Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Electronics and Consumer Durables > Mobile Phones
Register Forgot Password?

Old 25-08-12   #16
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
Re: Samsung Given GUILTY Verdict Against Apple, Has to Pay Atleast $1.05 Billion As F

Originally Posted by Ad1tya View Post
Let's say you made a one of a kind software and wanted to sell it; Instead others copied it and sold theirs for millions, you wouldn't be pissed? You wouldn't want your IP to be protected?
It is not the software but whole ideas that they claim to have patented such as rectangle shapes with rounded corners. But leave that aside for a moment and imagine how the web would be if people started patenting website ideas. What kind of a place would the internet have been if such things were enforced.

BTW .. I wonder if I could have patented some of the forum features that we had exclusively on Erodov earlier. I've noticed a lot of Indian forums lifting ideas straight out of here.
Old 25-08-12   #17
Cyanogenmod 6.0-N1
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
work, work and more work :(

Rig Gallery

blufox is extremely Renowned
blufox is extremely Renownedblufox is extremely Renownedblufox is extremely Renownedblufox is extremely Renownedblufox is extremely Renowned
Re: Samsung Given GUILTY Verdict Against Apple, Has to Pay Atleast $1.05 Billion As F

Let's say you made a one of a kind software and wanted to sell it; Instead others copied it and sold theirs for millions, you wouldn't be pissed? You wouldn't want your IP to be protected?
You patent technique to do things not end products.
e.g You cannot patent a car engine per se but you can patent how gas is injected to chamber during intake, provided it is not at a very basic generic level.

Similarly you can patent how you display your icons but you should not get a patent on icons. That is plain stupidity.

Unfortunately software is not as straightforward as mechanical devices and hence you find all kind of stupid patents in software industry.

Another example, you can patent a new technique to sort a input you cannot actually patent sorting because it is too generic.

No wonder, people consider America'a patent system retarded and a hindrance to innovation and competition.

/Steve Wozniak
blufox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-12   #18
Jeebus
forgiving your sins

RajaPraveen is extemely Distinguished
RajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely Distinguished

I never knew mobile OS is one of a kind and it belonged to apple the inventor.

If we speak in that context then apple's success is mostly due to due to GUI, which it stole from xerox like Steve Jobs admits in that video. I wonder how many billions of dollars apple has paid xerox form the billions of dollars it made all on the basis of GUI.

I still believe this a game which apple and samsung are playing for publicity, now we have a sudden twist in the story and everyone will be speaking apple and samsung, there is very little chance this could be reality but if it is then apple will loose more than samsung.

RajaPraveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-12   #19
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

rbanka is Mysterious

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr ♦ View Post
It is not the money, Samsung can pay that, but the image is suffering and that is a bad thing. !
u seriously think money i.e 3b is nothing for Samsung dude it will hurt to the stake holders and it will affect the co a lot than u can imagine.
rbanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-12   #20
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by rbanka View Post
u seriously think money i.e 3b is nothing for Samsung dude it will hurt to the stake holders and it will affect the co a lot than u can imagine.
I agree .. Rs 1650 crore is a lot of money.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-12   #21
teh nuB!

rbanka is Mysterious

Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
the samsung mobile division had a net profit of arnd 3.7b in 2012 Q2 so thats like a Zero Profit for 1Q.
rbanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-12   #22
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

rdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputable
I dont know how much of this is true but read this on some other forum -

I don't really think a large scale ban will occur. There are still appeals to go through. This case is far from over. A large scale ban will also set a nasty precedent if Google wins the lawsuit they just filed that involves every single Iphone (including the 5), every Ipod, macbook...basically every apple product on the market. The Google lawsuit focuses on 3G and WiFi connectivity. If Apple can patent a shape, surely those patents will hold up.
Also, about 6 weeks ago, a group of Senators sent the ITC a letter stating that they don't really have the right or authority to ban the import of products for patent violations filed under standard essential laws. Meaning that negotiations have to be made to license the patent, and if an agreement cannot be made, a court has to decide the amount for the companies. All of Apples patents are filed under standard essential. The lawsuit involving Google's patents are not filed as standard essential, so Google's case seems much stronger on paper than Apple's and has a better chance of having a ban imposed.
Techie#1 and Kakarott like this.
rdst_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-12   #23
iEvangelist
GET PEBBLE.

Rig Gallery

Ad1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply Great

Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
I dont know how much of this is true but read this on some other forum -

I don't really think a large scale ban will occur. There are still appeals to go through. This case is far from over. A large scale ban will also set a nasty precedent if Google wins the lawsuit they just filed that involves every single Iphone (including the 5), every Ipod, macbook...basically every apple product on the market. The Google lawsuit focuses on 3G and WiFi connectivity. If Apple can patent a shape, surely those patents will hold up.
Also, about 6 weeks ago, a group of Senators sent the ITC a letter stating that they don't really have the right or authority to ban the import of products for patent violations filed under standard essential laws. Meaning that negotiations have to be made to license the patent, and if an agreement cannot be made, a court has to decide the amount for the companies. All of Apples patents are filed under standard essential. The lawsuit involving Google's patents are not filed as standard essential, so Google's case seems much stronger on paper than Apple's and has a better chance of having a ban imposed.
You need to be banned for calling the upcoming iPhone, the "5".
Misc : Playstation 3, Xbox 360, iPhone 5, Nexus 4, iPad (3rd gen) 32GB.
Ad1tya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-12   #24
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

Where does it say 3Billion?
It is 1 Bilion for now and it may go upto 3 but the legal experts are saying this will not increase.
Originally Posted by rbanka View Post

And where does the 1650 crores come in ? $1.05 billion is around Rs5500 crores.
Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-12   #25
Cyanogenmod 6.0-N1

Rig Gallery

blufox is extremely Renownedblufox is extremely Renownedblufox is extremely Renownedblufox is extremely Renownedblufox is extremely Renowned

I chuckled
Old 26-08-12   #26
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

rdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputable
Are you dumb or what. Read the first line of my post.
wingzero and nvarun like this.
rdst_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-12   #27
Neo[t]
SteelSeries SenSei <3

prateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply Great

Do u think people will stop buying samsung?

do u think people care whether samsung copied apple or vice -versa?

NO.

All the matters is the price.and samsung seems to be winning that war.
Techie#1, nvarun and z3r094 like this.
prateekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-12   #28
teh nuB!
Cukiz nid lub lik3 vr1tng doz!

BonnieNClyde is Mysterious

I don't agree with this verdict. It's one sided and childish to just blame Samsung. Only because it made the most out of doing what it did!
Techie#1 likes this.
BonnieNClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-12   #29
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

Guys PLEASE all of you read this, what the author said is so true and he is US of A !!

https://plus.google.com/114476892281...ts/246srfbqg6G

The irony of a billion dollar lawsuit: it is all good advertising for Samsung | The Verge Forums

Some nice POVs

and this image takes the cake !! Hillarious and disgusting !!

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

And see this too !!! LOLZz

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

And read this interesting view..
#Samsung should review IBM vs Microsoft 20 years ago. IBM sued Microsoft because they pirated the idea of placing a menu (File Edit ....) across the top of the screen for their Excel spreadsheet from IBM's Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet.

The court found that even though IBM did own the intellectual property and Microsoft did infringe IBM's rights, IBM lost their case BECAUSE the idea of having a menu across the top of the screen, even though IBM invented it, had become too common.

Too bad lawyers and judges these days don't know from whence we have come. Allowing Apple to prevail in a lawsuit against #Samsung because they used a "rectangular screen with rounded corners" or "swipe to open" is a clear violation of established precedence.
Techie#1 likes this.
ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-12   #30
Cyanogenmod 6.0-N1

Rig Gallery

I think Apple pissed off Google royally by its patent trolling behavior. Some genius in Google said - "Look Apple people are going to do whatever they can to kill Android directly or indirectly. We better suit up our arsenal so that they cannot to play unfair". So what did they do?

They purchased Motorola Mobility, the grand daddy of telecom patents.

Oh, that is the only reason it acquired Motorola. Incidentally Motorola Mobility is investor in my current company and we know that Google is not interetsted in Motorola's stagnant innovation. All they care is patents.

These patents are enough to keep Apple busy for next few years on how to save its arse.

I would like to see an injunction against sale of Apple products, not because I hate Apple which I do not. But because perhaps this will perhaps start rethought on broken patent system America has. Apple being such a huge success is definitely going to pull strings to get out.

Who is the winner in all this mudslinging contest? We all, the whole of America which is stifled by patent trolls.
ManISinJpr, nvarun and adaneam like this.
Post New Thread  Reply