Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Tutorials and Guides
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article

Old 07-07-11
Lounge Bug
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Chocolate Salted Balls.

bean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famed
Rig Gallery
Power Your DSL Modem Using USB

Power Your DSL Modem Using USB
Click here to read the entire article

Last edited by vijayninel; 09-07-11 at 07:08 PM.
By npsingh123 29-10-11
Re: Power Your DSL Modem Using USB

Power adapter says that it can SUPPLY 1 A. A modem would be happy with maybe 200 mA. In real world it is hard to design all the parts to fit exact, so all devices till 1 A will get one model though their needs range from 100mA to 900mA.

A car battery can supply say 250 A, this does not mean that low power devices like car radio/Immobilizer etc cannot work on it.

Also that 500ma per port is the official specification. Some like Gigabyte give 1.5 A per port

GIGABYTE Tech Daily: MissingRemote.com recommend A75M-UD2H Micro-ATX for Llano HTPC
By abh_spark 27-04-12

My power cable has conked off, and i am looking to make a usb cable now.
Can you please elaborate on how to figure out +/- polarity wires in power supply cable?
Or which end will connect to red usb wire and which one to black usb wire?

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

thanks for this DIY idea
I was able to bring up my modem with makeshift usb cable.
I was using a usb cable with thin wires to join to adapter cable and it was not able to supply enough current to modem.
It worked Once I connected power cable directly to usb plug , chopping of thin wires from it.
By KernelPanic 15-05-12

Hmmm nice. I've old BSNL Huawei MT 882 Modem/Router. It states 9V on the adapter and Modem. So, I won't be able to power it via USB or can I?
By npsingh123 18-05-12

Modem is old? Open it! Does it say 9v AC or DC?

Got a multimeter? There may be a three pin regulator like http://www.elecfreaks.com/store/imag...IC_7805_01.jpg .

Basically if it uses 5 V internally then you are all good to go. It would be good if you can let us have an image of the parts.

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Huawei MT 882 comes with a USB port

http://www.stream-support.ru/modems/images/mt882.jpg

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
By bean_laden 18-05-12

Originally Posted by npsingh123 View Post
Modem is old? Open it! Does it say 9v AC or DC?

Got a multimeter? There may be a three pin regulator like http://www.elecfreaks.com/store/imag...IC_7805_01.jpg .

Basically if it uses 5 V internally then you are all good to go. It would be good if you can let us have an image of the parts.

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Huawei MT 882 comes with a USB port

http://www.stream-support.ru/modems/images/mt882.jpg

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
Usually the usb connection would be for networking purpose and not as a source of power.

@KernelPanic: Check what the current adapter max output is. If its 5v then you can try the DIY.
By npsingh123 19-05-12

Connect the usb cable. If lights come on and you can access the interface via utility/ethernet then all is OK.

I had an unbranded router once. Worked using the usb alone well.
By charleson 02-06-12

It may be working for a USB Modem, but it's not working for my modem-router Sterlite SAM300x (4 RJ-45, USB and ADSL2+).

Still it's an awesome guide, thanks for sharing it #bean_laden, if I still had my previous ADSL2+ modem only set, it would have been an amazing setup.

This is how I planned to use it, Change the MTNL Plan to 2MB/Sec Night-UNLIMITED , schedule the computer to turn on and turn off @ 10PM and 8AM.

Warning : Any back flow of current or voltage spikes from the modem may destroy onboard IC components. And in case of lightning strike on the phone cable the destruction of your PC is confirmed.
By bean_laden 28-06-12

@charleson: that gives me more ideas. Thankyou.

@All: I got myself a inverter setup for the modem and router.
Inverter Battery Questions.
By rajan1311 28-06-12

just a question...in the guide, the adapter says 5v and 1A. USB ports give around 500mA max i think. Better to use 2 USB ports in parallel then?
By npsingh123 28-06-12

Do you really think that the device uses 5 watts? The adapter is not strictly matched to the device it is sold with. Most probably they have only 1-2 adapters for all devices.

Also the USB specification for 500ma max is the not strictly followed. Many ports can give 1000ma happily.
By prop0nik 14-09-12

This Didnt Power up my Netgear DIR-300 Which Required 12V and 1 Amps Any way to power it up??
By npsingh123 14-09-12

Your netgear should not need 1 AMP.

Do you have a multimeter + spare Cable + connectors?

You can take 12 V line from inside of computer.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

D-LINK DIR-300 Serial Port and SD mod | Tinyhack.com

This shows the Voltage as 5V.

The top board on https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=36986 shows a dir-300-B1 with 5V settings.

What is the Model+ sub model you have?

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Same here

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/826...edir300gc7.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

DIR 300 Wireless Router Manual

5V 1.2A
By tamocha11 26-09-12

innovative ! cool !
By vijaydga 23-10-12

Good i gonna try this.....
By sreejivp 23-10-12

if u have desktop pc, u can get the power from smps 5v, just two wires, ground and yellow will do.
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search