Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > General Hardware and Peripherals
Register Forgot Password?

Old 05-05-14   #1
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
getting into competitive CS
1.6 once more

PC Does Not Enter Bios, Restarts Frequently Within 8 Sec

Hi guys,

I am facing a weird problem since yesterday night.

My pc had accumulated huge dust and web, hence, I decided to clean the pc yesterday afternoon. I used a paint brush to clean the dust from the pc components. My pc components are in my signature.

After the cleaning was done, it was late, I had worked for 3 hours continuosly, and I had to go outside in the evening, I left the pc in that way for 4-5 hours, then started connecting the ports at about 11 pm (The motherboard, psu were already connected beforehand).

At about 11:40 pm, I had the connection complete and I went on to turn my pc on.

But alas, pc won't start. the pc does not go to bios even, just restarts again and again and again and again within 5-8 seconds.

The things that I tried are as following:

1. Take out the cmos battery to reset bios. That did not work.
2. Tried putting a sigle ram stick in eacha nd every of the four ram slots. That did not work.
3. Unplugged all the hdds and turned on the pc. That did not work.
4. Unplugged all peripherals (except keyboard, mouse) and turned on pc. That did not work.

Now I am confused, how to find out what the issue is. There was no power surge, no illegal shut down, no random freeze/restart what soever, the pc was running like an F1 race car all the way. But achanak, this issue came.

Until and unless I can identify what the problem is, I cannot go for an RMA/new purchase. Hence, asking for advice from you all.

Also, all the components cannot go bad all of a sudden. I am really really confused.

Thanks in advance,

Niladri.

P.S. - Saturday ony, i installed windows 8.1 in my pc.
i7 4790k @ 4 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus VII Ranger, 2 * 8 GB Corsair Vengeance pro 2133 Mhz, Asus GTX 970 Strix, Seasonic 1050 XM Gold, Samsung pro 256 GB ssd, 3 TB + storage, NZXT phantom, Steelseries Apex, Coolermaster Sentinel II Advance, League Of Legends Mousepad, NZXT Sentry, NZXT Hue, Asus pb298q
BULLZI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14   #2
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

nihit is very Notable
Re: PC Does Not Enter Bios, Restarts Frequently Within 8 Sec

Bullzi...any beeps? Is your motherboard speaker connected?
Asus VH222 22" Full HD | AMD X4 620 | Asus M4A78EM-1394 | XFX ATI 4650 1GB | 2 x 2 GB Kingston 800Mhz RAM | Seagate 1 x 250 GB, 1 x 1 TB, WD Green 1TB, Freeagent 500GB .. new entry : 1TB Seagate GoFlex ultraportable

Movie & TV series addict

nihit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14   #3
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
1.6 once more

BULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly Famed

^

Nah speaker not connected
Old 05-05-14   #4
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

nihit is very Notable

Connect "motherboard speaker". Hear for beeps and long/short beeps. Will help in diagonizing
Old 05-05-14   #5
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
1.6 once more

BULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly Famed

^

Hmm, ok but any idea what might be the reason?

The fan and motherboard lights turn on and off frequently in a timeframe of 5-8 seconds

Old 05-05-14   #6
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

nihit is very Notable

Check for any loose connections.
Check for any wrong connections / reversed / etc.
Try reconnecting and clearing any dust.
Old 05-05-14   #7
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
1.6 once more

Ok will try that tonight and post

Loose/wrong connection not possible as only the most essential components were attached - keyboard, 1 hdd and 1 ram stick. I started the pc from dedicated switch on mobo, same thing happens.
Old 05-05-14   #8
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Dream has no limit!!!

prosenjit is very Notable
Icon14 Re: PC Does Not Enter Bios, Restarts Frequently Within 8 Sec

Originally Posted by BULLZI View Post
^

Hmm, ok but any idea what might be the reason?

The fan and motherboard lights turn on and off frequently in a timeframe of 5-8 seconds

try the followings..

1. Check the bios reset jumper socket is proper place or not.

2. Connect SMPS and Motherboard with 4 pin speaker only. No RAM or Keyboard. Check weather your CPU boot starts and give you error signal for RAM.

If there were no response after No. 2 , Then you are in trouble...

1. Your BIOS get corrupted.

2. Your motherboard power section have an issue..
prosenjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14   #9
teh priesT!
[E]onian
Do It Yourself...

Rig Gallery

rakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Great

Have to take care of Static energy or Discharge while cleaning the PC. OR any chance metallic part of paint brush head can come in contact with main board circuit components.

Even after unplugging Main power from the PC, BIOS chip on motherboard is still getting 3.3V from CMOS battery so any contact with BIOS circuit may result in BIOS Problem.

Try unplug and than reconnect power connectors from main board.
Remove CPU from the socket. Blow some air on CPU Socket. and than re-install the CPU.

May be this can help.
November 2010
rakesh_sharma23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14   #10
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
1.6 once more

Thanks for the replies guyz.

yesterday night, I did some debugging and suddenly found out one led is blinking once/sec everytime the pc turns on, all the power phase leds stay well lit all the time before pc shuts down (the motherboard has got 10 phase power design), then within 5-8 secs, pc turns off and restarts again.

I opened the motherboard manual and found out that the led is of dual bios led which has following options:

1. Off - Normal
2. Blinks 1 cycle/sec - Primary bios has failed

I googled and found out some threads in other forums but nothing conclusional. I am still not sure what is the reason of bios failure. I did not do any overclock whatsoever. All settings are @stock.

Please help me how to resolve this bios corruption issue/recover the bios.

I cannot simply just RMA motherboard/get a new psu because google has let me know that for other cases, new psu/motherboard did not solve the issue at all.

Please suggest.
Old 06-05-14   #11
teh priesT!
[E]onian
Do It Yourself...

Rig Gallery

rakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Great

Reason of BIOS failure would might be some static discharge while cleaning of Mobo.

If your board is under warranty than go for RMA. Else local repair shop. BIOS might need to be re flashed.

Dont think their is any problem in PSU.
rakesh_sharma23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14   #12
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Dream has no limit!!!

I guess your mob has a secondary bios,

Read manual care fully to recover your bios from secondary...

Old 06-05-14   #13
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
1.6 once more

@rakesh

Thanks for your valuable input Rakesh. Is there any way other than RMA to re flash bios? MSI have stopped their services in India and I might not get RMA
@prosenjit

Thanks for your valuable suggestion. My motherboard has got dual bios but I do not know why second bios is not kicking in when primary one has failed. I will have a look of my motherboard manual once more but I doubt I will get option to recover primary bios rom secondary.
Old 06-05-14   #14
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
1.6 once more

I have gone thorugh the manual but there is nothing written about bios recovery.
Old 07-05-14   #15
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Dream has no limit!!!

Icon14 Re: PC Does Not Enter Bios, Restarts Frequently Within 8 Sec

Originally Posted by BULLZI View Post
I have gone thorugh the manual but there is nothing written about bios recovery.
Your motherboard support the following features...

**Flash AMI UEFI BIOS by USB Disk Under DOS Mode**

M-Flash
Compared to common motherboard which need extra BIOS chips, MSI’s M-Flash has a double advantage which doesn’t need extra components and secondly, all your BIOS data will be saved in the USB drive. The stored data does not only have backup and upgrade function, moreover it can also be seen as a portable BIOS chip which is actually able to boot up your PC.

Features
- Backup/Restore Your BIOS to/from Any USB Flash Disk
- Avoid Unnecessary Repair Due to Accident Failures During The Upgrading Process
- Earn more BIOS Lifespan by Reducing Unnecessary Rewriting Process

Try this:

MSI Global - Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Motherboard, Graphics and more

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

Flash AMI UEFI BIOS by USB Disk Under DOS Mode

• Know your model numbera. Open your case and look for the MS-XXXX number and the version number on the motherboard between the PCI slots

b. Boot up your system & press “delete” key to enter BIOS screen to double confirm BIOS version.
  • Download the BIOS that matches your motherboard and version number to your USB device.
  • Extract the BIOS-zip file that you have downloaded and paste it to your USB storage device
    (Note: Make sure that your USB is bootable).
  • Boot your system from a USB storage device
  • When you get the DOS prompt, execute the following sequence:
  • Reboot your system when prompted
  • After bios update is done, C: prompt will appear on your screen.
Post New Thread  Reply