Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > General Hardware and Peripherals
Register Forgot Password?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

Ram Speed???

I have,
i7 4790k at 4ghz,
gtx 1070
corsair vengeance 8gb ddr3 at 1600mhz
1 tb WD HDD, no SSD

I have been playing for horizon 3 in 1080p ultra grapihcs, but my fps seems to drop below 50 fps sometimes while driving.... and my cpu and gpu are not utilizing more than 60% of their capacity.... while standing still my fps goes 70+ fps but while driving it seems to drop down. Similar thing i can also see in GTA 5 while driving little fast. I think the ram is the culprit here. Can any one give me any suggestion?

*Edit-- Also the ram usage is more or less 6.5gb
sandysarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
teh nuB!
[E]onian
Ashes, The Rain and I.

Submerged is very HonorableSubmerged is very Honorable
Re: Ram Speed???

First off, you should seriously consider buying an SSD for your OS and your demanding games. A 4790k & 1070 almost demands one. The difference it will make to your gaming experience will be significant. Night and day. Drastically reduced load times, less stutter. If you don't have a lot to spend on a brand new one, look for used Intel/Samsung 180-256gb ones of eBay. That's how I got mine. Just buy one from a seller with good feedback who's ready to answer you questions about drive health etc and you should be good.

As for the ram, I am tempted to say you could benefit from faster ram and more ram. 1600mhz ram is the weak link in your cpu/gpu/ram combo and if you're hitting 6.5gb and you're the kind to leave lots of tab open in Chrome while gaming, then you could use the extra ram too. Check this very informative video of a 2500k at different oc & ram speeds. Its a weaker processor compared to yours but ram speed does make quite a bit of difference nowadays.

From my own personal experience I can tell you that ram speed makes the kind of difference illustrated in the video above. I have a heavily modded Skyrim installation and oc'ing both my 2500k and my cheap 1333mhz ram makes a big difference with my RX 470. The fps difference between troublesome spots at stock cpu/ram speeds (3.3ghz/1333mhz) and even a modest oc (4ghz/1600mhz) is 12+fps at times not to mention the experience is much smoother. 4.5ghz/1866 or 2133)mhz would make an even bigger difference I presume.

That said, before buying new sticks, try oc'ing your current ones to 1866mhz CAS 10 and see if it makes a difference. If it does, well your suspicions are confirmed. If not, then something else is at play. The 3770k paired with 2133mhz ram does a great job in the video I've linked to so a 4790k at 4+ghz and 1866mhz along with an SSD should give you a performance boost as well. Btw what's your monitor's resolution?

Last edited by Submerged; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:14 AM.
Submerged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
teh nuB!

sandysarkar is Mysterious

Thanks man, for you suggestions.. The was very informative... My monitor's resolution is 1080p. I did some research about the game FH3, and found out the PC port optimization is not at all a good one. But still i was suspecting few bottlenecks in my pc. And as it seems for now its probably the ram.

As for the SSD, at the time of building the pc i was ok with little longer loading time, but now i think i should actually buy one.

About overclocking the CPU... the cpu has not been utilized more than 90% in any game till now that i have played... so i dont think overclocking will do any good for gaming for now...
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
teh nuB!
[E]onian
Ashes, The Rain and I.

You're welcome. Yeah crappy ports can do that.

Your cpu & gpu are more than enough for 1080p60hz gaming and oc'ing your ram (or getting higher speed sticks) and an SSD (you really should get one) will help you further in getting better, smoother performance.

Yeah you probably don't need to oc a Haswell i7 for 1080p@60fps - I was just mentioning my experience about how a modest speed bump can make quite a bit of difference. But if you ever need the extra performance, its right there for you to tap into.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
HTPC mods

Rig Gallery

BluDev is Notable

Originally Posted by sandysarkar View Post
I have been playing for horizon 3 in 1080p ultra grapihcs, but my fps seems to drop below 50 fps sometimes while driving.... and my cpu and gpu are not utilizing more than 60% of their capacity.... while standing still my fps goes 70+ fps but while driving it seems to drop down. Similar thing i can also see in GTA 5 while driving little fast. I think the ram is the culprit here. Can any one give me any suggestion?
so afew points
not having full utilisation of yur CPUand GPU is not a problem it coud meanthat the work load is not hard enough for it to run at full tilt
For eg if my gpu is Vsynced for a game

i agree with @Submerged tah ta bad port gives a worse experience sometimes and it may have nothing to do with HW
iwould definitely invest in a SSD its a world of difference and something i would invest without batting an eyelid (SSD user since last 8 years)

as for RAM speeds the jump from 1333 to 1866 might give you a 2% movement in FPS in some games and 5% in others
the baseline standard tends to be anything above that but your gains will taper off mostly after 2400 FOR GAMING

SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 gb and 500 gb Windows 10 SL 64bit
BluDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
teh nuB!
[E]onian
Ashes, The Rain and I.

@BluDev
You're right. CPU/GPU not being maxed is not at all a problem but like you said only if the gaming load isn't sufficient or if the CPU/GPU aren't being held back. I don't know much about Forza Horizon 3 but the recommended gpus are 970/1060 so I am guessing maybe a 1070 should be plenty for a constant 60fps at 1080p (of course I could be wrong). If he's not getting that with a 4790k and a 1070, then something's holding him back. Either the ram or maybe porting issues as we agreed. Or maybe too much AA.

I am guessing you didn't watch the video I linked to in my first post. Trust me its worth the watch. Just see how much of a difference faster memory makes in certain games. I can assure you from my own personal experience that's its much more than 2% even going from 1333 to 1600 (check my post again). Pretty sure I can get some more performance if I go higher. If 1333/1600 holds a 470 back then it would surely do the same or worse to a 1070. But yeah I agree with you that anything over 2400 is probably unnecessary for gaming right now.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
HTPC mods

Rig Gallery

BluDev is Notable

Here are some interesting articles with FPS changes from 1600 to 2400 hope it helps the OP

Does RAM Speed Matter? DDR3-1600 vs. 1866, 2133, and 2400 in Games | The Tech Buyer's Guru

An Independent Study: Does The Speed Of RAM Directly Affect FPS During High CPU Overhead Scenarios?
@Submerged guilty as charged didn't see video as had read enough articles about RAM speeds and their effect on FPS

I would suggest if you have the cash upgrade to 2133(4gbx2 )atleast and spend the rest on an SSD
Submerged likes this.
BluDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
teh nuB!

sandysarkar is Mysterious

Originally Posted by BluDev View Post
Here are some interesting articles with FPS changes from 1600 to 2400 hope it helps the OP

Does RAM Speed Matter? DDR3-1600 vs. 1866, 2133, and 2400 in Games | The Tech Buyer's Guru

An Independent Study: Does The Speed Of RAM Directly Affect FPS During High CPU Overhead Scenarios?
@Submerged guilty as charged didn't see video as had read enough articles about RAM speeds and their effect on FPS

I would suggest if you have the cash upgrade to 2133(4gbx2 )atleast and spend the rest on an SSD
Yes, i do agree with these results, However these games are 3 years or even older than that. We have a complete new generation of games and graphics now. It would be really interesting to see how the recent titles would perform in various test scenarios. And what i suspect ram speed does make a noticeable difference in modern games. But we need more analysis as i see.

As for The game FH3... Vsync, and AA was taken into account at the time of posting the thread. With both of them turned off the game performs the same... whats weird that the FPS still remains almost the same, more or less 5 fps.

I found out that one CPU (CPU 0 in this case) is being over utilized reaching 99 all the time, whereas other CPUs are under 25%... Clearly this is where the game is having the performance issue. And it also proves that the game has serious optimization issue. Lets hope the developers releases a patch to fix this.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
teh nuB!
[E]onian
Ashes, The Rain and I.

More than the age of the game, I suppose it depends on how demanding/unoptimized it is. Skyrim, a 2011 game, when heavily modded greatly benefits from faster cpu/ram but a better optimized newer title might not show that much of a difference. I have run Deus Ex Mankind Divided with both 1333 & 1600 mhz and didn't notice much of a difference. At least not to the level I did in Skyrim.

Wait, if you're using Vsync on a 60Hz monitor, why are you getting 70+ fps in places? Also did you try turning in game Vsync off and applying it via the Nvidia control panel to see if it helps? Vysnc (triple buffered) doesn't really affect performance. If in a certain spot your card can only push 50 fps, then it should be 50 fps with or without vysnc enabled. Vsync only comes into play when you're pushing more frames than your monitor can display.

Also, if you're getting 5 fps more by turning down AA then it is in fact making a difference. Sure its not a huge one but I'd say 5 fps is outside the margin of error. You should not have to turn down settings with a 4790k/1070 but if the game isn't optimized, then it isn't your hardware's fault for not being utilized properly.

The recommended cpu for that particular game is a Core i7 3820 @ 3.6GHz so its interesting to see only core getting hammered and the workload spread so unevenly. Yup probably not optimized properly.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10
teh nuB!

Salman8506 is Mysterious

I can first hand tell you if you get an SSD it will stop stutters and fps drops in many places. I have below setup

4790k @ 4.5ghz
32gb ddr3 @ 1600mhz
GTX 970

512gb x2 SSD, I came from a traditional hdd setup where i had stutters and fps drops in GTA5. Post coming to ssd its been butter smooth. The cpu almost never goes to 100% in gaming except loading in certain games.

Ram yes you will see a little difference going to 1866mhz but i dont think its as significant as you have observed.
Salman8506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11
teh nuB!
[E]onian
Ashes, The Rain and I.

Depends what you mean by a little difference.

If you watched the video I linked to above, you would see the difference going from 1600 to 2133 makes. If you get even close to half of that going from 1600 to 1866, I'd say its more than a little difference. Of course it wouldn't be significant in every game but in certain games, ram speed above 1600mhz does make a noticeable difference.

Plus OP's 1600 sticks should be oc'able to 1866 so it would be good way to check whether it makes a difference in that particular game instead of spending money on new 1866 sticks.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12
teh nuB!

Salman8506 is Mysterious

Well i was once considering Z97(currently using H97) for overclocking rams however after reading multiple reviews and reading i came to the conclusion that 5-8% increase in performance is not worth it. If this 5% was from 20 fps to 22fps then yes i might have considered.

Ref:- Memory Scaling on Haswell: Single dGPU Gaming - Memory Scaling on Haswell CPU, IGP and dGPU: DDR3-1333 to DDR3-3000 Tested with G.Skill
Salman8506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13
teh nuB!
[E]onian
Ashes, The Rain and I.

That might be an Anandtech article but its way back from 2013 and the GPU used is a HD 6950. Not really applicable to a 1070 in 2017 or even a 970 which you have. Kindly watch the video I linked to above and see what going from 1600 to 2133 does. Its a whole lot more than 5-8% and 2 fps.

If 1333mhz can hinder the performance of a 470 (trust me it does), its really not that much of a stretch that 1600mhz could do the same to a 1070. I am not saying its doing that in the particular game OP wants to play - I mean in general.

Sure if your target framerate is being met by 1600mhz ram & a 970 in the games you play, then yeah there's no need to get anything faster. But to say ram above 1600mhz makes little difference in 2017 is a fallacy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...7w&sh=9d528055
Post New Thread  Reply