Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Electronics and Consumer Durables > Mobile Phones
Register Forgot Password?

Old 30-10-13   #1
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
Exclamation Phonebloks/Ara Modular Smartphone Project Update

Phonebloks and Project Ara is talk of the town today. First off there was a new video put up by the phonebloks community which tells about their future direction and collaboration with Motorola in their modular smartphone project - Ara.

Next some new photos of Ara have come out which give us more clues about the project.

On the backside of the phone, the exoskeleton holds 3 block sizes - small square, rectangle (size of 2 small squares) and large square (size of 4 small squares)

The backside has space for two small squares, four rectangles and two large squares. I suspect you could put two rectangles in the place of one small square and two small squares in the place of one rectangle. You could put in CPU's, GPU's, RAM, cameras, speakers, radio antennas, charging coils, flash and even modules that haven't been thought of yet. You can also put dummy blocks in place if you're not using the slot. In the photo above you can see a small square sized dummy wooden blocks. The blocks connect to the endoskeleton motherboard via gold plated contacts like on USB devices.

The front has place for one large screen and one rectangular module (four small squares long) for camera, speakers, mike, flash etc.

There appears to be no fasteners to hold the modules to the endoskeleton. They just slide in and out of rounded trapezoidal slots. The phone would be unusable in real life conditions like this and the modules would keep slipping out.

This is why I'm sure that there will be an exoskeleton cover which is not shown over here. The exoskeleton would probably look something like the iPhone 5C back cover or there would at least need to be a side bumper to hold the modules in place.

The first operating systems would probably be Android, Ubuntu, Tizen and Firefox. Phonebloks will remain independently funded, but will work together with Google, Motorola, and the community to help this goal become a reality. They promise a modular development kit for early backers and developers to get started on, as soon as this winter, and will help work with Google and Motorola throughout the early stages.
ManISinJpr, csunit37 and nikthegr8 like this.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-13   #2
Patient_Zero
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Zombie Enthusiast

realandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly Admirable
Re: Phonebloks/Ara Modular Smarphone Project Update

Looks pretty cool, that's for sure
I hope they quickly pass the testing phase, and jump on to production!
realandR3cys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-13   #3
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent
Re: Phonebloks/Ara Modular Smarphone Project Update

BTW ... you can sign up to be a "Ara Scout" and help to shape the direction of Project Ara. Google says "A phone designed for 6 billion people should be inspired by at least a few thousand."

You can sign up here dscout + Project Ara dscout
Old 30-10-13   #4
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble
Re: Phonebloks/Ara Modular Smartphone Project Update

Nice idea to start with..
I will keep a lookout for this for sure and I signed up !!

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-13   #5
teh priesT!
[E]onian
does this count as annoying?

bharat14101991 is very Honorablebharat14101991 is very Honorable

i still wonder if this phone will be speedy enough with those connection types...
bharat14101991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-13   #6
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by bharat14101991 View Post
i still wonder if this phone will be speedy enough with those connection types...
Is your desktop slow? It used the same connection types.
Old 30-10-13   #7
teh priesT!
[E]onian

Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
Is your desktop slow? It used the same connection types.
you sir are talking about my desktop?? that even slower than snail, it took me 10 mins today to open up notepad

jokes apart... the desktop contains everything on same pcb... but in this phone everything is connected by some electrical connecters (correct me),
Old 30-10-13   #8
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
FML!! >_>

nikthegr8 is very Honorablenikthegr8 is very Honorable

These phones would be worth buying
nikthegr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-13   #9
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by bharat14101991 View Post
the desktop contains everything on same pcb... but in this phone everything is connected by some electrical connecters (correct me),
No. Your desktop has multiple PCB's. You have one for the motherboard, some more for the RAM sticks, maybe one or more for the graphic card, sound card, hard disk, optical drive is via cables, TV tuners, external disks/cards, all have different PCB's. Lets not forget that your upgradable main processor is also removable. You can build millions of hardware variants and it will work just fine (with Windows and Linux at least, ze OSX is problemo).
ManISinJpr likes this.
Old 31-10-13   #10
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

I signed up but my Android device is not supported by the project.
I used my Nexus 7 for installing the app.
ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-13   #11
teh priesT!
[E]onian

Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
No. Your desktop has multiple PCB's. You have one for the motherboard, some more for the RAM sticks, maybe one or more for the graphic card, sound card, hard disk, optical drive is via cables, TV tuners, external disks/cards, all have different PCB's. Lets not forget that your upgradable main processor is also removable. You can build millions of hardware variants and it will work just fine (with Windows and Linux at least, ze OSX is problemo).
point noted
Post New Thread  Reply