Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Reviews & Previews
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article
Strontium Ultra-Speed 2.5” Swift 128GB SSD Review
Date: 04-09-10
Topic: Reviews & Previews
Author: Madhusudan Banik

About Author:
Network admin at day. [E] Lead Hardware Geek at night

Index
Features and Performance 
Index

Before we begin introduction and testing of the product, we will look at some information about the company which has made this SSD. Strontium Technology, a company established in 2002 by 2 Indians - Vivian Singh and Anshuman Gupta, though not very new have kept a very low profile until now. We have seen Strontium products in Nehru Place since last few years now, but today we will be testing one of its flagship SSD - Swift Ultra Speed 128GB SSD.

From Strontium Website:
"Strontium Technology Pte Ltd is manufacturer of PC and FLASH Memory based in Singapore. We have a manufacturing capacity of 500,000 memory modules per month.]Founded in 2002, we have since grown from strength to strength and now have operations in varied territories to optimally serve customers spread across Australia, New Zealand, South East Asia, India, US and Latin America. We have our presence and markets in over 30 countries.
Here at Strontium, customers,employees and suppliers are viewed with equal importance and significance, thereby fostering a strong, cohesive and collaborative working culture that allows for forging of strong industrial and customer relations.Our in-depth understanding of the memory market, coupled with expert product knowledge, gives it unassailable competitive advantage over competitors."[/QUOTE]

Strontium not only makes SSDs but a host of other memory based products as well; Below you will find the complete list of products offered by the company. Not everything is being distributed in India as of now though.
  • All speeds: (SDRAM, DDR1, DDR2, DDR3)
  • All capacity: 64MB – 8GB
  • All applications: desktops, notebooks, servers, gaming platforms, apple series
  • Flash Cards (MicroSD, SD, MicroSDHC Class 2/6/10, SDHC class 10/6)
  • Storage Devices (Solid State Drives , USB Flash Drives, External Hard Drives)

Index
Features and Performance 

Tools
Add to thebanik's Karma
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
<< <    Next Page: Features and Performance (Page 1 of 9)    >  >>
By Free Radical 05-09-10
Re: Strontium Ultra-Speed 2.5” Swift 128GB SSD Review

Great review!
Do they have any lesser capacity ssd?.
A 16GB ssd for the OS would make a good entry level performance disk for the Indian market.
By Superfrag 05-09-10

Nice review man!
By ManISinJpr ♦ 05-09-10

This is indeed a great review Banik, and an equally good product, now if they start offering TRIM, it will be hard to beat.
By Free Radical 05-09-10

TRIM is overrated
You can always do an offline copy and paste
I mean boot from another drive, copy the data to another drive, wipe the ssd clean and paste back the data.
Works great even on HDDs. Saves me from defragging and barely takes 5 minutes.
By vijayninel 05-09-10

Thanks for the great review Banik. I admit, even I did not expect Strontium to come up with such good numbers. Surprisingly good performance there.
By KiD0M4N 05-09-10
idea Re: Strontium Ultra-Speed 2.5” Swift 128GB SSD Review

Originally Posted by Free Radical View Post
TRIM is overrated
I mean boot from another drive, copy the data to another drive, wipe the ssd clean and paste back the data.
5 mins? You mean for the OS / Programs partitions?
By Free Radical 05-09-10

Yep. Even lesser. Since my partitions are only like 5 gigs and 10 gigs and my programs partition is static.
Years back, i even had a separate profiles partition but that is overkill
By ManISinJpr ♦ 05-09-10

Well everything is overrated for you, as I told you if you remember. see these things are meant for all people and not just tech freaks... get my point... why dont you submit your observations to some tech companie and maybe it will merit an award of some sort.
for me TRIM is a good thing. you dont like it as XP doesn't support it..
Yep. Even lesser. Since my partitions are only like 5 gigs and 10 gigs and my programs partition is static.
Years back, i even had a separate profiles partition but that is overkill

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

ANd for a guy like me who has a boot partition of 65 GB's with all the installations, having a secondary hdd just to do a clean and copy paste... is a big No No.
By Free Radical 05-09-10

pfft... I guess my advice is lost on you folks
Only a few days back I was talking to vijay how I used my half a gig Ramdisk for encoding 20 gigs of music for my mobile and it merely took a fraction of the time it would have taken if I had used a hard disk or even a "SSD".
You just need a simple script to copy of binary data every few seconds, and boy was my processor being slaughtered!

But I guess I'd rather ask some tech company to reward me for obviating the need for faster disks for high io apps.
Well tyvm. I'd better zip it and keep it to myself.
By ManISinJpr ♦ 05-09-10

^^ You get hurt like a girl, so easily. what you comment sometimes is also demeaning others, but the main point is that TRIM is needed coz ( it will not be possible for you ) most of the guys won't have those scripts etc to do that.
they just need a fast computer ( even if they dont understand or utilize its capacity. )
now stop sulking and then post some details about your ram disk
By thebanik 06-09-10

As I have been told, Strontium engineers will be working to add TRIM support, hopefully that would be soon......
By Xeo 06-09-10

Hope they release 32gb variants for less...
Much less than Intel.
By vijayninel 06-09-10

They do have 64gb swifts as well.
By pegasus 06-09-10

TRIM is overrated
FR sir,
I don't know what to say but that i am very confused.
You call something overrated even though it saves common users from having-
- a separate/spare HDD of a certain capacity for the task you describe
- an OS installed on it
- do all those things (when a lot of people, sometimes even good IT chaps, dump everything on desktop/C
- keeping the HDD just for that purpose (because it needs to be done quite regularly iirc)

But even if owe do all the things you have guided us to do, i am still confused.
Coz then i fail to see the purpose of technology and/or technological innovation/s.
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.erodov.com/forums/strontium-ultra-speed-2-5-swift-128gb-ssd-review/33322.html
Posted By For Type Date
Home This thread Refback 01-10-10 08:47 AM