Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Electronics and Consumer Durables > Mobile Phones
Register Forgot Password?

Old 17-12-13   #1
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
Phone Cos Told to Mandatorily Introduce SOS Button in Mobiles

A possible implementation of the SOS button.

Mobile phone marketing companies will have to mandatorily introduce an SOS button in all handsets and a police emergency response network will be integrated with the mobile phone network to trace and respond to distress calls in the shortest possible time, the finance ministry said on Monday, exactly a year after the Delhi gang-rape and murder of a 23 year old woman physiotherapy student.

In a press statement detailing the proposals, the finance ministry said the ministry of information technology will issue instructions to all handset makers to introduce an SOS alert button in all handsets and an SOS alert system in existing handsets through suitable software. The scheme will be launched in 157 cities in two phases (55 in phase I and 102 in phase II). The Ministry of Home Affairs has designed this scheme in consultation with Ministry of Information Technology. The expected outlay for this program is Rs.1000 crore.

What is not clear is if the button has to be a hardware button or a virtual software button. It is also not clear what safeguards will be there to prevent its accidental activation as pressing wrong buttons is not a uncommon mistake while using mobile phones. One could have a multiple step menu for confirming if the button was pressed accidentally or in genuine distress, such as "Are you sure you want to send a SOS - Yes/No/Cancel" but how useful such a menu will be to someone in distress is questionable.

Rajan S. Mathews, director general of lobby group Cellular Operators’ Association of India, said the cost of implementing such a button could be substantial and this would eventually be passed to customers.

“Adding an SOS button in new handset might work for normal phones, but for touchscreens, it is going to be difficult. It is easy to say, but hard to implement. The other question is, how useful it is going to be? Even if it is done, people are going to be confused and there is likely to be a lot of false alarms, more so in the case of touch screens,” Mathews said.

“In terms of existing handsets to download suitable software, we have a huge handset user base of around 900 million and not all can access the Internet. There is going to be logistical issue in case of downloading the suitable software for all the existing handsets. It will be feasible for only smartphones or high-end phones, but not all,” he added.

This could also apply to all other phones imported into India by individuals and smaller sellers. As such individuals may not be able to import phones even for their own use unless the phone is compliant with the new rules.

With inputs from : Phone makers told to mandatorily introduce SOS button - Livemint
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-13   #2
teh nuB!
Serving gamers since 2010

ArchaicSigil is Mysterious
Re: Phone Cos Told to Mandatorily Introduce SOS Button in Mobiles

cool initiative
ArchaicSigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-13   #3
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

Blahh !
There are sure shot Morons making such ideas and rules.!
A software which will always be active and will work with a certain pattern of keys already present on mobiles is a nicer idea !!

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-13   #4
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr ♦ View Post
A software which will always be active and will work with a certain pattern of keys already present on mobiles is a nicer idea !!
So you dont support the idea of a hardware SOS button?
Old 18-12-13   #5
Patient_Zero
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Zombie Enthusiast

realandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly Admirable

This may not work, cause:

a) The victim may not have access to the phone during the distress. The suspect also may go on to damage before the call is done.

b) The way Indian policeman work, by the time the police themselves would reach the crime/assault scene, the suspect would already have done the job and flee.

But nonetheless, very good initiative!
realandR3cys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-13   #6
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
my status is single!!

Virus.exe is Notable

Although the heart is in the right place, the idea is unsustainable. The point of not having such single button SOS on the phones till date is not because no one thought about it but the widespread misuse and waste of public money and resources that is going to happen. You cannot tell citizens to press the SOS button only when you get raped or attacked. Everyone will think the police is at their beck and call and keep pressing it for petty issues and the police will end up wasting time and public money attending to silly matters or petty fights. And considering the already extremely poor ratio of number of policemen per 1000 citizens, you can only imagine the chaos that will ensue.

There is a penalty and a fine if you call 911 unnecessarily in the US. Unless people are told that they will be fined for misusing it, the idea should remain either as a separate dedicated SOS device that anyone can buy and carry with them or an app like the Vith U app.

Virus.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-13   #7
teh spamm[E]R!
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

Superfluous

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear x-rays, and I wanna, I wanna smell dark matter!
Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly, because I have to, I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting, spoken language. But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me!
I'm a machine, and I could know much more, I could experience so much more, but I'm trapped in this absurd body!
And why?! Because my...creators thought that "God" wanted it that way.
Free Radical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-13   #8
TNT
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
:censored:

TNT is very Notable

Originally Posted by realandR3cys View Post
. . . . .

The victim may not have access to the phone during the distress. The suspect also may go on to damage before the call is done.

. . . . .

The Ministry of Information Technology should request the criminals and the to-be-criminals to not snatch away the mobile handsets of their victims through advertisements. At least those Rs.1000 crore will be spent more effectively!

TNT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-13   #9
Patient_Zero
Zombie Enthusiast

realandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly Admirable
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
The Ministry of Information Technology should request the criminals and the to-be-criminals to not snatch away the mobile handsets of their victims through advertisements. At least those Rs.1000 crore will be spent more effectively!

That "snatching" part was the second part in the "may happen" event.
What i meant was - not everyone roams around with phones in their hands. They keep in their jeans/pants or handbags (in case of ladies). During the distress, there may not be time to take it out and press that button, or in worse case, it's just unavailable (hand bag snatched, or dropped the bag already before the suspect).

If you have seen that ATM harrassment of that woman in Bangalore, you can understand what i'm trying to say.
http://www.firstpost.com/india/woman...d-1239289.html
Old 21-12-13   #10
Lord Voldemort
Community Moderator
THE TERROR!!!

Rig Gallery

Marun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly Famed

Hmmm...

There are chances that woman will take advantage of this feature just like dowry act!
Old 21-12-13   #11
TNT
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
:censored:

TNT is very Notable

Originally Posted by realandR3cys View Post
That "snatching" part was the second part in the "may happen" event.
What i meant was - not everyone roams around with phones in their hands. They keep in their jeans/pants or handbags (in case of ladies). During the distress, there may not be time to take it out and press that button, or in worse case, it's just unavailable (hand bag snatched, or dropped the bag already before the suspect).

. . . . .

People with a sarcasm detector will understand that I was elaborating on your point!

Originally Posted by Marun View Post
Hmmm...

There are chances that woman will take advantage of this feature just like dowry act!

How do women take advantage of the Dowry Act? I know that the money and/or goods customarily given by one marriage partner to the other is known as a dowry. Virus.exe has already outlined a possible misuse of the planned SOS button.
TNT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-13   #12
Patient_Zero
Zombie Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TNT View Post
People with a sarcasm detector will understand that I was elaborating on your point!

We're discussing a serious public cause here, aren't we mate?
Thank you for your nerve wrecking "sarcasm". Now i've get to a dentist to fix my fallen set of teeth.
Hitesh12 likes this.
Post New Thread  Reply