Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Storage Solutions
Register Forgot Password?

Old 09-08-13   #1
jdn
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
weekend techie

Icon14 Single Bad Sector. Cause and Possible Repair

I bought a used Seagate HDD from a local person. As he sold his PC i had no way to check before purchase, but he give me his word that if i am not satisfied he will return the money. So i bought it and took a good analysis. Here are some screenshots

SMART
s250_smart.png

Full Scan
s250_errorscan.png

Drive got single Bad Sector.But SMART indicates no sector reallocation, why is that?

Is it possible to repair the sector? i already tried Windows scan and a version of Seatool for DOS (booted from USB). Seatool didn't detect any drives at all, i guess its because of UEFI, correct me if wrong.

12h later: BAD SECTOR REPAIRED

I used Seagate's Seatool for DOS and made a Bootable pendrive with it. A long scan in it fixed the sector. New screenshots added
SMART
smart.png

The Bad sector was reported in the beginning as you can see in previous pic. So i took a partial scan.
partial-scan.png

Hard Disk Sentinel report a 2% health increase to 95%

For future reference for anyone who face this problem

First use HD Tunes to detect the problem.

Download diagnostics tool from the manufacturer. I used Seatools for Seagate.
Note: The seatools comes in 3 editions, for Windows, Mac and DOS. Windows tools cannot fix the sectors. the DOS tool actually is a bootable image with a good GUI. Its sized 9MB.

I failed to boot it from a USB Pendrive. If you face same problem, download SeaTools_Bootable_USB_Kit. It also contains the latest Seatools.
Follow the instuctions to make a Bootable Seatools for DOS.

REMEMBER to set the SATA Mode to IDE from AHCI in BIOS before booting in to Seatools. If set to AHCI, seatools wont detect any drives at all.

Thanks to @Timon and @topgear for their valuable inputs

Last edited by jdn; 10-08-13 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Problem Solved
jdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-13   #2
jdn
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
weekend techie

jdn is very Respectfuljdn is very Respectful
Re: Single Bad Sector. Cause and Possible Repair

@Timon, can you help?
Old 09-08-13   #3
teh spamm[E]R!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

If you have the possibility to replace or refund, please do.
While there used to be dos tools to unmark bad sectors or reallocate them, any bad sector heralds a failing drive so better take a backup and return the drive. I for one won't use a drive with a bad sector for anything other than as scratch/paging/caching/garbage or non essential data. But then again, why use it at all if it doesn't serve its intended purpose?

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear x-rays, and I wanna, I wanna smell dark matter!
Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly, because I have to, I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting, spoken language. But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me!
I'm a machine, and I could know much more, I could experience so much more, but I'm trapped in this absurd body!
And why?! Because my...creators thought that "God" wanted it that way.
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-13   #4
teh geeK!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Timon is highly AdmirableTimon is highly AdmirableTimon is highly AdmirableTimon is highly AdmirableTimon is highly Admirable

@jdn mate,

Try with this...What do I do if my drive reports bad sectors?

If the drive does have physically bad sectors then it is faulty and should be replaced anyway. There is no point in trying to use it as the problem you describe will very likely just happen again.....

Hope this will help....

Timon....
NZXT Gamma| Gigabyte MA790GP-UD4H| Amd Phenomâ„¢ II X2 555 3.21Ghz| Amd Phenomâ„¢ II X2 550 3.21Ghz| Sumsung B2030 20'5 Inch| EVGA GTX550Ti 1GB GDDR5| ATI Radeon 4350 1GB GDDR2| 1x2Gb xms2 Corsair Gaming Boost 800MHZ| VX450 Corsair| Altec Lensing VS4121 2.1| PhilipsSHP2500, Blue 800| WD2TB, 2x500GB Caviar Green,WD 320GB| Portable 1TB, 500GB Seagate 2.0,40GB From Hitachi 2.0| CMTX3| APC Back-UPS RS 800VA 230V| Logitech Combo| Samsung 22X SATA DVD Writer, Sony 24X Sata DVD Writer| Corsair H80
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-13   #5
jdn
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
weekend techie

I tried Windows tool, it didn't detect any bad sectors. The seatools for DOS did not detect any of my drives at all in my i5 pc. So i tried on my old PD, the software just frozen in gui. In short, i need another method to repair bad sector.
Old 09-08-13   #6
teh geeK!
[E]onian

Timon is highly AdmirableTimon is highly AdmirableTimon is highly AdmirableTimon is highly AdmirableTimon is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by jdn View Post
I tried Windows tool, it didn't detect any bad sectors. The seatools for DOS did not detect any of my drives at all in my i5 pc. So i tried on my old PD, the software just frozen in gui. In short, i need another method to repair bad sector.
In that case it's looks like the hdd is faulty and should be replaced to me... Bad sectors are indicative of a failing drive - you might have "fixed" the previous ones, but you'll start getting more & more.
Save everything you can off it ASAP, and get a new drive by giving your BAD sector HDD.

OR

Just try with PartitionMagic SE 6.0 and format HDD and check it's work or not... Please do Make the first partition a Primary partition. Then make an extended partition out of the remaining space. Inside the extended partition make three logical partitions divided up as you see fit. The extended partition is the partition in which the logical partitions reside so windows will see a total of four partitions when done this way. Try to Install Windows on the Primary partition and check it can work....

Hope this will help you

Timon....
Old 10-08-13   #7
teh priesT!
[E]onian

topgear is Notable

I've used HDD with single bad sector ... just because of a single bad sector windows was taking 10 mins to boot and after when loaded finally most of the application were showing I/O errors. I've used Seatool Dos and the disk ran fine after that. So a single bad sector does not always means the drive is going to develop more.

Now as for Op's issue he should make sure the HDD/Sata ports are set as IDE mode instead oh AHCI and he is using the most recent version of seatools.
Old 10-08-13   #8
jdn
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
weekend techie

Originally Posted by topgear View Post
Now as for Op's issue he should make sure the HDD/Sata ports are set as IDE mode instead oh AHCI and he is using the most recent version of seatools.
I am using v2.23, will try again in ide mode.
Old 10-08-13   #9
teh geeK!
[E]onian

I am using v2.23, will try again in ide mode.
Try it mate...Hope you got some good result....
Old 10-08-13   #10
jdn
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
weekend techie

Sector Fixed. Thanks guys.
Old 10-08-13   #11
teh geeK!
[E]onian

Sector Fixed. Thanks guys.
Please do some explain over here..So we know....PLEASE mate.
Old 10-08-13   #12
jdn
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
weekend techie

Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Please do some explain over here..So we know....PLEASE mate.
I edited the first post already, plz check it.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Tell me if it is not detailed.
Old 10-08-13   #13
teh geeK!
[E]onian

I edited the first post already, plz check it.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Tell me if it is not detailed.
Well it will be very useful for some noobs.... Awesome work done by you....Take care my mate..Enjoy for your victory over bad sector...Cheers
Old 10-08-13   #14
jdn
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
weekend techie

@Timon , Thanks &
Old 10-08-13   #15
teh priesT!
[E]onian

topgear is Notable

nice to know that the problem has been fixed now.
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply