Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Buying Help > Gadgets & Consumer Electronics Buying Advice
Register Forgot Password?

Old 09-05-12   #16
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

Re: LED from India or Abroad ?

This v mentioned below.
Originally Posted by RajaPraveen View Post
Why spend so much on a 46 "LCD tv when you can get a 50" Full HD 3D ready plasma for that same amount of money.

It is a known factor that EDGE LED lit LCD are pathetic for 3D and have average Color accuracy, also they will have back light bleeding and uniformity issue.The only LCD that has decent 3D are the ones from LG.

I am not sure about the newer Sony & Samsung LCD's but the 55" ex720 that we have has strictly mediocre 3D picture quality so choose wisely.

HDTV Reviews - Television, LCD, LED, Plasma Free Expert buying guide and ratings - TelevisionInfo.com

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-12   #17
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
trolling around

baba doga is Notable

is this purchase urgent? you might see 2012 plasmas from panny coming in. I can say that the lowest 2012 model will be better than the toshiba i posted. and no, there are no other 'led' options in your budget.quite a few very good ones, if you consider plasmas though.
baba doga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-12   #18
teh priesT!
[E]onian
C ya in hell

coolcatric is highly Admirablecoolcatric is highly Admirablecoolcatric is highly Admirablecoolcatric is highly Admirablecoolcatric is highly Admirablecoolcatric is highly Admirablecoolcatric is highly Admirable

Why spend so much on a 46 "LCD tv when you can get a 50" Full HD 3D ready plasma for that same amount of money.

It is a known factor that EDGE LED lit LCD are pathetic for 3D and have average Color accuracy, also they will have back light bleeding and uniformity issue.The only LCD that has decent 3D are the ones from LG.

I am not sure about the newer Sony & Samsung LCD's but the 55" ex720 that we have has strictly mediocre 3D picture quality so choose wisely.

HDTV Reviews - Television, LCD, LED, Plasma Free Expert buying guide and ratings - TelevisionInfo.com
Originally Posted by baba doga View Post
is this purchase urgent? you might see 2012 plasmas from panny coming in. I can say that the lowest 2012 model will be better than the toshiba i posted. and no, there are no other 'led' options in your budget.quite a few very good ones, if you consider plasmas though.

I read a lot on LCD vs LED vs Plasma.

Conclusion - The problems with plasma such as more weight, problems with high altitude, black spot/dead pixel/burn outs/reflective screen are things of past. But if the room is well lit and there is light source dead opposite to place where i will place my HDTV, then plasma would create trouble. That's why i prefer LED.

However, primarily this HDTV would be used by my dad at NIGHT time to watch 1080p movies via HDD (already got 1) or media player (yet to buy).

My dad somehow has this soft corner for LED, could be because of high marketing & attractive PQ /bright picture in showrooms.

@RajaPraveen thanks a lot for your inputs. What are your views on above mentioned case & buying HDTV from Dubai/USA/Singapore/Thailand ?

@baba doga What all other models should i look at ? Would like to purchase within 3-4 weeks time.
Old 09-05-12   #19
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
trolling around

baba doga is Notable

everything else i'd suggest is plasma. hence no point.
Old 10-05-12   #20
Jeebus
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
forgiving your sins

RajaPraveen is extemely Distinguished
RajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely Distinguished

Originally Posted by coolcatric View Post
I read a lot on LCD vs LED vs Plasma.
Conclusion - The problems with plasma such as more weight, problems with high altitude, black spot/dead pixel/burn outs/reflective screen are things of past. But if the room is well lit and there is light source dead opposite to place where i will place my HDTV, then plasma would create trouble.
None of these problems exist with any modern plasma. I have both plasma and LCD and i feel the pic on the plasma looks more naturally brighter while in LCD (false LED) it looks like there is additional white light over the entire panel making the actual pic content not that bright.

Most 50" plasma's weigh around 20 KGs and that is not heavy at all.

High altitude issue is a problem if you live in the Himalayas or may be Nepal or Tibet.

Pixel burn out is an issue with all displays but it is not visible in LCD because the back lighting covers it up, once the back lighting looses its brightness and becomes uneven you will notice pixel burn in LCD as well. In modern plasma they apply some kind of coating so the pixel burn cannot be seen and the screen also can be very less reflective.

The other day i was watching "pirates of Caribbean at the worlds end" in kuro 600m, trust me it is not just the natural blacks but the colors the sheer clarity and depth because of the absence of useless back lighting provided a breath taking image. this brilliant picture quality made me watch a movie like pirates of Caribbean that i don't like one bit for the whole 2 hours.

I have seen LCD's costing around 3 to 4 lakhs from Sony,Sharp,Samsung and what not and i have not experienced half of what i saw on that kuro 600m in any lighting condition.

Also in plasma you actual plasma generates the pixels but in an LED LCD the LCD panel has the pixels and not the LED back lighting so it is technically wrong to call an LCD as LED, only OLED can be termed as LED as it uses LED to generate the pixels.

However, primarily this HDTV would be used by my dad at NIGHT time to watch 1080p movies via HDD (already got 1) or media player (yet to buy).
For this purpose Plasma is the perfect choice, LCD is a pain to watch for me in dark due to excess back light brightness,it hurts my eyes.

My dad somehow has this soft corner for LED, could be because of high marketing & attractive PQ /bright picture in showrooms.

@RajaPraveen thanks a lot for your inputs. What are your views on above mentioned case & buying HDTV from Dubai/USA/Singapore/Thailand ?
Show room picture quality is completed different from what picture a television produces in your living room.

I don't want to derail this thread and i see that you have an affection for LCD so if you like so much then go for it, i don't see any problems in buying a TV from Dubai, Malaysia, Thailand or Singapore but i am not sure about USA.

Only issue is with the warranty so unless a particular brand offers 3 years or 5 years replacement warranty here in India i don't see any huge advantage paying premium and buying here locally.Most HDTV's don't create problems in the initial one or two years that easily,
ManISinJpr likes this.

RajaPraveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-12   #21
teh priesT!
[E]onian
C ya in hell

coolcatric is highly Admirablecoolcatric is highly Admirablecoolcatric is highly Admirablecoolcatric is highly Admirablecoolcatric is highly Admirablecoolcatric is highly Admirablecoolcatric is highly Admirable

None of these problems exist with any modern plasma. I have both plasma and LCD and i feel the pic on the plasma looks more naturally brighter while in LCD (false LED) it looks like there is additional white light over the entire panel making the actual pic content not that bright.

Most 50" plasma's weigh around 20 KGs and that is not heavy at all.

High altitude issue is a problem if you live in the Himalayas or may be Nepal or Tibet.

Pixel burn out is an issue with all displays but it is not visible in LCD because the back lighting covers it up, once the back lighting looses its brightness and becomes uneven you will notice pixel burn in LCD as well. In modern plasma they apply some kind of coating so the pixel burn cannot be seen and the screen also can be very less reflective.

The other day i was watching "pirates of Caribbean at the worlds end" in kuro 600m, trust me it is not just the natural blacks but the colors the sheer clarity and depth because of the absence of useless back lighting provided a breath taking image. this brilliant picture quality made me watch a movie like pirates of Caribbean that i don't like one bit for the whole 2 hours.

I have seen LCD's costing around 3 to 4 lakhs from Sony,Sharp,Samsung and what not and i have not experienced half of what i saw on that kuro 600m in any lighting condition.

Also in plasma you actual plasma generates the pixels but in an LED LCD the LCD panel has the pixels and not the LED back lighting so it is technically wrong to call an LCD as LED, only OLED can be termed as LED as it uses LED to generate the pixels.

For this purpose Plasma is the perfect choice, LCD is a pain to watch for me in dark due to excess back light brightness,it hurts my eyes.

Show room picture quality is completed different from what picture a television produces in your living room.

I don't want to derail this thread and i see that you have an affection for LCD so if you like so much then go for it, i don't see any problems in buying a TV from Dubai, Malaysia, Thailand or Singapore but i am not sure about USA.

Only issue is with the warranty so unless a particular brand offers 3 years or 5 years replacement warranty here in India i don't see any huge advantage paying premium and buying here locally.Most HDTV's don't create problems in the initial one or two years that easily,
Few questions -

1. Difference between 2011 & 2012 models ( LED & Plasma both)
2. What all models to look for in Plasma as well as LED ? 46" or 50" in case of plasma. With 3D
3. I know a guy at Reliance digital, said sometimes they have HDTV which they can sell at 30-40% discount, will contact him and ask which model currently at high discounts ?
coolcatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-12   #22
Jeebus
forgiving your sins

RajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely Distinguished

Few questions -

1. Difference between 2011 & 2012 models ( LED & Plasma both)
2. What all models to look for in Plasma as well as LED ? 46" or 50" in case of plasma. With 3D
3. I know a guy at Reliance digital, said sometimes they have HDTV which they can sell at 30-40% discount, will contact him and ask which model currently at high discounts ?

1, not much AFAIK, HDTV's have become more energy efficient in 2012 , plasma's have become more brighter and thinner with even better 3D and picture processing. LCD's get better motion processing and marginally better 3D, companies like samsung bring in many smart tv features and dual core processors with their flag ship televisions.Lower and mid range plasma and LCD's in terms of pic quality have become marginally better.

2, In your budget i would recommend the samsung 50" D550 if it is still available other wise the E550 plasma, Panasonic's equivalent to E550 is much more expensive and apart from slightly better blacks it does not do anything better than samsung. In terms of LCD i think 5,6 series samsung, 5,7 series Sony are good. The IPS based Panasonic(D and E series) and LG(5 and 6 series) are also great choices.
ManISinJpr and coolcatric like this.
Old 10-05-12   #23
teh priesT!
[E]onian
C ya in hell

Done, thank you. Let me make up my mind. Plasma or LED.. Will try talking to dad as well, though i wanted to give him a surprise !

Lets wait for @Luciffer to comment as well.

In the mean time, i ll look for models in my budget & check with my guy at reliance digital for any good deals.

Will update.

Thanks again.
Old 11-05-12   #24
teh priesT!
[E]onian
C ya in hell

Ok, can someone help me with specific model numbers -

Plasma - Samsung D550 or E550

What about other brands ?

LED - You mentioned LG 3D is the best, which model to look for. ?

Also, if i buy from Gurgaon, is it safe to take the same to Udaipur. Or is it better to buy from Udaipur itself ? Does Reliance / Tata / Vijay have any method of couriering the same ?
Old 13-05-12   #25
teh priesT!
[E]onian
C ya in hell

Went to browse around, following deals available -

Samsung D6600 - 89K

Sony EX720 - 85K

Samsung - EH5000 - 46" - 76K

Samsung E550 - 69K ( In udaipur, know Samsung dealer )

@RajaPraveen -

Samsung PN51E550 Review, Plasma HDTV, 51", 3D Ready Smart TV

This review is not that great, request you to help me decide !
Old 13-05-12   #26
Jeebus
forgiving your sins

That review has nothing, considering the fact its priced at 69k for 50" and from what ive seen in the older C and D series i would say the E550 must be a very good tv and great bargain.

Even if you go by the review, it says :

The PN51E550 is absent the new All Black Pure Filter so it sacrifices a bit of contrast over the top tier Samsung plasmas but it still has Samsung's better picture quality technologies from last year which measured excellently well with us. What you get with the E550 is a good picture with a little more motion artifacting and graininess but at a value price for a 3D, 1080p plasma television from Samsung.

Even without the All Black Pure Filter the PN51E550 has good black levels and contrast. Dark shadow detail is a strong point on all Samsung plasmas, in dark scenes you will not miss small details due to over powered black levels like you will in many of today's LCD and LED televisions.

The colors on the 51E550 plasma look extremely realistic. In an age where many televisions are pushing color saturation over the edge, Samsung's plasma televisions continue to deliver warm and cool colors you see every day in life as well as excellent flesh tones that do not push red or blue.

The 51E550 has two pairs of Samsung's new and improved 3D glasses. The light weight glasses are far more comfortable and considerably less bulky than many active 3D glasses. The 3D performance on the PN51E550 is improved over previous years. There is plenty of depth in the highly detailed picture and there is less crosstalk an blurring when compared to older models

Looks like it is all good.
coolcatric likes this.
Old 13-05-12   #27
teh priesT!
[E]onian
C ya in hell

The PN51E550 is absent the new All Black Pure Filter so it sacrifices a bit of contrast
Will this matter ?

---------- Post added at 01:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

Also, is there anyway to get extended warranty on Samsung Plasma?
Old 13-05-12   #28
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
trolling around

baba doga is Notable

no. there is no ext warranty on sammy products.
Old 13-05-12   #29
teh priesT!
[E]onian
C ya in hell

Originally Posted by baba doga View Post
no. there is no ext warranty on sammy products.
Then i suppose it is better buy from Abroad. But is do the maths, then -

Cost 50K

Tax (35% on 15k) = 5250

Extra Weight & Handling charges - 2-3k

Warranty - Nil

It would cost me around 58K. Saving of 11K...

Is the above right ?

Which panny model to look for in this range ?
Old 13-05-12   #30
Jeebus
forgiving your sins

Plasma is not advisable to be bought from abroad because it is glass and has greater risk of damage in transit. The comparable model for the E550 in Panasonic is the UT and ST series and that's quite expensive.

Samsung at least for me has been excellent in terms of warranty support, their policy to me was either replace of refund.
Post New Thread  Reply