Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Reviews & Previews
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article
SteelSeries Kinzu Optical Mouse Review
SteelSeries Kinzu Optical Mouse Review
The small wonder
Date: 14-09-09
Topic: Reviews & Previews
Author: Aman "Cyn1c" Parmar

Pros:
-Very Precise Tracking -Ambidextrous -No excessive gliding -Perfect mouse for people with small hands -No glossy sides so the thumb doesn't slip off -Built-in memory to store 3 different profile settings

Cons:
-No rubber gripping on top -No side buttons (for people with smaller hands!) -Not apt for people with medium to large sized hands
Index
Technical Specifications & Highlights 
Index

Steelseries Kinzu Mouse Review

Introduction

Ever since SteelSeries announced the Kinzu optical and its Laser cousin Xai, the gaming community has been abuzz with speculation, gossip and anticipation. Steel series has put a lot of thought into this compact product that boasts of new technology. As an owner/user of a variety of brands of mice (Razer copperhead, Razer deathadder, MS IE 1.1, MS IE 3.0, Logitech MX500 and Logitech MX518), I've developed a fairly decent understanding of gaming mice. Let's take a look into the latest offering from the house of SteelSeries and see if Kinzu lives up to being a representative of the brand that gamers all over the world vouch for.

Index
Technical Specifications & Highlights 

Tools
Add to Cyn1c's Karma
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
<< <    Next Page: Technical Specifications & Highlights (Page 1 of 5)    >  >>
By vijayninel 14-09-09
Re: SteelSeries Kinzu Optical Mouse Review

Great article Cyn1c. Repped

Edit : Not allowing to rep "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Cyn1c again."

Will make up or it later
By ViKiD 14-09-09

Very nice review...

PS: can jo0 add some real pics here
By thebanik 14-09-09

eaten then dugged......
Last edited by vijayninel; 14-09-09 at 06:10 PM..
By javelin 14-09-09

nice review.....repped....
By blufox 14-09-09

Aman, Can I rant here on the mouse in your Article?
Might krap it so asking you first .

BTW repped ya for nice article. Nice going.
By Cyn1c 14-09-09

Thanks guys!

@Vikid: My cam crapped out otherwise, I had a good lineup of pics ready for this article. I'll try again and post a link here.

@blufox: Go ahead. A review is supposed to be one person's opinion and everyone else might think differently.

@everyone: If you have any questions about any mouse jargons that you don't quite understand, please feel free to drop in with your questions here.
By KiD0M4N 14-09-09

Great review Cynic. Keep it up!
By blufox 15-09-09

1. I think mouse is one of the best optical mouses I have ever used.
2. Sure people with very large hands might find trouble adjusting to it initially .
3. Single click issue I noticed only in games not in normal browsing, are you sure it is a hardware issue? I am not sure because it is visible only is games and that too only when I use fast weapon switch with fire button pressed, else no.
4. I think middle scroll and button are miles ahead of my G5. Logitech should learn how to make a good middle scroll wheel from Steelseries.
5. You did not post how well the mouse holds the 500MHz polling rate , you try with 1000MHz because with 500MHz I have posted it in my upgraditis thread, you can use that Cynic, provided you want to .
6. I liked the finish, which is matte(?), or what should be the correct word? Mouse never slips, even when my palms are sweating or are wet.
7. I did have issue with the software downloaded from SS site , still looking to fix it. Which OS are you running and which Service pack cynic, possibly also if t is 32 or 64 bit OS.

Rest Cynic has covered though I have shamelessly repeated few point .

Thanks Cynic once again for awesome review
By Cyn1c 15-09-09

1. Couldn't agree more!
2. Yes, because the Kinzu is not a tall mouse. It's small both length wise and in terms of height. This leaves a big gap between your palm and the top of the mouse and makes for a rather uncomfy hand position. Ofcourse you can rest your palm on the mouse but your fingers would be sticking out like your feet from a smaller bed
3. The left-click's sinky feel need not be felt in-game or on the desktop itself. Simply unplug the mouse (so that you don't end up launching random apps on the desktop) and face the front of the mouse. Left click the mouse and then right click the mouse. You'll notice the difference right-away.
4. Yes, the build quality is superb. The scroll wheel tests were fairly satisfactory.
5. SteelSeries mice default to a polling rate of 500 hz. Ofcourse I could've provided a sampling rate screenie but I didn't want to state the obvious.
6. Yes, it doesn't slip at all and that's what I loved about the sides of the mouse too. I'd have hated any amount of gloss on an already compact mouse. I'd still have preferred a rubber grip on top for a more refined look/feel and grip.
7. I'm on XP Pro 32-bit with SP2. The software worked like a charm for me and 1000 Hz polling was just fantastic. It's a shame though that SteelSeries did not include a drivers CD with the Kinzu bundle.

I highly recommend cloth mouse mats with this mouse instead of the plastic ones for the most pleasurable experience.

Originally Posted by blufox View Post
1. I think mouse is one of the best optical mouses I have ever used.
2. Sure people with very large hands might find trouble adjusting to it initially .
3. Single click issue I noticed only in games not in normal browsing, are you sure it is a hardware issue? I am not sure because it is visible only is games and that too only when I use fast weapon switch with fire button pressed, else no.
4. I think middle scroll and button are miles ahead of my G5. Logitech should learn how to make a good middle scroll wheel from Steelseries.
5. You did not post how well the mouse holds the 500MHz polling rate , you try with 1000MHz because with 500MHz I have posted it in my upgraditis thread, you can use that Cynic, provided you want to .
6. I liked the finish, which is matte(?), or what should be the correct word? Mouse never slips, even when my palms are sweating or are wet.
7. I did have issue with the software downloaded from SS site , still looking to fix it. Which OS are you running and which Service pack cynic, possibly also if t is 32 or 64 bit OS.

Rest Cynic has covered though I have shamelessly repeated few point .

Thanks Cynic once again for awesome review
By SidK!! 25-09-09

should recieve my kinzu today

can't wait to try it out.....

awesum review BTW.....but the small size will srely pose a problem for me
By SidK!! 28-09-09

ok ijust used it....dis is a awesomly awesome mouse....but the problem is...its small!!!!
By Cyn1c 01-10-09

Originally Posted by SidK!! View Post
ok ijust used it....dis is a awesomly awesome mouse....but the problem is...its small!!!!
Yep, that's what people coming from larger mice have complained about. After a good 2-3 years on a 518, I couldn't get used to the mouse even after a week. It's form factor helps in better yawing though.
By SidK!! 02-10-09

^^
I guess i will have to sell it
By blufox 02-10-09

^^^ are you crazy Sid?
Give sometime to it.
You ll love it once you get used to it.
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.erodov.com/forums/steelseries-kinzu-optical-mouse-review/24834.html
Posted By For Type Date
notebooky-forum.notebook.cz :: Zobrazit tma - Najlepie notebooky dneka This thread Refback 16-08-11 01:19 PM
notebooky-forum.notebook.cz :: Zobrazit tma - Najlepie notebooky dneka This thread Refback 01-08-11 09:28 PM