Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Laptops and Netbooks
Register Forgot Password?

Old 11-05-13   #1
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

Exclamation Serious Challenge and Thus Solution Needed for Acer Travelmate 251LC

Hello !!

I have had a laptop bought very early in the previous decade.. must be around 9 to 10 years now.

It is acer travelmate 251LC, it was working fine till some time ago and was being used for small purposes.

Now the problem, It is not booting into Windows now ( windows XP Home ) licensed version updated to service pack and all..

Now I wanted to see if there was a problem with hdd so tried booting into safe mode, that also is not working.. it reboots itself.

I wanted to install other XP version on it, so went into BIOS, Shitty !! thing is the bios is password protected and I have forgotten and can't find where the manuals etc are or I would have reset the jumpers and made the password go away.

I can't find its dismantling or repair guide too, so help me and analyze, let this be a challenge for all !

Thanks in advance.

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13   #2
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Blogging & Internt Marketi

roadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirable
Re: Serious Challenge and Thus Solution Needed for Acer Travelmate 251LC

remove the bios and insert in after 15 mins or so .. did that work ? find the online manual pin diagram for ur laptop model no from acer site..
Old 11-05-13   #3
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

I told in the thread, I haven't got the disassembling guide !! so even though I know the jumper is below the keyboard, I can't do it until certain.
Find me a repair guide if you can.
Originally Posted by roadrippersid View Post
remove the bios and insert in after 15 mins or so .. did that work ? find the online manual pin diagram for ur laptop model no from acer site..
Old 11-05-13   #4
teh geeK!
[E]onian

roadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirable

did u try the bios thingy .. normally the cmos battery shud reset

might help

roadrippersid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13   #5
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

^^ Nice share I saw it already, but this is a different model, so the sequencing of opening the keyboard and maybe the location of the battery might also be different..
Can't take chances..
have to find the repair manual for 251 LC only
Old 11-05-13   #6
teh geeK!
[E]onian

am guessing travelmate series shud have similar layout structure but i am not sure so shared it .. couldnt find the manual ;(
ManISinJpr likes this.
roadrippersid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13   #7
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

^^ Don't you feel sad... you are trying, that is more important than anything...

If more people get into this we might find it buried in some old archives..
Old 11-05-13   #8
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Pro Indian Modder

dedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Famed

dismantling is pretty straight forward. just be patient and try not to use brute force.

take pictures now and then, and dont forget to label screws and where they go.
and it does sound like a bad hard drive.

i dismantled my first laptop without knowing anything. lol.
Old 11-05-13   #9
dattebayo!
Community Moderator
Kaizoku Ou Ni Ore Wa Naru

Rig Gallery

Prash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly Famed

It might be a hdd issue, but it might not have failed completely. Did you try any other modes after safemode? dos-networking / dos only? If anyone of them open up, you should do a checkdisk (which might make the system bootable temporarily).

Or create a bootable disk using Seatools or similar tool from WD and give it a run, and see if the disk has problems. It may not fix the corrupt system file though.

+ If you still have the old OS disk, boot and try a repair - might fix the corrupt system file (provided it is corrupt). Once on windows, the usual checkdisk + a tool like cmos deanimator to force reset the bios.

Guide to write an Article at [E]
(And win prizes !)

"Well done is better than well said"

Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13   #10
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

I have many bootable cd's mate, but the boot order in BIOS is HDD first so that scenario doesn't get running, I would check it but the windows boots each time and then the system restarts again.. without fail, so unless I get in the BIOS I am practically sitting out of the settings and diagnostics.
Originally Posted by Prash ♦ View Post
Or create a bootable disk using Seatools or similar tool from WD and give it a run, and see if the disk has problems. It may not fix the corrupt system file though.

I can dismantle it, but the matching sequence is needed.. I want to know the layout so that I can make it.. work.
Originally Posted by dedasdude View Post
i dismantled my first laptop without knowing anything. lol.
Old 11-05-13   #11
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Pro Indian Modder

dedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Famed

press F8 after restart. or try with F11

that makes it goto the boot selection screen usually.
dedasdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13   #12
dattebayo!
Community Moderator
Kaizoku Ou Ni Ore Wa Naru

Rig Gallery

Prash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly Famed

that makes it goto the boot selection screen usually.
+1 - on the fly boot-from selection. I wonder if it was present in systems as old as yours though.
In one of my desktops, F9 gives me this option.
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13   #13
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

Thanks for your suggestions !! it really pays to ask for help and now this new idea is starting to shape.
Now I have used F8 too but not the other keys..
This can work !!! lets see 2moro morning.
If it does then or more heartaches..
If only I could open it once and clean the innards too, the cpufan and other systems too..
Originally Posted by Prash ♦ View Post
+1 - on the fly boot-from selection. I wonder if it was present in systems as old as yours though.
Old 11-05-13   #14
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Pro Indian Modder

feel free to try all the function keys XD

sometimes the key for entering bios also works after its past POST.
csunit37 likes this.
dedasdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-13   #15
teh geeK!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I havent set my status yet.

kartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirable

any update?

i think your laptop wont boot from usb if yes then use usb bootable drive (XP or linux)
kartikoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply