Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Blogs
Register Forgot Password?

Old 17-07-11   #1
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
Stop Passenger 91 ! - Adventures of a Harassed Overclocker

Stop Passenger 91..! Bring him back ...!!

Mumbai, Chhatrapati Shivaji Airport, 8:20 PM : Karan and I are returning from the Asus power user conference where we had done a cryogenic overclocking demo. Inside Karans backpack bag is a 15kg solid copper pot used for cooling the CPU to sub-zero cryogenic temperatures. Both of us are going back to Hyderabad on the same flight.

8:26 PM : Both of us check-in the baggage and take our boarding passes. Karans backpack with the CPU pot in it is put in my name as well by the illustrious Spicejet staff.

8:38 PM : We have cleared our security checks and the aircraft is ready to take off. We are ready for boarding the bus taking us to the aircraft when karan decides that Mumbai is too humid and he has to change his shirt. In the meantime a security guard receives a message on his radio. He appears alarmed and shouts out to the rest ... "Stop passenger no 91...! Bring him back from the aircraft if he has gone ..!". I though to myself - Ah .. some poor champ must be in trouble.

8:41 PM : Karan comes back after changing his E-shirt and looks refreshed. We show our boarding passes for the final security check. Karan goes through and I hand in my pass. The Spicejet staff look startled and tell me that. "Sir your baggage has been blocked on level 4. Please go back and get it cleared." I immediately knew that this was about the pot. One of the Spicejet staff shouts at me - "follow me fast, fast" and starts running at full speed. Karan tries to come with me but the security stop him from going along with me.

8:42 PM : We now have to go back through the security chains. The CISF (airport security) staff "temporary cancel" my ticket and ask us to go to "level 4" upstairs where the backpack has been blocked.

8:43PM : The Spicejet staffer is running like mad and I am having a tough job keeping up with him. among the hurdles that we have to do are jumping over a running convener belt.

8:44 PM : We reach level 4 where I see the backpack inside a tray. The Spice jet staffer talks to the CISF staff. Two CISF guards join us and ask me to take out all the contents of the backpack. I took out the CPU pot and said that it must be this which has caught your attention. They said yes, that is probably it and asked me as to what it was. I told them that it was a CPU pot which we used for overclocking. They asked me what is this "overclocking" thing and how is this heavy metal object used in that. I did my best to explain that in brief.

8:46 PM : The CISF inspector asks me why the "pot" is still so cold and I said it was from the Liquid Nitrogen we had poured in it some hours ago. The words "Liquid Nitogen" makes them very alarmed and I immediately knew that this may have been a wrong move. They were concerned if this Liquid Nirogen is some dangerous chemical and if it posed some threat to the aircraft. I explained to them that Liquid nitrogen is just compressed air and there is none of it stored inside the pot now. In retrospect I should not have used the words "liquid nitrogen" but instead have just used the words coolant or something similar. Karan is now sending me SMS's asking what is happening which ring out in the nyan-cat ringtone. The CISF personnel first look at each other and then at me upon hearing the ringtone.

8:47 PM : The CISF personnel finally give me the clearance and allow the package to go through. The Spicejet staffer is now running like a gazelle being chased by a cheetah and I have a tough time keeping up with him. I flip a stair rack in order to jump over a running convener belt making a loud sound. We break the queue and re-pass the security frisking. The CISF personnel un-cancel my ticket now.

8:51 PM : After clearing the security we again start running like mad again. I reach the boarding station out of breath and we board the last bus to the aircraft.

Hyderabad, Rajiv Gandhi Airport, 10:45 PM : We have been waiting for the backpack on the belt for quite some time now. All the other luggage has arrived but not our great backpack. Finally a Airport staffer brings the bag to us in a trolley with "Fragile" stickers all over it. He explains that packages marked fragile are kept separately (possibly in explosion proof containers). We finally pick up the bag and head back home.

So that was the adventure we went through yesterday. To be fair the CISF personnel, airport and airline staff were courteous and helpful at all times. Their concerns about the pot may have been justified but it nearly cost me my flight. The lessons learned were:

1. If taking a pot along on a flight always report well ahead of time.
2. keep photos of the pot being used during an overclocking session and a printout describing in easy to understand language as to what is overclocking.
3. Avoid using names of chemicals in front of the security staff if possible. Tell them that there is no chemical present in it now.

Hope that helps any of you taking pots along with you on aircraft.

Old 17-07-11   #2
teh spamm[E]R!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

thebanik is extemely Distinguished
thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished
Re: Stop Passenger 91 ! - Adventures of a Harassed Overclocker

hahahahahaha, yeah true, this has been covered by many overclockers. Its not just India but all around the globe that you need to keep photographs to make the airport staff understand the usage of a CPU/GPU pot,
Maximus V Gene (MSI Z77-GD65, Gigabyte P67A-UD7, EVGA Classified E760,MSI Eclipse,DFI DK P45 Plus, Foxconn Mars, Asus P5Ne-SLI, Asus P5B Deluxe/Wifi AP), Intel 3770k Benched @ 6.7Ghz, Intel 2600K Benched @ 5.7 Ghz, AMD 8150 Benched @ 7.45 Ghz, Intel 980X Benched @ 6.07Ghz, AMD 970BE Benched @ 6.63Ghz, (Intel i5 680 Benched @ 6.44Ghz, Intel i7 950 Benched @ 5150Mhz, Intel E8600 Benched @ 5.71Ghz, Intel QX9650 Benched @5.41Ghz, Intel Core2 Duo E8400@4.6Ghz, e4300 @ 3.52 Ghz), Thermalright Venomous X, GSkill 6400 2 x 1 GB @ 1260Mhz , HIS 7970 (MSI GTX 580, MSI GTX 480, EVGA GTX295, Asus 4870 x2, EVGA 9800GX2, Visiontek 3870 x2, XFX 8800GT, Nvidia 7900GTX, XFX 8600GT), DELL E248WFP Monitor, CoolerMaster Benchtable, Antec HCP 1200W, Altec Lansing 641 400 RMS Watts with Auzentech X-Plosion

SVGTECH HOC40 and HOC20 Review

Corsair Vengeance K90, M90 and M60 Review

Gigabyte P67 UD7 + Intel i7 2600k Preview

Strontium Ultra Speed 128GB SSD Review

Gigabyte GX-X58A-UD9 Review
thebanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-11   #3
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Scorpion is highly AdmirableScorpion is highly AdmirableScorpion is highly AdmirableScorpion is highly AdmirableScorpion is highly AdmirableScorpion is highly AdmirableScorpion is highly Admirable

lol what sadness ... at least you guys didnt miss your flight ... but yea ... only few know what that block is used for ... even new people to overclocking wont know about it so anyone at the airport was sure be like wtf ...
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-11   #4
Xeo
Th[E] Troll
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Papa Donger

Xeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply Great

When I saw the word pot I had something else in my mind entirely, but I am glad you guys caught your flight!
mrnikhilsudo likes this.
GTX580 Twin Frozr II
Silent Pro M700
Tempest 410 Elite
Xeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-11   #5
teh priesT!
[E]onian
Overworked & Underpaid.

KM0111 is highly ReputableKM0111 is highly ReputableKM0111 is highly Reputable

Must have been some experience. Can imagine the look on the security guys face when you're explaining this whole overclocking thing
Old 17-07-11   #6
teh geeK!
[E]onian

prajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famed

nice ordeal

---------------------------------------------------------
Home : Core i5 3470, Z77, 4x4 GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair 400R
Travel & Work : Dell Latitude E6320

prajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-11   #7
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

JD666 is highly ProminentJD666 is highly ProminentJD666 is highly Prominent

Interesting.. Though in my adventures with the CISF people, its just better to keep it simple... "Its used to cool a computer chip/processor inside a cabinet with coolant. Its pure metal, and nothing inside it, you can consider it as a component, like a car part or something. Please X-Ray and confirm that there is nothing inside it, and its one single piece metal".

And yes.. dont mention chemicals, as some chemicals are considered highly corrosive to the aircraft fuselage and are a banned item unless without proper documentation and packaging.
JD666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-11   #8
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Life no so Jingalala! lol!

Pernicious is very Notable

haha, that was indeed very interesting read. But, I feel for you, you must be really anxious that time for your flight.
Any-way, all's well that ENDS well
Pernicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-11   #9
MOZ
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
That's Me!

Rig Gallery

MOZ is highly ProminentMOZ is highly ProminentMOZ is highly Prominent

Hahahahahahahaha
MOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-11   #10
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by JD666 View Post
its just better to keep it simple... "Its used to cool a computer chip/processor inside a cabinet with coolant. Its pure metal, and nothing inside it, you can consider it as a component, like a car part or something. Please X-Ray and confirm that there is nothing inside it, and its one single piece metal".
Yes, I did try to keep it simple as possible though in retrospect I could have made it more dumbed down and clear. It was a difficult and tense situation and they had a lot of doubts. You see a CPU pot is a very dense and heavy lump of metal which is very unusual and different from common household objects. Even firearms and some explosives can have a lot of metal in them. But anyway I was able to clarify that the object was quite harmless.

It must also be recalled that two days before this there were IED bomb blasts in Mumbai which killed several people and so the security staff were in a heightened state of alertness.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-11   #11
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Game On!

mrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputable

^ there you have it..... heck I even put off buying a new guitar for a week ... because I would have to get it from Dadar in Mumbai(where the blasts took place) ..and looking at such a huge package... the cops would have surely stripped me down just to check me.

PS: that first sentence should be "Karan and I" ...
KrashNBurn likes this.

iShock and S-plosion

are the two new killer features of the smartphones
mrnikhilsudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-11   #12
Banned
Turbo Rambo FTW

Rig Gallery

Arun.P is highly AdmirableArun.P is highly AdmirableArun.P is highly AdmirableArun.P is highly AdmirableArun.P is highly AdmirableArun.P is highly AdmirableArun.P is highly Admirable

thank for inform the detail and nice useful one
MY RIG Intel 2500k oc 5.2 ghz push and pull AT Evercooler transformer Asrock z68 genZ68 Extreme4 Gen3 MBBOARD )640 gb and 1 TB and 2TB WD, 128 GB SSD OCZ sata3 leadtek Nvidia gtx 580 plus Zotac 580 GTX in SLI ready Logitech mx518 and G15 keyboard & AcerGD245HQ With Nvidia 3D vision 2 Coolmaster Slientpro 1000 watt 2x4 =8 gb ddr3 ram Corsiar Trident 1600 mhz & corsair Obsidian 800D

I am physically challenged in hearing department.
Arun.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-11   #13
Lead Lead
Administrator
12 years a admin!

Rig Gallery

KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!
KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!
idea Re: Stop Passenger 91 ! - Adventures of a Harassed Overclocker

Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
Yes, I did try to keep it simple as possible though in retrospect I could have made it more dumbed down and clear. It was a difficult and tense situation and they had a lot of doubts. You see a CPU pot is a very dense and heavy lump of metal which is very unusual and different from common household objects. Even firearms and some explosives can have a lot of metal in them. But anyway I was able to clarify that the object was quite harmless.

It must also be recalled that two days before this there were IED bomb blasts in Mumbai which killed several people and so the security staff were in a heightened state of alertness.
Dude! In retrospect, I know the reason why they let you go without further reasoning.

You owe me a lot!

I called in the most fortunate time! The nyan.cat ringtone did the trick.

No terrorist in his right (or wrong?) state of mind would have the nyan.cat ringtone.
vijayninel likes this.

KiD0M4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-11   #14
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Hahahaha ... the nyan cat ringtone was a major embarrassment. The CISF personell were shocked. How could you expect me to reply at that time. I will change the ringtone right now.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-11   #15
Banned

Rig Gallery

Sumonpathak is extremely Renowned
Sumonpathak is extremely RenownedSumonpathak is extremely RenownedSumonpathak is extremely Renowned

for everyone who is thinking WTfrut is nyancat...you better listen to this
Free ringtones, themes, wallpapers, games. Millions of downloads for your mobile phone | Zedge
mrnikhilsudo likes this.

Cause I won't wait for the debt to be repaid

Time has come for you

Sumonpathak is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply