Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Software Zone > Tip and Tricks :)
Register Forgot Password?

Old 20-09-13   #1
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
alive and kicking

Run WhatsApp on PC

Hey Fellow Tech Junkies! Howde!
Back after a long time, believe me, life has been super busy superimposed with equally difficult hurdles. Glad its over sooner than I thought.

The Synopsis
Androids Devices are the best thing that has happened in recent times. They gave a boost to Chinese devices too which used to come with weird OSes.
With Blackberry going for a toss, I was the one of many who reluctantly shifted to Android, Biggest issue was touch screen over QWERTY. I got a HTC Chacha two years ago. It was a direct replacement to my BB, and when Whatsapp came, BB messenger went directly into coffin. It was a very well thought out phone, with separate GPS antenna, GPS lock was under 30 secs and you did not need any data or sim card to use it. But some dumb-a$$ at HTC thought 150mb internal and 1250mAH battery would be enough. I always had issue with battery and internal memory getting low.

Enter Nexus 7 3g : Then I got myself a Nexus 7 for my emails and communication. Again the idiots at Asus left the front camera and calling facility (hence Whatsapp had to be installed with a juggad). No issue as it was superfast pad, which ever way I abused it it never hanged. Again the biggest issue was touch screen, I got a keyboard, but I hated it. Thats a different issue.

So yesterday I thought how convenient would it be to use Whatsapp on my super-book Dell Latitude. Google Baba came with couple of options. But beware most of the site leads to crap sites that deals in adware and some idiotic surveys.

So here goes a detail workaround. (Comments and Suggestion are welcome)

Stuff required
1. Android Emulator for PC. I used Blue Stack
2. Whatsapp apk. Can be had from official site.
3. Working SIM card on a mobile. Beware Whatsapp on that particular mobile will get deactivated if you use the same number to authenticate on PC. Its obvious isn't it. Don't blame me I didn't tell you.

Procedure

1. Download Blue Stack from the link given below. Do not download from the Official Link on website, It will give Error:25000 in most PCs/laptop that I tested.
http://cdn.bluestacks.com/downloads/....3.766_REL.msi

Its a simple straight forward install. Dont forget to Un-check all three options. They are useless.

2. Download Whatsapp from the official site. (Don't be lazy it)
Double click the .apk, Bluestack will automatically recognize it.

3. Now you will need Contacts right or if you have time you can feed each one manually. Well I have over 1300 so I have to confess, I am LAZY. Export your contact to the sdcard. Now Co'mon you are using android for too long you should know this.

4. Copy that to PC. (location in image below)

5. As some Smart journo said about a century ago "Picture is worth Thousand words" So let they do the talking

This what the Android Emulator Bluestack looks like, IMHO this is best there is.
1-blue-stack-screen.jpg

Manage Contact : Go to Settings(Gear) icon.
2-blue-stack-settings.jpg

Copy your backed up .vcf file to this location. This location act as SD card of Android.
path-contacts.jpg

Click Import export
import-export.jpg

Import from SD card. It will automatically detect the .vcf file kept there.
import-export-2.jpg

If you have multiple .vcf file unlike mine which is a single google export. Here is a simple command prompt and issue following command in same folder location of the multiple vcf files.

copy *.vcf xyz.vcf

where xyz.vcf is the newly created combined vcf file.

Thanks for reading

PS: I wanted to my articles/tutorials here But somehow i can't access this part.
Tutorials and Guides
ManISinJpr, Jaydip, Arjs and 6 others like this.
Veyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-13   #2
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

warrior69 is somewhat of a Mystery
Re: Run WhatsApp on PC

old news already using
warrior69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-13   #3
teh nuB!
[E]onian
KAMIKAZE ON REPEAT!

Amitfuriousgam is Mysterious

Originally Posted by warrior69 View Post
old news already using
me too.. But Good for the unaware ones..
Amitfuriousgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-13   #4
teh nuB!

VOiLA is Notable

Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Hey Fellow Tech Junkies! Howde!
Back after a long time, believe me, life has been super busy superimposed with equally difficult hurdles. Glad its over sooner than I thought.

The Synopsis
Androids Devices are the best thing that has happened in recent times. They gave a boost to Chinese devices too which used to come with weird OSes.
With Blackberry going for a toss, I was the one of many who reluctantly shifted to Android, Biggest issue was touch screen over QWERTY. I got a HTC Chacha two years ago. It was a direct replacement to my BB, and when Whatsapp came, BB messenger went directly into coffin. It was a very well thought out phone, with separate GPS antenna, GPS lock was under 30 secs and you did not need any data or sim card to use it. But some dumb-a$$ at HTC thought 150mb internal and 1250mAH battery would be enough. I always had issue with battery and internal memory getting low.

Enter Nexus 7 3g : Then I got myself a Nexus 7 for my emails and communication. Again the idiots at Asus left the front camera and calling facility (hence Whatsapp had to be installed with a juggad). No issue as it was superfast pad, which ever way I abused it it never hanged. Again the biggest issue was touch screen, I got a keyboard, but I hated it. Thats a different issue.

So yesterday I thought how convenient would it be to use Whatsapp on my super-book Dell Latitude. Google Baba came with couple of options. But beware most of the site leads to crap sites that deals in adware and some idiotic surveys.

So here goes a detail workaround. (Comments and Suggestion are welcome)

Stuff required
1. Android Emulator for PC. I used Blue Stack
2. Whatsapp apk. Can be had from official site.
3. Working SIM card on a mobile. Beware Whatsapp on that particular mobile will get deactivated if you use the same number to authenticate on PC. Its obvious isn't it. Don't blame me I didn't tell you.

Procedure

1. Download Blue Stack from the link given below. Do not download from the Official Link on website, It will give Error:25000 in most PCs/laptop that I tested.
http://cdn.bluestacks.com/downloads/....3.766_REL.msi

Its a simple straight forward install. Dont forget to Un-check all three options. They are useless.

2. Download Whatsapp from the official site. (Don't be lazy it)
Double click the .apk, Bluestack will automatically recognize it.

3. Now you will need Contacts right or if you have time you can feed each one manually. Well I have over 1300 so I have to confess, I am LAZY. Export your contact to the sdcard. Now Co'mon you are using android for too long you should know this.

4. Copy that to PC. (location in image below)

5. As some Smart journo said about a century ago "Picture is worth Thousand words" So let they do the talking

This what the Android Emulator Bluestack looks like, IMHO this is best there is.
Attachment 56766

Manage Contact : Go to Settings(Gear) icon.
Attachment 56767

Copy your backed up .vcf file to this location. This location act as SD card of Android.
Attachment 56770

Click Import export
Attachment 56768

Import from SD card. It will automatically detect the .vcf file kept there.
Attachment 56769

If you have multiple .vcf file unlike mine which is a single google export. Here is a simple command prompt and issue following command in same folder location of the multiple vcf files.

copy *.vcf xyz.vcf

where xyz.vcf is the newly created combined vcf file.

Thanks for reading

PS: I wanted to my articles/tutorials here But somehow i can't access this part.
Tutorials and Guides

Installed but don't see manage contacts in the settings list

Last edited by VOiLA; 21-09-13 at 11:03 AM.
VOiLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-13   #5
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
alive and kicking

Veyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly Admirable

None of the tutorials I found had the full details especially Er25000 Old Graphics driver issue. Hence the silly effort from my side.
Old 21-09-13   #6
teh geeK!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r

kartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirable

can you find the old version which had 7' display as i dont like newer 10' display
been using it since long
kartikoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-13   #7
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
alive and kicking

Veyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by kartikoli View Post
can you find the old version which had 7' display as i dont like newer 10' display
been using it since long
Thats not an issue You can run windowed.!
Old 21-09-13   #8
teh geeK!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r

kartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Thats not an issue You can run windowed.!
Its in window mode only but I dont like big screen acquiring most of the space on monitor

Sent from my A52
kartikoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-13   #9
teh nuB!

Jagadeesh is Mysterious

Thanks so much for sharing!! This is so cool! I will try it.
Jagadeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-13   #10
teh nuB!
Bang Bang Bang!!!

Vibu is Mysterious

Seriously, I never know this before will give a try right away
Vibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-13   #11
⎝ᄽ⏝⏠⎠
Community Moderator
Procreating =8)~

hawk is extremely Renowned
hawk is extremely Renownedhawk is extremely Renownedhawk is extremely Renowned

Have this idling in my system tray for over a yr now. I find it utterly useless. Can't bloody share the picks from the PC .. can't even copy paste :-/

This thread reminded me to stop wasting mem and other resource on this crap .. I'll uninstall it right now.

So thanks for reminding me to uninstall this carp
HDD: 2+3TB WD Black SATA3 & 512+256GB Samsung 850 pro
GPU: Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming WATERFORCE GTX 1080 @ 1759MHz (core) 1276MHz (mem) 1898MHz (boost)
PSU: SeaSonic X Series X850 Gold
Case & Cooler: Corsair 760T Black Red & H110i in Push Pull
hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-14   #12
teh nuB!

lisansri is Mysterious

Thanks For your wonderful article Mr.Veyron......Its useful.....
lisansri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-16   #13
Banned

cancrushers3 is Mysterious

You can run whatspp on PC.

Can Crusher | Can Recycling
cancrushers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-16   #14
teh nuB!
[E]onian