Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Electronics and Consumer Durables > Electronics and Consumer Durables
Register Forgot Password?

Old 13-07-07   #1
teh priesT!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Shocking! IPod Plus Lightning Equals Trouble

Shocking! IPod Plus Lightning Equals Trouble

Doctors warn that injuries are more severe when lightning strikes an iPod user.

Doctors writing in the New England Journal of Medicine today warned that using a portable music player such as an Apple Inc. iPod outdoors when lightning threatens can be dangerous.

Physicians at Vancouver General Hospital in Vancouver, British Columbia, cited a 2005 incident where a 35-year-old man was brought into the emergency ward after being struck by lightning while jogging as he listened to his iPod. Along with second-degree burns on his chest and left leg, the man had two burns along the front of this chest and neck, then to the sides of his face.

The burns, said the doctors, "correspond[ed] to the positions of his earphones at the time of the lightning strike." Both of the man's eardrums were ruptured, they added, and his jaw was fractured.

Although the doctors didn't blame the iPod for attracting the lightning -- which actually struck a tree, then jumped to the nearby man in what's dubbed "side flash" -- they did say it contributed to his injuries. "Although the use of a device such as an iPod may not increase the chances of being struck by lightning, in this case, the combination of sweat and metal earphones directed the current to, and through, the patient's head," they claimed.

In addition to his ruptured eardrums -- common in lightning strikes -- the victim also suffered dislocation of his ossicles, tiny bones in the middle ear; ossicle dislocation is rare, the doctors said. The jaw injury was likely caused by muscle contraction as the current passed through the man's face. Two years after the accident, the man has about a 50 percent hearing loss in both ears, and wears hearing aids.

He wasn't the first to suffer injuries specific to an iPod. Just over a year ago, Jason Bunch, then 17, was mowing a lawn in Castle Rock, Colo. when he was struck by lightning. He, too, was listening to music with an iPod. According to the Denver Post, Bunch's injuries included hearing loss and burns that traced the headphone cord down his right side to his hip, where he had been carrying the iPod.

Bunch was listening to the band Metallica when he was hit. Ironically, the heavy metal band's second album, released in 1984, was titled "Ride The Lightning."

Source: PCWorld

Last edited by Dark Star; 14-07-07 at 09:48 AM.
hardware_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-07   #2
teh nuB!

Freaky is Mysterious
Re: Shocking! IPod Plus Lightning Equals Trouble

This came in last week's Hindu as well. Not just the iPod, doctors advise against the use of any portable electronic devices outdoors during a storm or when there's lightning. One of the earliest victims of such a strike is supposed to have started a website as well - www.struckbylightning.org - IIRC.
Freaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-07   #3
Addict......
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r

HailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly Admirable

But I read somewhere that a dude was saved from lightening when he was walking down the road & was struck by it... He was wearing an IPod which saved him... the current passed through the earphone cable to the HDD & fried it saving the dude's life.....

How about that....
HailStonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-07   #4
Lead Lead
Administrator
12 years a admin!

Rig Gallery

KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!
KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!

Originally Posted by racy1 View Post
But I read somewhere that a dude was saved from lightening when he was walking down the road & was struck by it... He was wearing an IPod which saved him... the current passed through the earphone cable to the HDD & fried it saving the dude's life.....

How about that....
You sure you want to put your life in the hands of a Ipod Well if you gonna, then make sure its not a Shuffle... not HDD, no life saved

KiD0M4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-07   #5
teh nuB!

hmasalia is Mysterious

^^
Lol!
hmasalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-07   #6
Shock-N-Awe™
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r

NashX is highly AdmirableNashX is highly AdmirableNashX is highly AdmirableNashX is highly AdmirableNashX is highly AdmirableNashX is highly Admirable

The min the Rains come i shut dwn my PC -TV-Fans..and i do not use my phone
NashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-07   #7
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
ill be back to see you in the

sierrafox is Mysterious

Originally Posted by Freaky View Post
This came in last week's Hindu as well. Not just the iPod, doctors advise against the use of any portable electronic devices outdoors during a storm or when there's lightning. One of the earliest victims of such a strike is supposed to have started a website as well - www.struckbylightning.org - IIRC.

thats correct. Its not only an ipod. Even your cellphone is a concentrated mass of electric potential in a rain storm, enough to attract some strong impulse.

sierrafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply