Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.
Loading

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > General Hardware and Peripherals
Register Forgot Password?

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14-12-16   #1
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.
 
 
joshua538's Avatar

RAID Technology


I've read so much about RAID (0,1,5,6,10) but have a few questions with setting up a RAID different types of disks :
1) while creating RAID 0 and 1 combination can different sizes of disks be used. Eg- 512 GB and 1TB SSD or is it that both the type of drives should be same.
2) while creating RAID 5 combination can the parity strips be an SSD?
3) while creating RAID 6 combination can one of the two parity strips be an SSD?
bs1979 and abhayMSI like this.
joshua538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-16   #2
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.
 
 
abhayMSI's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 36
abhayMSI is Mysterious
Re: RAID Technology

Originally Posted by joshua538 View Post
I've read so much about RAID (0,1,5,6,10) but have a few questions with setting up a RAID different types of disks :
1) while creating RAID 0 and 1 combination can different sizes of disks be used. Eg- 512 GB and 1TB SSD or is it that both the type of drives should be same.
2) while creating RAID 5 combination can the parity strips be an SSD?
3) while creating RAID 6 combination can one of the two parity strips be an SSD?
Hi @joshua538 ,

Great to know you want to know more about the technology,
Here you go the answers to the questions:
1) Different sized disks can be striped to create RAID 0, For eg: 512 GB HDD and 1TB HDD but the system will only recognize as 1 TB instead of 1.5 TB
As for different type of disks, I would not recommend as because of the difference in read and write speeds and power consumption the system is more vulnerable to crash and your data might be lost.
Also to Create RAID 1 different sized disks can be mirrored together following the same logic.

2) You can use the parity disk in the RAID 5 combination as an SSD, as due to high read speeds it will be faster to recalculate the data in case of any disk failure.

3) The much safer version of RAID combination is the RAID 6 combination as it has 2 parity disks and hence reduced vulnerability to lose data in case of disk failure. Also you can replace both Parity drives with an SSD this increases the speed of recalculation of the data in case of disk failure due higher read speeds.


Also just to tell you thought the RAID technology is more common in servers and desktops,
We have the same technology in our MSI laptops.
What we have done is, we have connected the best quality of NVMe M.2 SSD in PCIe Gen 3.0 slot in RAID 0 combination which helps us to increase speed of the speed of system to 3200MB/sec. We call it SUPER RAID 4 which is 1.5 times more speed standard NVMe M.2 PCI eGen 3.0 SSD.

you can check out the link for more information.

joshua538 likes this.
abhayMSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-17   #3
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.
 
 
cometconquest's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4
cometconquest is Mysterious
Re: RAID Technology

Be very careful with setting up RAID though, if you're doing it manually. You could lose your data in the process if you miss a step or do something wrong.

Do make a backup of your data before you try.
abhayMSI and joshua538 like this.
cometconquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-17   #4
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.
 
 
abhayMSI's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 36
abhayMSI is Mysterious
Re: RAID Technology

Originally Posted by cometconquest View Post
Be very careful with setting up RAID though, if you're doing it manually. You could lose your data in the process if you miss a step or do something wrong.

Do make a backup of your data before you try.

Hi @cometconquest ,
You dont need to do anything manually, the system is preinstalled on the SuperRAID 4 Drives so as to increase you system speed drastically.
There is phenomenal increase is in System boot time as well as the applications as well start up superfast, Also to add to if you are doing any sort of heavy rendering and stuff it is very smooth due High write speeds.

joshua538 likes this.
abhayMSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-17   #5
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.
 
 
joshua538's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 3
joshua538 is Mysterious
Re: RAID Technology

Originally Posted by abhayMSI View Post
Hi @cometconquest ,
You dont need to do anything manually, the system is preinstalled on the SuperRAID 4 Drives so as to increase you system speed drastically.
There is phenomenal increase is in System boot time as well as the applications as well start up superfast, Also to add to if you are doing any sort of heavy rendering and stuff it is very smooth due High write speeds.

Hi @abhayMSI,

That is fine but if you have very high speed SSDs in RAID0, doesn't it produce heat?
This is the reason RAID configurations are used in Servers with lot of Fans and cool ambient temp to tackle the heat generated by the system.

How do you manage that in a laptop??
The system will heat up and crash.
joshua538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-17   #6
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.
 
 
cometconquest's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4
cometconquest is Mysterious
Re: RAID Technology

That's why you should ideally use a good laptop cooler if you're using RAID. Or go for MSI lappies. They have cooler boost which kicks the fans into action when working under load. You can manually control it too, using a physical button.

Sorted
cometconquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade SSD in RAID 0 rakesh_sharma23 Upgraditis 3 07-06-14 07:12 PM
RAID 1 or 10 Help bobthebuilder PC Buying Help 7 17-04-14 04:04 PM
INTEL Smart Response Technology & Rapid Start Technology prosenjit Operating Systems 1 02-03-13 08:03 PM
General: What is Raid? bonda Storage Solutions 17 30-07-10 09:09 AM
Optical: Raid 0 (?) kauffmann Storage Solutions 3 01-12-09 09:30 PM


Tags
raid, raid0, raid1, raid10, raid5, raid6, technology
All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:55 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.