Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Buying Help > PC Buying Help
Register Forgot Password?

Old 05-03-18   #1
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

PowerSupply {SMPS} Confusion! HELP!!!

Hello people,

I'm about to change my PowerSupply and I'm confused with all the different variants Corsair is flooded with in market.
I've only used CoolerMaster PowerSupply in past, but I guess these days Delhi and even India has a good market for Corsair.

1. If I need a 650W PowerSupply and I'm on a limited budget. Which variant should I go with ?

Online price of different variants (I know the prices will be lower in Nehru Place but right now I'm using online prices to compare and differentiate.) :

VS650 : 4000₹
CX650 : 6000₹
TX650M : 8000₹

My PC specs :
I7 930 - Over clocked to around 3.8Ghz
CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ Cooler
12GB GSkill RiPjaws
Samsung 128GB SSD for windows and softwares.
1TB Western Digital for storage
500gb Seagate for storage

Graphic card - Looking for upgrade but it would be something that can help me game and design. Something around 30k budget one. I don't know how much power they need.
Something like Nvidia 1060 or 1080 or something.

2. Do I need a 500W or 550W or 650W power supply?
I work for long hours on computer - Gaming and My video editing softwares.
Also, I have few normal HDDs that are from 2010-2011. And I connect them, do they take more power from psu?

Please Help!

Last edited by DaGuy; 05-03-18 at 08:06 AM.
DaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-18   #2
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Ashes, The Rain and I.

Submerged is very HonorableSubmerged is very Honorable
Re: PowerSupply {SMPS} Confusion! HELP!!!

First off, consult this PSU guide - PSU tier list 2.0 - Components - Tom's Hardware

As mentioned, avoid Corsair's low end models like the VS series. Same with Cooler Master. They might get the job done but they aren't really good units. As for Corsair's CX models, they're in tier 4 in the list above but someone else on these forums who was also looking to buy a PSU mentioned that based on his research, the 2017 version is decent. Try finding more info about it.

TX series is good. Another option would be the Seasonic M12II Evo 520/620W. Quality, fully modular PSUs.

For a 1060, I think a 500W PSU should be sufficient even with oc'ed 930. But for a 1080, you might want to get a 600W unit just to be completely safe.

Anyway, if your budget is 30K, then the 1080 is not even up for consideration. Its a struggle to find a new 1060 6GB under 30K right now due to all the mining nonsense.
Submerged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-18   #3
teh priesT!
[E]onian

Chaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly Admirable

There is a new Antec EA 650 Gold pro for 6k odd. This is basically a Seasonic Focus Gold rebadged. Real good deal!
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-18   #4
teh nuB!

DaGuy is Mysterious

Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
There is a new Antec EA 650 Gold pro for 6k odd. This is basically a Seasonic Focus Gold rebadged. Real good deal!
Hey. are you talking about this exact model ?
https://www.theitdepot.com/details-A...o)_P28209.html
It shows 8k :/

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

Originally Posted by Submerged View Post
First off, consult this PSU guide - PSU tier list 2.0 - Components - Tom's Hardware

As mentioned, avoid Corsair's low end models like the VS series. Same with Cooler Master. They might get the job done but they aren't really good units. As for Corsair's CX models, they're in tier 4 in the list above but someone else on these forums who was also looking to buy a PSU mentioned that based on his research, the 2017 version is decent. Try finding more info about it.

TX series is good. Another option would be the Seasonic M12II Evo 520/620W. Quality, fully modular PSUs.

For a 1060, I think a 500W PSU should be sufficient even with oc'ed 930. But for a 1080, you might want to get a 600W unit just to be completely safe.

Anyway, if your budget is 30K, then the 1080 is not even up for consideration. Its a struggle to find a new 1060 6GB under 30K right now due to all the mining nonsense.
That was a lot of good knowledge for someone like me (who loves all these stuff but outdated these days). Thank You.
I'm looking ahead to put a 600 or 650W PSU because I always end up putting more and good stuff. (We all do that )

Also, I'm thinking to somehow live with no Pc or lending parts from friends but I will not GPU and PSU right now.
I mean, I'll be paying 30k for a GPU that is meant for 20k based on its capabilities. Doesn't make sense.
I'd better wait and get a 30k GPU that's worth 30k.
Do you guys think prices will be back or at least lower down a bit in coming 1 to 3 months?

Corsair TX650M and Seasonic M12II Evo 620W and Antec EA 650 Gold pro.
1. Do they all comes with same years of warranty ?
2. If they all are priced same, which one should I pick ?
3. If One of them is cheaper than other two somehow, Can I just pick the cheapest one among these and not regret later?Thanks a lot guys for all the time you're giving. I really appreciate it.
Submerged likes this.
Old 07-03-18   #5
teh nuB!
happy!

vinaykamat14 is Mysterious

Everybody is mixed on price drops. Some people say that the next gen Volta/Ampere release will cause a price drop. Nvidia says prices will remain the same or even increase. In short, no one can be sure of anything.

GTX 1060 3GB costs 22k, and 6GB costs around 30K at the moment.

I ended up buying the Corsair TX550M from Vedant Computers. Cost me 6k. Comes with a 7 year warranty as compared to the 3 years of the VS series and 5 years of the new CX series.
DaGuy likes this.
vinaykamat14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-18   #6
teh priesT!
[E]onian

Chaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by DaGuy View Post
Hey. are you talking about this exact model ?
https://www.theitdepot.com/details-A...o)_P28209.html
It shows 8k :/[COLOR="Silver"]
Ignore my previous post. The 6k price was on an amazon fulfilled seller. It suddenly disappeared now.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-18   #7
teh nuB!

DaGuy is Mysterious

Originally Posted by vinaykamat14 View Post
Everybody is mixed on price drops. Some people say that the next gen Volta/Ampere release will cause a price drop. Nvidia says prices will remain the same or even increase. In short, no one can be sure of anything.

GTX 1060 3GB costs 22k, and 6GB costs around 30K at the moment.

I ended up buying the Corsair TX550M from Vedant Computers. Cost me 6k. Comes with a 7 year warranty as compared to the 3 years of the VS series and 5 years of the new CX series.
7 years! That's awesome.
What's the address of this Vedant computers?
I did the PSU usage calculator and got this as suggested. Do you think getting a 550W would be neck to neck thing ?
That's why I was going for 650W, to keep scope of future new parts I'll install.

22k and 30k for 3 and 6gb ?
I don't think I'll be able to find it anywhere
I hope the prices go low

Old 07-03-18   #8
⎝ᄽ⏝⏠⎠
Community Coordinator
Procreating =8)~

hawk is extremely Renowned
hawk is extremely Renownedhawk is extremely Renownedhawk is extremely Renowned

Originally Posted by vinaykamat14 View Post
I ended up buying the Corsair TX550M
A very good choice.

Sorry abt being late to this thread.. but that's what I'd ve suggested anyways.

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Abt the GPU prices, just wait for the cryptocurrency to go belly flop.. it won't be long now. And then, we'll be picking up a pair of GTX 1080s for 40k
DaGuy likes this.
HDD: 2+3TB WD Black SATA3 & 512+256GB Samsung 850 pro
GPU: Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming WATERFORCE GTX 1080 @ 1759MHz (core) 1276MHz (mem) 1898MHz (boost)
PSU: SeaSonic X Series X850 Gold
Case & Cooler: Corsair 760T Black Red & H110i in Push Pull
hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-18   #9
teh nuB!

DaGuy is Mysterious

Originally Posted by hawk View Post
A very good choice.

Sorry abt being late to this thread.. but that's what I'd ve suggested anyways.

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Abt the GPU prices, just wait for the cryptocurrency to go belly flop.. it won't be long now. And then, we'll be picking up a pair of GTX 1080s for 40k
I hope and wish ans pray we do that
Actually this all is just working for some greedy people because some of us want GPU badly and end up buying. But that won't be long, we Indians don't do work like that

Also just got quote for TX650M from cost2cost, Nehru place. It's 7660₹ including GST.
And they don't have the 550W variant.

I guess paying 2k extra and getting 2 years of warranty extra that too on the TX series is worth the money.

But! any idea if PSU prices are going to be same or high in coming months ?
Or should I buy and keep it now only. And get you after 1-2 months.

Old 07-03-18   #10
teh nuB!
happy!

vinaykamat14 is Mysterious

Monitor PSU prices and availability. Prices won't fluctuate much I'd say. This is Power Supply, not Graphics Cards.

I was recommeded the TX550M as the best PSU in that range but it wasn't available anywhere online or locally(Mumbai). I was about to settle for the CX650M Grey Label(my second ranked choice). Then one day I saw it available on vedant website and placed an order asap. Keep track, and maybe add the items you want to your wishlist? Not sure if that works. TX550M has been in and out of stock on mdcomputers and vedantcomputers.

https://www.vedantcomputers.com/

http://mdcomputers.in/

https://www.primeabgb.com/
DaGuy likes this.
vinaykamat14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-18   #11
teh nuB!
Hyderabad <3 !

arunkc is Mysterious

GTX 1060 is around 28-30k right now, it was originally 24k but crypto have increased prices..

https://mdcomputers.in/antec-550-wat...a550g-pro.html

I've been looking at this myself as well, it's a 550w Gold rated psu, more than sufficient for your cpu + 1060, and the price is appealing at 5805rs
arunkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply