Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Software Zone > Operating Systems
Register Forgot Password?

Old 30-10-12   #1
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Trapped in time. Surrounded by

Icon7 Review : Windows 8 Pro on My Laptop

Been thinking of writing something for a while now. Installed windows 8 on saturday and this is my second day playing around. Will make my review short and snazzy as i know most of you would have read a lot of reviews. This is more of a hands-on experience 'LIST' style

Before the install
  • Read all the reviews
  • Read about issues people were facing
  • Checked about 10 youtube videos
  • Read a post that said that the 699 offer could be availed even if i purchased my laptop before July' 12
  • Decided to go for it!!

Buying my copy
  1. Register for the offer Windows 8 upgrade offer - Windows 8 special offer
  2. You get promo key sent to your inbox
  3. go to Microsoft Windows
  4. get the downloadable installer
  5. Run setup and you are ready to go, couple of next clicks, apply your coupan and pay
  6. installer downloads the complete installation.. asks for the go ahead
The installation
I would like to say it went butter smooth as i paid for it, but that was not to be the case. It was all good till it lasted, good colours, great animation, all in all a totally different experience than installing any of the previous versions. I got on fine to the 'setup windows screens'. Personalized the content, Setup a hotmail account and clicked complete. It showed 'preparing desktop' for a while and then WHAMM! An error shows up ->

Windows Installation not Successful. Your previous version of Windows is being restored

At the very end. After a download time of 4 hours. trouble taking backing up my data ( just in case! ) of 2 hours. All wasted.

My reactions: Remember the instance the Win OS went bust on Bill Gates while he was show casing it.

The BAD
  1. It did not tell me what the error was
  2. No error message in the stack trace
  3. Cranky that it took me till the very last step. Certainly a deal breaker in terms of annoying me.

The Good
  1. It installed my old OS again pretty neat without any issues. I played around with it a bit and felt slightly better.
Where is the customer support, I ask

So now i decided on checking a few blogs, contacting customer support to get my Win 8 fixed. I logged in and to my horror there were people from all corners of the world crying foul. Some were stuck starting the setup, others while downloading, others at 2%, some at 10, 15, 30, 45 what not. And around 10 posts on windows blog who like me were stuck on the final screen. e.g. this guy

"Windows Installation not Successful. Your previous version of Windows is being restored." at end of Windows 8 installation.

Waited on the thread a while but no help came. So started reading around and the very own perfected method of 'HIT and Trial'. What i changed
  • Uninstalled iTunes.. read that on a particular site
  • Formatted the windows 8 developer copy from the other drive. Lot of people installed without doing that but still
  • When i again started installer, it mentioned that the intel WI-FI software was not compatible and had to be removed. Funny part was that this did not happen the first time. Removed that too
  • Disabled my anti virus
Windows 8 is up
Neat. The first thing which I wanted to test was the boot time. So after the first boot i quickly shut down my laptop and restarted. It took 16 seconds to show the lock screen. Now that is awesome :armyguy:

The good
  1. Boot time
  2. the synchronization with my social networks, chat account is awesome
  3. The feature where in i can stack different programs on a single screen. Well thought of and executed
  4. Took a big liking to the tablet like notifications
  5. The apps, even though very few are neatly designed and eye candy for sure. Some are worth their weight in gold on the desktop.
  6. It feels faster, more intuitive ( sometimes). more attractive.

The bad
  • Switching between the modern and the desktop UI seems clumsy at times
  • Pressing windows was second nature. See no reason why they had to do away with it completely. The new 'start' is stupid to say the least.
  • App store. I would not growl about their being almost no apps. There are apps and some very good ones at that. But having been spoiled by IOS and android, i really wanna see it growing fast
  • The apps at the back end of the store are just fillers of no use . Mostly by Indian techies ( me included )
MY FINAL VERDICT
I may never go back to windows 7 just because of the boot time. Its beautiful and may perform exceptionally well for tablets but it needs some time to mature in the laptop, desktop space. I believe most reviewers were just being too hard on it.

Update <30 October>

It sure feels a lot different now that I have everything setup to use the new features

Updates : I just open my machine. no need to log into Facebook or other chat accounts / Social sites. No need to log into my mail box. Calendar's synced. I used Mozilla thunderbird earlier but this feels whole lot nicer. I get small Notifications while I watch a movie on the top left corner which do not feel intrusive... and well.. still more to discover

Downside is : Few old applications stopped working. LogMeIn works no more. Max Payne is not launching. :-( Uninstalled them. Will possibly install Max Payne again. Have to finish it before the next work cycle. Will update if it is some Windows 8 issue.

Looking forward to Getting the new win 8 drivers from DELL. Especially the bios ones. Heard they would make boot up even faster. Wonder what that will be like!

Update : Installed startisBack : A Windows 7 like start Menu button. Feel like home again. Start is back!
The developer seems to have put in some really good work. Read about it at Start Is Back - beta 4 - MSFN Forum

Now to the review :
Its a story of how quickly one can get used to new stuff.
I installed it and closed the available setting tab to check them out later. It worked like charm. In fact it showed the apps in recently used same as they were windows 7.
now the hiccup.
It disables the charms bar. There is a setting to re-enable it but none for the one where I got quick settings clicking on the left lower corner.
Also all of a sudden shifting between the desktop and the modern UI was not working when I click the windows button. It's now set to 'Windows + Ctrl' which again is configurable but does not seem as fluid as earlier. Guess I will soon get used to this too.

As of now I am keeping it. Thanks @vasishta.sushant

Update <31/10/2012>
Upgraded to windows media center for free.. Its free till 31st January. I believe it was initially stupid of windows to not keep media centre part of the new Modern UI. Could not understand what the concerns were.

Downside, it while starting takes me back to the desktop screen. Doesn't give the great feel like when a modern UI app opens up. But it works like a charm.

Steps to update to windows 8 media center
  1. visit Add features - Microsoft Windows
  2. enter your URL under the section 'Add Windows Media Center to Windows 8 Pro' and submit
  3. You will receive a key in your mail
  4. right click on the left hand lower corner on the desktop. Click 'add feature' and enter your new key.

Secondly, @fleshfragger was facing an issue activating. 0x80072EE2 One may also encounter it while upgrading.. it's an issue with your windows proxy configuration causing an issue. Seems it was over riding the one microsoft has set up in the registry for communication with its upgrade servers. In case any of you face the same issue. Check out
Fixing Windows Update Error 0x80072ee2

p.s.
1. My laptop is a dell xps 15 with i7 and 4gb of ram.
2. Apologies for if this article threads the line between a walk through and a review and ends up neither.

Last edited by shackled; 31-10-12 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Updates
shackled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-12   #2
Banned
I'm Animator / GawD

zombie is somewhat of a Mystery
Re: Review : Windows 8 Pro on My Laptop

Nice explanation for the errors.

Keep the adventure on and update here with good / bad !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nokia 3310 > Siemens > Tata Star > Nokia 1100 > Nokia N72 > Moto Razr V3 > Moto Razr V3i > Nokia N73 > Blackberry Curve > Chinese Mobile > Samsung Guru > Samsung Star 3G > Lg Pop > Samsung Corby Mate > iPhone 3G > iPhone 3Gs > iPhone 4 > iPhone 4S > Nokia 1600 > HTC Desire HD > HTC Sensation > Samsung Galaxy S2 > Samsung Galaxy Note > Nokia 101 > iPhone 4S
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bike Life : Yamaha Libero > Pulsar 180 > Karizma R > Yamaha Fazer > Pulsar 220 > Discover > Yamaha Fz > Pulsar 220
(Italic = Currently In my Parking)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Traveled on bike : Area / Places Of Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttrakhand, Gujarat, Nepal, U.P., Bihar, Maharashtra.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DieHard Fan : Apple, Puma, Dell, Pulsar, CoolerMaster, ATI Graphic Cards.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hate : Cars, Superstition, AMD Processor, Nvidia, Canon SLR, Microsoft Office, Linux.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jai Hanuman !
Respect, Pray, Love "Parents" Forget other Mantra-Vantra, Baba's and their drama.
zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-12   #3
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

Nice share of your experiences @shackled, you are indeed not the onl one who faced problems while upgrading.
there are other people also and this is kind of bad as it should not happen or the OS should tell that some components are to be removed as they are not compatible, but what you said in the end is also correct that you would not go back to the Windows 7.
shackled likes this.

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-12   #4
ਦਿਲ ਆਪਣਾ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ !!!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I don't wanna set any status..

Rig Gallery

vasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Great

I updated three machines. Two desktops and one laptop. None showed me a sign of discomfort. But yes I didn't retain any old files and did a fresh install for all of them, after formatting the hard disk.

I am all game for the new OS. Only if i could get the start8/startisback for free. Still don't feel comfortable without the start button. Using the 30 day trial version of "startisback" currently and once its expired, will be using the "start8" for another month. I hope by then some decent/free/native start button tricks would be out.

Surprisingly for me the boot time for both the PCs remained nearly the same (both were on Intel SSDs) and the boot time for the netbook increased a bit.
Th3 KiNg likes this.
Intel Core i5 3550s | Asus P8B75-V | GSkill 8GB DDR3 CL7 1333MHz | MSI 660Ti Power Edition | Wetern Digital Green 2TB | Intel 330 128GB SSD | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | Corsair TX650V2 | CM Gladiator 600 | Logitech G500 | Steelseries QcK Mass | Logitech Z506 | Samsung 40EH5000 LED TV
vasishta.sushant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-12   #5
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

shackled is very Notable

Originally Posted by zombie View Post
Nice explanation for the errors. Keep the adventure on and update here with good / bad !
Will be doing that. It sure feels a lot different now that i have everything setup to use the new features

Updates : I just open my machine. no need to log into facebook/ various chat accounts. No need to log into mail box. Calender's synced. I used mozila thunderbird earlier but this feels whole lot nicer. I get Notifications while i watch a movie... and well.. still more to discover

Downside is : Few applications stopped working. LogMeIn works no more. Max Payne is not launching. :-(

Looking forward to Getting the new win 8 drivers from DELL. Especially the bios ones. HEArd they would make boot up even faster. Wonder what that will be like!
ManISinJpr likes this.
Old 30-10-12   #6
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

^^ I would suggest reinstalling those apps and games which are not working.
ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-12   #7
Banned
I'm Animator / GawD

Originally Posted by shackled View Post
Will be doing that. It sure feels a lot different now that i have everything setup to use the new features

Updates : I just open my machine. no need to log into facebook/ various chat accounts. No need to log into mail box. Calender's synced. I used mozila thunderbird earlier but this feels whole lot nicer. I get Notifications while i watch a movie... and well.. still more to discover

Downside is : Few applications stopped working. LogMeIn works no more. Max Payne is not launching. :-(

Looking forward to Getting the new win 8 drivers from DELL. Especially the bios ones. HEArd they would make boot up even faster. Wonder what that will be like!
Re-install and give it a try may help.

@shackled
As long as days pass I guess this thread gonna be long.
Better Update your activities to the first post only, dividing each update by Date on which you do it.

And just bump the thread to check main post

I'm gonna get Window 8 soon too and I guess we can use this thread as Universal too.
Who knows maybe admin make it sticky to help all forums members.
shackled likes this.
Old 30-10-12   #8
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

shackled is very Notable

Originally Posted by vasishta.sushant View Post
Surprisingly for me the boot time for both the PCs remained nearly the same (both were on Intel SSDs) and the boot time for the netbook increased a bit.
Surprising. How fast was the boot time earlier on the PC's. For my laptop it must have gone down at least half a minute or more.

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr ♦ View Post
but what you said in the end is also correct that you would not go back to the Windows 7.
Not for now. But i do wish to have a look once i again have to install development tools like IBM RAD and all. It it causes issues. who know!! That's what kept me stuck on windows xp years after every1 moved to windows 7.

Better Update your activities to the first post only, dividing each update by Date on which you do it.
Sure @zombie, will do that. Thanks for the heads up. Will try to keep the thread informative and running.

=
Old 30-10-12   #9
ਦਿਲ ਆਪਣਾ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ !!!

Rig Gallery

vasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Great

Originally Posted by shackled View Post
Surprising. How fast was the boot time earlier on the PC's. For my laptop it must have gone down at least half a minute or more.
Both my PCs used to boot in around 20 sec and thats what I am seeing now as well. The laptop used to take odd 35-40 sec and I've seen no improvement there as well. In fact its in the tune of 40-45 sec now.
Old 30-10-12   #10
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

shackled is very Notable

Both my PCs used to boot in around 20 sec and thats what I am seeing now as well. The laptop used to take odd 35-40 sec and I've seen no improvement there as well. In fact its in the tune of 40-45 sec now.
20s with win 7.. guess i should get the SSD i have been deferring for long..

Even the laptop's should come down. what is it's config? check if their are any BIOS upgrades.. I heard that has a role to play as well.
Old 30-10-12   #11
ਦਿਲ ਆਪਣਾ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ !!!

Rig Gallery

I don't know if the BIOS update would help that much. Its a Vaio YB series netbook (AMD Fusion E350, 4GB RAM). Anyway I am fine with the booting times since I never turn off the netbook

BTW Try the startisback. It gives you the most authentic/native looking start button to the Win 8 UI. Wish it were free. I haven't seen any other third party solution coming this close to the "pseudo genuine" stuff.
shackled likes this.
Old 30-10-12   #12
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

shackled is very Notable
Icon7 Re: Review : Windows 8 Pro on My Laptop

I don't know if the BIOS update would help that much. Its a Vaio YB series netbook (AMD Fusion E350, 4GB RAM). Anyway I am fine with the booting times since I never turn off the netbook
Reminds me of my college desktop . It went off one day .. just short of bursting into flames. But at least it did last me till my 4th year.

BTW Try the startisback. It gives you the most authentic/native looking start button to the Win 8 UI. Wish it were free. I haven't seen any other third party solution coming this close to the "pseudo genuine" stuff.
Will download it now. I just so want if Microsoft to get one optional upgrade for this . Will maybe post a RIP for the start Menu on my blog and on <E>

Update : Installed it. Thanks for the heads up, Updated the review.
vasishta.sushant likes this.

Last edited by shackled; 30-10-12 at 10:21 PM.
Old 31-10-12   #13
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Vescere bracis meis.

fleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famed

I am on 9200 build. Apparently, there are some activation issues with that build(some unwanted proxy redirects).

I used the following steps to fix it(reset the proxy settings).

1) Open cmd, and run it as an administrator

2)Type netsh

3) Type winhttp

It will look something like this

netsh>winhttp

4) Type this command :-import proxy source=ie

It will look like
netsh winhttp>import proxy source=ie

Restart computer or kill the explorer.exe process and reload it.

It will get activated like a charm

shackled likes this.

Last edited by fleshfragger; 31-10-12 at 11:38 PM.
fleshfragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-12   #14
Banned
I'm Animator / GawD

Problem solved

I'm installing Window 8 !

Last edited by zombie; 01-11-12 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-11-12   #15
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

shackled is very Notable

Problem solved I'm installing Window 8 !
good luck bro!
Post New Thread  Reply