Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Software Zone > Networking and Security
Register Forgot Password?

Old 26-03-09   #1
teh priesT!
[E]onian
<^.^>

Sharing Internet

I've been wanting to share a single internet connection between my dad's system and mine. He hardly ever uses the net and so feels it a bit of waste to subscribe for a separate connection.

I currently use Airtel at home with the default Beetel 220BX and was wondering how to split the connection in such a way that we could use the net at the same time or when either one of our comps are turned off.

I'm open to both wired and wireless solutions, although keeping costs low would be great but not a priority.

What would be the best way to get this done??

OLD: JH13 Pro + Sennheiser HD 25-13 II - 600 Ohm (German made) w/DHC copper balanced + TF10Vi + RE-1 + MMDT + FA011 + MS-1 + EHHA + HRT MSII + RSA Mustang & Protector + Grado RS2 Vintage Moon Audio balanced
Ritvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-09   #2
iGr8
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I havent set my status yet.

abthegreat is highly Admirableabthegreat is highly Admirableabthegreat is highly Admirableabthegreat is highly Admirableabthegreat is highly Admirableabthegreat is highly Admirable
Re: Sharing Internet

Buy a wireless router if one of you is using a laptop or just buy a 4 port switch and set your modem to use DHCP and you are done

just connect your switch to the lan port on the modem and then connect your pc's to the switch via a lan cable
also wifi would make sense if you wanna access internet without any cables or with other portable devices
abthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-09   #3
teh priesT!
[E]onian
DDR2 RAM TRUE120E Q6600B3 for

tushar is highly Admirabletushar is highly Admirabletushar is highly Admirabletushar is highly Admirabletushar is highly Admirabletushar is highly Admirable

good idea buy simple D-Link Switch thats it
tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-09   #4
teh priesT!
[E]onian
<^.^>

Ritvik is highly AdmirableRitvik is highly AdmirableRitvik is highly AdmirableRitvik is highly AdmirableRitvik is highly AdmirableRitvik is highly AdmirableRitvik is highly Admirable

The two systems in question are both desktops. Was leaning towards wifi cause my sister comes home every now and then and uses her laptop when she's here.

So that would mean adding two wifi capable cards, using some sort of usb receiver/adapter or setting up a wireless bridge wouldn't it? In addition to a router...
Old 26-03-09   #5
iGr8

abthegreat is highly Admirableabthegreat is highly Admirableabthegreat is highly Admirableabthegreat is highly Admirableabthegreat is highly Admirableabthegreat is highly Admirable

dude wireless routers on addition to the wireless feature have atleast 4 ethernet ports so unless you wanna use wifi on yer desktops which you wont you can use the cable with your wifi router
wifi router has 4 ethernet ports on any basic model and also features connect as many as you want wifi devices

heres a pic
Old 27-03-09   #6
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
trolling around

baba doga is Notable

yes, get a wi-fi router with 4 lan ports.your current and future requirements will be met
baba doga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-09   #7
teh priesT!
[E]onian
<^.^>

Ritvik is highly AdmirableRitvik is highly AdmirableRitvik is highly AdmirableRitvik is highly AdmirableRitvik is highly AdmirableRitvik is highly AdmirableRitvik is highly Admirable

Right, any suggestions for a router? Something that should be available locally.

Considering my Dad's room is about 60 feet or so away from mine and I buy a router like you guys mentioned ...what else would i need if i want to run a wire free setup?

Noob question no. 3 ..... Is there any way to password protect the network. Say to prevent some random person sitting outside a window from accessing the network
Old 27-03-09   #8
iGr8

if you wont both to be wireless you will need PCI wifi cards for each PC they cost around 800bux
and for safety you can assign a WEP key or a WPA/WPA2 key so that only person with the key will get access to your internet

WRT54G would be a good router for around 2500 bux
Old 27-03-09   #9
teh priesT!
[E]onian
DDR2 RAM TRUE120E Q6600B3 for

tushar is highly Admirabletushar is highly Admirabletushar is highly Admirabletushar is highly Admirabletushar is highly Admirabletushar is highly Admirable

one more WRT300N Rs.5,500 worth which i am using
tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-09   #10
iGr8

I guess the one you are using is Draft N right??
Old 28-03-09   #11
teh priesT!
[E]onian
<^.^>

Thanks for the replies.

I tried using a Linksys WRT54G2 v1 router today paired with a D-Link DWA-510 Wireless G Adapter. The regular WRT54G weren't stock.

I managed to get it working just fine in the same room as the router. But, just one room away and it saw a drastic drop in signals.

Should I consider returning one or both of the products and trying something else. Maybe a router with an external antenna? Tried a firmware update but that didn't do any good
Old 29-03-09   #12
teh priesT!
[E]onian
<^.^>

Bump! Any suggestions would be of help. Doubt its the router, should I consider getting a different PCI wireless G card?
Old 29-03-09   #13
iGr8

Check you router settings you can enable direction spread incase your router is not in the center of the two computers you can enable left or right spread so that you get greater range in one particular direction

otherwise try getting a PCI wireless NIC which has external antenna that you could place on yer table or at a high place
Post New Thread  Reply