Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Buying Help > PC Buying Help
Register Forgot Password?

Old 06-01-17   #1
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Tired....

Icon1 PC Upgrade Suggestion Please

I had a discussion about half a year back regarding this, but I had to postpone my purchase due to some unavoidable reason. This time I am ready to go ahead with little more budget at hand.

I need help in buying/building a new PC. My budget and requirements are as follows:
  • Budget: 40K~50K
  • Existing hardware setup: 1. Intel Core2Duo 1.8GHz+ASUS P5B-VM MB+CoolerMaster Processor Fan
    2. HDDs- 1 IDE (80GB), 3 SATAII (160GB, 250GB, 500GB), 1 SATAIII (1TB), LG DVD writer
    3. 5GB DDR2 RAM (1+1+1+2)
    4. XFX HD4700 ATi GPU with 512MB DDR5 RAM
    5. SMPS- 460W Dual rail power supply (CoolerMaster)
    6. LG 25" IPS monitor
    7. JBL speaker
  • Components from the existing setup that you intend to keep: Monitor, SMPS, Speakers, DVD writer and HDDs
  • Components that you have in mind for your new PC: Graphics card
  • Plans to upgrade in the future: no, I like to make it future proof, as much as possible.
  • Places from where you will buy components along with your location: Kolkata
  • Are you comfortable with buying secondhand components from the Erodov market? : No
  • Intended use of the PC [gaming/office use/rendering/HD playback etc] : 1. General PC usage

2. Extensive use for editing Photos and Videos (I am a professional photographer). So I use resource heavy software like Ps, Lr etc.

3. Gaming - very rare

4. Movie watching
  • Brand preferences: anything but ASUS
  • Monitor resolution and size: do not need one
  • Will you be overclocking your setup?: absolutely NOT
  • Which OS will you use?: Windows 7

I thinking about at least 16GB RAM, a good Graphics Card and Intel Core i7 processor. I have nothing against AMD, but I can not compromise on processing power as that would mean longer processing time for each RAW file that I need to edit. So actually, I need a "lightning fast" PC.

I intend to retain the Monitor, SMPS, Speakers and HDDs for sure. Though I may have to ditch the IDE one, as it seems newer MBs do not incorporate IDE ports. I am not so sure about the Graphics card, whether to keep it or not.

Thank you.
Old 06-01-17   #2
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

bs1979 is Mysterious
Re: PC Upgrade Suggestion Please

Budget -64.8K

Intel Core i5 6500 -15000,
Gigabyte B150M-D3H -7000,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400Mhz -5000,
Antec VP550P -3500,
Sapphire RX470 8GB Nitro+ OC -20500,
Corsair SPEC-01 -3500,
Logitech MK200 -800.

Total -54,300.

If OP can wait for AMD Ryzen then their 8cores/16 threads or 4cores/8threads processors compete with Intel i5 or i7 processors for really good prices.

But OP needs to wait until March or they might be released in CES 2017.

Intel i7 non-k skylake chipset comes for 23k
So OP needs to increase his budget.
If OP just wants to do light gaming, then he can go with Zotac GTX1050 2GB @ 10k or Zotac GTX1050Ti 4GB Mini @ 12k

For the DirectX 12 games using Vulkan, AMD Polaris GPUs are best suited since they support on their hardware.

Nvidia uses or supports Vulkan using software.

As for PSU is concerned, OP can go with either cheaper Antec VP550P or solidly built Seasonic S12II 520w @ 5.5k

Never go with lower end Cooler Master B Series or Corsair VS Series.

CM B Series is the latest and your PSU is much older than that. So its better to change it, keeping in view of the stability & life of other components.
Intel Core i5 6600K | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | Kingston UV300 480GB SSD | Zotac GTX950 2GB OC | Seasonic M12II 620w | Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 | Corsair SPEC-01 | Cooler Master Hyper 212X | Dell ST2220L | Redgear MK881 RGB LED Mech Keyboard/Redgear G1 Laser Gaming Mouse | Logitech Z313 | Cooler Master Sickleflow 120mm X3 BLUE LED fans | APC BR1000G-IN 1KVA UPS | Windows 10 Pro x64 |

Last edited by bs1979; 06-01-17 at 08:41 AM.
bs1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17   #3
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Tired....

src2206 is very Honorablesrc2206 is very Honorable

Thank you for your reply..

I can wait, that's not a problem. Though I am curious to understand how i5 will be for apt for me instead of i7? Could you please clarify?
src2206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17   #4
teh nuB!
[E]onian
Ashes, The Rain and I.

Submerged is very HonorableSubmerged is very Honorable

All depends on your budget. If you can swing an i7, great. Otherwise the i5 will do a good job. If you really need an i7, you can get a 1050/1050 ti and go with an i7 6700.

Here are a couple of guides for photo/video editing PC builds based on budgets:
https://turbofuture.com/computers/Bu...oto-Editing-PC
Building the Best PC for Video Editing

If you can wait for Ryzen, you might not have to compromise on processing power. Everyone seems to have high hopes for AMD's upcoming chips and that they will be competitive once again.

Also like the other poster mentioned, buy a new PSU. Don't purchase expensive hardware and run it with lower quality PSUs. If you're buying a GPU like the 1050/1050 ti that doesn't require a PCI-E power connector and if you're not ocing, then maybe you can get by with what you have but I wouldn't risk it. Stay away from lower end Cooler Master, Corsair VS series & Antec BP series. Go with Seasonic or higher series from Antec/Corsair. A good 450-500W PSU is plenty enough for these newer, power efficient cards. Just make sure it belongs to a good series from a reputed brand.
PSU tier list 2.0 - Components - Tom's Hardware
Submerged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17   #5
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Tired....

Thank you for your response.

I have no problem in waiting for AMD's new launch and would be happy to embrace it if it provides same processing power as i7 at lesser cost. The only thing that bothers me is that it's "new", hence not tested. I do not change my workstation regularly and prefer to make it future-proof at least for 5 years, preferable more.

There is no question of overclocking.
In that case will my present PSU hold?
Could you please be specific on the models for a PSU?
Old 12-01-17   #6
teh nuB!
[E]onian
Ashes, The Rain and I.

Submerged is very HonorableSubmerged is very Honorable

Don't buy it right away. Since you don't mind waiting, wait for lots of reviews and benchmarks to come out first. Check them out, do your research and then buy. And if those Amd chips are competitive and well priced, then Intel will probably be forced to lower their prices so its a win win whichever side you decide to pick.

What model is that Cooler Master? Cause you've only mentioned the wattage. Check which tier it belongs to in Tom's PSU hierarchy or if its even on there. Like I said, a 450-500W PSU would be sufficient for your needs BUT a quality 450-500W unit. Cooler Master may be a reputed brand but their entry level PSUs are not quality units. I had a cheapo PSU once. Its 'wattage' was much more than what system pulled. Then one night it conked off, tripped the circuit breaker and got so hot, I could have easily fried an egg on it. Luckily the rest of my components were unaffected.

Do not go below Tier 3. Since you aren't going to OC, a PSU belonging to Tier 3 will do the job. The Antec VP series & Corsair CS/RM series belong to that category. If you want to step up a tier, go with a Seasonic s12ii/m12ii 520W PSU. Excellent PSUs.

Last edited by Submerged; 12-01-17 at 07:13 PM.
Submerged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-17   #7
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Tired....

Originally Posted by Submerged View Post
Don't buy it right away. Since you don't mind waiting, wait for lots of reviews and benchmarks to come out first. Check them out, do your research and then buy. And if those Amd chips are competitive and well priced, then Intel will probably be forced to lower their prices so its a win win whichever side you decide to pick.

What model is that Cooler Master? Cause you've only mentioned the wattage. Check which tier it belongs to in Tom's PSU hierarchy or if its even on there. Like I said, a 450-500W PSU would be sufficient for your needs BUT a quality 450-500W unit. Cooler Master may be a reputed brand but their entry level PSUs are not quality units. I had a cheapo PSU once. Its 'wattage' was much more than what system pulled. Then one night it conked off, tripped the circuit breaker and got so hot, I could have easily fried an egg on it. Luckily the rest of my components were unaffected.

Do not go below Tier 3. Since you aren't going to OC, a PSU belonging to Tier 3 will do the job. The Antec VP series & Corsair CS/RM series belong to that category. If you want to step up a tier, go with a Seasonic s12ii/m12ii 520W PSU. Excellent PSUs.
Thank you for your reply. I'll surely check the exact model as well as Tom's Hardware list and update the same here. I sure can wait, but sadly, can't put it off for another few months. It would be better for me to finish the process by the mid March at most, not beyond that.

In the meantime I am looking for a Laptop which may help me to share a bit of my workload. I was thinking about AMD based Laptops which appear to be little less priced than i5 ones. What is the opinion of fellow members here? Please share your thoughts.
Post New Thread  Reply