian
Nordic

Rig Gallery

Rockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly Famed
Re: Suggest a good Voltage Stabilizer

this is jd666 on rockfellas id - get a CVT ( constant voltage transformer ) something that we used to use long time back to stabilise the power to the computer, or get a servo or stabilizer with min 800 watts rating from either blue-bird or indus, best indian servo/stabilizers atm.
i5 4440 - H81 PRO BTC R2.0 - Vengeance 4X2 GB - 850 PRO 128 GB - R7 240 - Pana L42ET60D / Dell S2240L - 3 TB HDD - Audio Technica M40x - FiiO E10 - Swans M50 W - Xonar DX - Fenvi 9260 WiFi/BT 5 - Corsair K55 - Logitech G102 - VS350 - Carbide 400R
Rockfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09   #3
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Living life king size

Jinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly Admirable

JD666
Thanks for the info.. but 800W is it sufficient for the entire house ?? or are talking on a per appliance basis. Thanks
Old 18-01-09   #4
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renowned
stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned

Per appliance.
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09   #5
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

JD666 is highly ProminentJD666 is highly ProminentJD666 is highly Prominent

nope for the whole house you would need in kW!!!! take the amperage rating of the master fuse installed in your house, i am forgetting the power calculation for AC current, and that would be the requirement, here in north india, we simply install individual smaller stabilizers for appliances like fridge, tv, microwave etc.

you do not need to put fan/lights/washing machine/geyzer etc on stabilizer, they dont get damaged easily with voltage fluctuations

@ stoney, as usual beat me to it... but this was in reply to the same thing.. per appliance requirement is lower.
JD666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09   #6
Semper foo
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Ignorance is Bliss

SignOps is extremely Renowned
SignOps is extremely RenownedSignOps is extremely RenownedSignOps is extremely Renowned

I was also having trouble with the UPS - at 2.00 in the night they would start beeping for no apparent reason. I suspected the battery or the circuit of the UPS or just the voltage fluctuation. But finally, for some other problem - I replaced the main switch it was plugged to and I haven't had a problem since then. The switch was faulty and was sending wrong signals to the UPS. Dunno if thats ur case - but it could be one part of the problem.

SignOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09   #7
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Living life king size

Jinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly Admirable

^.. thats not the problem in my case as i checked the voltage at all the plugpoints in my house.. during the day its around 250V but during the night it goes upto 268V which causes my Inverter to trip.. but suprisingly my UPS (connected to the PC) does not complain.

Jd666, stonedsurd.. thank you for your inputs.

Does anyone know where i can get these Stabilizers in Mumbai.
Old 18-01-09   #8
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renowned
stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned

Any decent 'bijli ki dukaan'
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply