Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Tutorials and Guides
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article
Solder Like a Pro
Solder Like a Pro
Date: 14-04-10
Topic: Tutorials and Guides
Author: Quitman Wesley Lott III

About Author:
I have a wife, two sons, 21&23 ,two foster daughters, 3&6

Index
Tools of the trade 
Index

Solder Like a Pro

Bring a Friend Back To Life

Last week, I replaced six bad capacitors in a power supply, and saved a 300 dollar, 22 inch LED monitor from the junk pile. The monitor looks and now works like new. Two weeks ago, I resoldered some bad cracked solder connections on the amp board going to the controller of a Harman Kardon speaker system. The system sounds great again.

When it's not economically feasible to have an item repaired, or the pc board you need to repair it is no longer available, you have nothing to lose by breaking out the soldering iron. You say you don't know how to trouble shoot? There's lots of help available on the internet, mostly in the form of YouTube tutorials and forums (Google It).

Replacing bad capacitors, repairing failed connectors, doing voltage modifications, customizing the length of the cables on your power supply or fans, there are lots of reasons an enthusiast would need a good working knowledge of how to solder. Most people solder poorly. I was professionally trained and have been soldering for a living for over 30 years. My goal is to turn you into an expert.

Index
Tools of the trade 

Tools
Add to Luke Warm's Karma
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
<< <    Next Page: Tools of the trade (Page 1 of 5)    >  >>
By vijayninel 22-04-10
Re: Solder Like a Pro

Thanks for the great tips . This article will be useful for me specially in desoldering. However I feel that a lot the electronics these days are coming in SMD packages so the trends in soldering too have changed in that direction.
By blufox 22-04-10

Wow, this is what I call hands on practical Review.
Very impressive Review there.
Thanks for sharing with us .
By ManISinJpr ♦ 22-04-10

Thanks for this article, very thorough soldering tips there.
By Marun ♥ 22-04-10
Icon7 Re: Solder Like a Pro

Great article. A must for all gadget freaks.
By blufox 22-04-10

*oops - s/review/article... hehe
/ must take morning coffee before typing
By stonedsurd 22-04-10

Great article. We've needed something like this for a long time. Have some rep.
By Arun.P 22-04-10

nice review but some problem btw i have test it before but it make me at headache and take long time to repair and lot of issue

even i test the laptop but some issue at nvidia motherboard got heating problem
By Luke Warm 22-04-10

Thank you all. It took me a long time to write this article.
I agenized over the wording so the article would cover the subject well and be easy to understand. I wrote it because I saw nothing else out there like it, and I wanted to pass this knowledge along. I'm very glad to see it was helpful to somebody.
By baba doga 22-04-10

so what does a good solder look like? the article began with the question and ended with it. I've been soldering stuff since i was 11 and I am sure that stories alone won't teach anyone how to solder.

don't get me wrong there. the article is well written. only that it won't serve the purpose.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

and then, it' a polished copy. http://www.rcpowers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25721
By vijayninel 22-04-10

Originally Posted by rpm19050 View Post
so what does a good solder look like? the article began with the question and ended with it. I've been soldering stuff since i was 11 and I am sure that stories alone won't teach anyone how to solder.

don't get me wrong there. the article is well written. only that it won't serve the purpose.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

and then, it' a polished copy. How To Solder - Page 4 - RCPowers Forum
There is more info added here than he had written in that article there. The articles intention is to give you more pointers on how to solder better, ultimately you have to apply your own experience and skill.
By Cyn1c 22-04-10

Glad to have a pro in the walk of life and soldering on our website. Thanks a lot for sharing this.
By Luke Warm 22-04-10

Originally Posted by rpm19050 View Post

and then, it' a polished copy. How To Solder - Page 4 - RCPowers Forum
Reread the article,it's in there.
From this article "When finished, your solder job should look smooth, clean, professional, and have a smooth flow into the metals it's joining. A bad solder job looks beaded up, ruff, cracked, pitted or dirty".
Yes, I have a short thread at RC powers on how to solder connectors and wires together. And yes that is how I got started on this article, but I wanted to write something that was much more complete. In a thread, you have to keep things short and simple ,or nobody finishes reading it.
By KiD0M4N 22-04-10

I wish I had come across this article (or had access to internet) when my interest in EE was budding (almost 12-10 years ago!) Would have helped me a lot.

Good job on the article
By SidK!! 22-04-10

awesome article man!!You have my vote!!
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search

Tags
connection, iron, pro, repaire, solder, tinning