Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Buying Help > PC Buying Help
Register Forgot Password?

Old 15-03-12   #1
Cat in the rat race
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Incognito

adminabuse Silverstone Cabinets - Worthy Buy in India?

One of my dreams as a PC builder was to get my hands on a Silverstone Raven or Fortress series cabinets, since they are exceptionally good air cooling cases and remarkably silent. I do love their quirky but effective design on the cases, and from a personal use perspective I can say that the air penetrator fans are nothing short of stellar. They move a lot of air, and are very, very quiet.

The air pushed by the AP's on my carbide 400R can be felt even from 2-3 feet from the case itself. And they hardly make any noise, even at 100%.

Back to the topic, I don't see any store apart from Prime AbGb selling any kind of enthusiast Silverstone cabinets. Furthermore, the pricing on them is a little on the higher side as well

So, wanted to ask you guys what you think before I make my mind about saving up for one of these cases.

There are 3 cases I am considering right now :

1. Fortress FT-02BW
2. Raven RV-02EBW ( this is the Evolution version).
3. Fortress FT-03 (Considering this since I have the perfect motherboard for this, the Gene-Z).

Any suggestions whether they will be worth the money in Indian currency? I know in UK they sell for roughly 140 quids for Raven, and 160 something for Fortress, and Newegg sells the Raven normal one for $149 and the evolution for $189.
ChironX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-12   #2
Xeo
Th[E] Troll
Papa Donger

Xeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply Great
Re: Silverstone Cabinets - Worthy Buy in India?

No.
Considering the importing, shipping charges. You could probably buy a small country with that much money.
GTX580 Twin Frozr II
Silent Pro M700
Tempest 410 Elite
Xeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-12   #3
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed

Sadly this is true - I just inquired about some of them cabbies, and looks like all of them are 15k+ range here.

Wonder why distributors don't keep SS cabinets - they are pricing the cases a lot aggressively than before, and some of their cases after rebates are mighty good value!
Old 20-03-12   #4
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Yawn!!!

antz123 is very Notable

i was looknig for air cooling thus chose silverstone and i am not regretting. their build quality is awesome. plus i prefer aluminum in full towers.
Intel Core I7 920, Gigabyte X 58 USB3, Gskill F3-12800CL7T-6GB, GTX 580 Twin Frozr II , Xonar Essence ST, Klipsch GM X Pro 2.1, Prolimatech Megahalems Mega Shadow, OCZ Vertex 2 50GB SSD & 2x1TB & 3x1tbExt, Corsair HX 850, Samsung PX2370 LED , Silverstone FT02, Microsoft Sidewinder X6, Cybor R.A.T. 7, Steelseries 7H Headset, WD TV Live
antz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-12   #5
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

JD666 is highly ProminentJD666 is highly ProminentJD666 is highly Prominent

Interested to know more about the AP fans.. Can you please link me to some info??
JD666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-12   #6
teh zeuS!

Rig Gallery

mav2000 is extemely Distinguished
mav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguished

^^^its all over the place...anyway just search for Silverstone Air penetrator and you will find a lot of info.

They are good for cabinets, not so great for radiators.

Anyway @OP, man, I wish we got the TJ 07 here, thats like my dream case...
Old 20-03-12   #7
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed

Originally Posted by antz123 View Post
i was looknig for air cooling thus chose silverstone and i am not regretting. their build quality is awesome. plus i prefer aluminum in full towers.

Hey bro, how much did the Fortress FT02 cost you? It's almost the same as RV02 right? Secondly, I have read some very good reviews about Raven RV03 and some of them say that it had addressed some of the shortcomings of the RV02/FT02 series. Which would be a good buy amongst them?

Secondly, I have read that not all power supplies fit the RV03. I have a Corsair HX750 PSU and am worried before I commit on anything.

Third, what kind of temps are you getting?

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Originally Posted by JD666 View Post
Interested to know more about the AP fans.. Can you please link me to some info??
Check in theitdepot, they have them for sale at the moment. I bought 2 of them for the top exhaust for my Carbide, and they are working pretty good. They are not that good for RADs cuz they don't have much static pressure I guess, a cooler master sickleflow/ Scythe GTs are much better for RAD use. But the APs move a lot of air, and in a columnar fashion so they are brilliant for Cases.
Old 20-03-12   #8
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Yawn!!!

antz123 is very Notable

to be honest Raven is for different tastebuds than Fortress series.

Raven is more funky edgy and FT is more classy stylish in its own way. I dont like golden sides of Raven and plasticy feel of it. FT is solid strong all metal. As for shortcomings of FT02 that have been taken care if RV03 am not aware off. To be frank it has a very strong positive inflow of air.

It has 3 giant fans at base. And the base is like 2-3 inches up so lot of air flows in from there. Exhaust is then back(read top) fan and PSU fan. it has no other slots or grills so hardly any dust goes in.

the three fans below are very cool and silent even at HI air flow. They have filters depending on area you live you just take dust panels out wash them dry them n good to go.

Day i clean my CPU runs at around 43C and GPU idles are around 55C ... Full 2-3 hrs of COD or Skyrim takes the GPU to 76-78C. and I play on high settings and they are back to low 60s or late 50s soon.

And my PC is not in an AC room so i think temps for my config are great. Previously I had ATCS 840 which had mammoth exhaust fans etc but it didnt do the trick.

So if you like style go for Raven , if you want class go for FT02

But only draw back with FT02 is it is pretty compactly made. It can take sli etc easily and 3-4 hdd etc but there would lack of space or clutter if you plan to go Liquid cooling anytime in future. I dont see going to Liquid cooling in near future so this made sense to me.

plus i live in Mumbai and best of the steel cases got rusted so i wanted something in Aluminum.

in FT02 HX850 Corsair fits nicely, so am not aware of Raven as that style didnt make me explore about it at all. Google it you should come to know. Price I can tell you once i reach home am not sure was close to 13-14 i think.

Rest if you want me to click some snaps of a live system rather than stylish pics from net let me know would post them.

oh yes it only has USB front slots if you want ESATA sorts in front thought would let you know. Also ..you can only install power supplies up to 7.1” (180 mm) deep in Raven RV03
Free Radical likes this.

Last edited by antz123; 20-03-12 at 03:49 PM. Reason: adding
Old 20-03-12   #9
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

@antz123, thanks a ton man, yes please post some pics of your rig. Do you have the windowed version?

You bought it from Primeabgb right? Third, what version of GTX580 do you have? The normal blower style cooler or the aftermarket versions?
Old 20-03-12   #10
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Currently Working on Project W

NAV33N is highly AdmirableNAV33N is highly AdmirableNAV33N is highly AdmirableNAV33N is highly AdmirableNAV33N is highly AdmirableNAV33N is highly AdmirableNAV33N is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
^^^its all over the place...anyway just search for Silverstone Air penetrator and you will find a lot of info.

They are good for cabinets, not so great for radiators.

Anyway @OP, man, I wish we got the TJ 07 here, thats like my dream case...
i was just about to say the same,love the TJ07.
PS - there's a common reason why we both love that case in particular
NAV33N is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-12   #11
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Yawn!!!

antz123 is very Notable

Give me a bit time if i get late at work might not post today but would post them soon. Please dont comment on wire management n stuff

GTX 580 i have MSI Twin Frozr II OC, so Twin Frozr is installed on it. And no i prefer no windows plain clean looking case. that way my reason for ATCS 840, yup got from Prime
Old 20-03-12   #12
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

Originally Posted by antz123 View Post
Give me a bit time if i get late at work might not post today but would post them soon. Please dont comment on wire management n stuff

GTX 580 i have MSI Twin Frozr II OC, so Twin Frozr is installed on it. And no i prefer no windows plain clean looking case. that way my reason for ATCS 840, yup got from Prime
Hahaha, okay, no comments on wire management, but do post the pics. I am to decide on it anyhow

I was checking since Silverstone states that the FT02 works best with propietory coolers in GPUs rather than aftermarket ones, and I have a GPU with aftermarket cooler installed, so was kinda skeptical as to how well it'd work

Thanks for the assurance..

NAO TIME FOR LE PIX!!
Old 22-03-12   #13
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Yawn!!!

antz123 is very Notable

Some images of the cabinet.

Some Images of inside of cabinet. Then without cover on top, the backpanel how it stacks up and then how it goes with the cover.

Also all wires come out from a slot neatly on back side.

Inside images you can see the size of fans on bottom, there are three huge fans. plus in second image you can see how big is the groove at base of panel to take in air. all fans have hi & low setting. However even at total high it isnt a big issue

plus the temps, also the temps are not with cabinet open. its all closed n operating temps.
Attached Thumbnails
>img_20120322_214947.jpg   >img_20120322_215319.jpg   >img_20120322_221221.jpg   >img_20120322_221322.jpg   >img_20120322_221357.jpg  

>img_20120322_221440.jpg  
Old 23-03-12   #14
teh zeuS!

Rig Gallery

mav2000 is extemely Distinguished
mav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguished

Antz...if you dont remove those pics I will Ban you man....my eyes hurt...
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-12   #15
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Yawn!!!

antz123 is very Notable

hehe sorry man too lazy to get wires sorted
Post New Thread  Reply