Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Software Zone > Operating Systems
Register Forgot Password?

Old 24-10-08   #1
Banned
I havent set my status yet.

Partition lost ..os lost..help me...

Sorry if I am screaming but I have to.this is wat happened.

Last night I tried to install xp and vista.

I couldn't find my sp2 disc so I used another xp sp3 slip streamed disc, which also have some othr apps in it too.

I selected and formatted only one partition as ntfs. I am sure coz I did it a million times.the installation over and I clicked my comp and I can't find my last 3 50gb partitions. They are showing as a single 145gb free space.wat happened ?????..

I tried to use acronis disc director 10 to recovervthem,if I can. Bur aftr installation when I click the i con in desktop or start menu it just runs as a pgrm. I can't see any window. I tried opening a no. Of instance but no use.help me please.

During the xp pre-install format the other partitions were correct.

Now I am yet to try the acronis disc director boot disc, hope works.

Then I installed vista. And I have no dual boot menu. Wat is that?..

1. I observed tht at the os post-loading ther shows a mbr error or gdlr something .dunno it changes fast and I see a dualboot like menu for a sec.but it goes on to xp

2.I see a bootsect.bak file in vistapartition. I opened it. It says as read disc error, boot disc error somethings like tht.

3.I can't run the disc director here too.like before.

Please help me...those partitions have lOts of family..frnds...college photos..and loads others..it was not backed up..... Thinking it was in another partition.....but....

I haven't formatted it or anything ..please help me .....

Jerin.
|PC - Dell Inspiron 15R - i3 M530 | 3GB DDR3 | 320GB | ATi 5470 512MB | WD My Passport 500GB | Edifier R600USB | MS Mobile 3500 | CM NotePal X-Lite| D/L - D410PT | 1GB DDR3 | 500GB | APEX MI-100| HTPC - AMD A6 3500 | MSI A75MA-G55 | 4GB DDR3 | CM Elite 431 Plus | OCZ Agility 3 60 GB SSD | CM Real Power 750 | A/V - Samsung LA32D550K1R | Optoma GT720 | Logitech Mini PC Entertainment Dinovo Keyboard | AOC i2353PH | PS3 80GB | XBOX 360 Arcade | Z5500D | 25 TB | Logitech MOMO Wheel | APC 1KV | Click - Canon 500D + BG | 18-55 IS | MC-36R | Vanguard Up-Rise 16Z | Lowepro Fastpack 350 | Portable - Clip+ 4GB + 16 GB + MEElectronics M6 | Nexus 4 8GB | PS Vita 3G | iPod Touch 5G 32 GB | Kindle Paperwhite | AudioTechnica M50 |
m-JeRi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-08   #2
Half-Demon Gun Slinger
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r

Hells_Fury is highly AdmirableHells_Fury is highly AdmirableHells_Fury is highly AdmirableHells_Fury is highly AdmirableHells_Fury is highly AdmirableHells_Fury is highly Admirable
Re: Partition lost ..os lost..help me...

A similar thing happened to me a while back. Looks like your MBR is corrupted. I don't really remember exactly what I did to recover my data, but I do know that I used TestDisk to repair my MBR and then used GetDataBack to recover all my data. I think there tools are there on Hiren's Boot CD, but I'm not sure. Sorry I could'nt be more helpful but I just cannot remember the exact steps I took
Hells_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-08   #3
Banned

m-JeRi is highly Admirablem-JeRi is highly Admirablem-JeRi is highly Admirablem-JeRi is highly Admirablem-JeRi is highly Admirable

For Gods Sake Dear Friend..

please try to remember and help me out....
Old 24-10-08   #4
Banned

m-JeRi is highly Admirablem-JeRi is highly Admirablem-JeRi is highly Admirablem-JeRi is highly Admirablem-JeRi is highly Admirable

and i only got getdatback as a demo or trial???
Old 24-10-08   #5
Half-Demon Gun Slinger
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r

Hells_Fury is highly AdmirableHells_Fury is highly AdmirableHells_Fury is highly AdmirableHells_Fury is highly AdmirableHells_Fury is highly AdmirableHells_Fury is highly Admirable

getdataback is there on Hirens boot CD...
Hells_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-08   #6
Banned

kk cool ...

u sure i can get my data back??? how did it became a free space in the first place???
and what abt the dual boot thing?? why dont i get the menu??? the time out is 30s..i checked??
Old 24-10-08   #7
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

The data you have is in a very fragile state now.... the more things you try to do the more the damage will occur...your best shot will be to try out one recovery soft which you are pretty sure will work.
Old 24-10-08   #8
Banned

^^^

and that is.... please pray tell...
Old 24-10-08   #9
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

I'm not sure what will work, if at all in this case. There is no assurance that your data will ever be recovered using any software..... what is the make of your HDD may I ask..?
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-08   #10
Banned

...seagate..250 GB... last 3 50 GB partitions are the ones
Old 24-10-08   #11
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

You can Try SeaTools For DOS from here : Seagate Technology - SeaTools

Create a bootable disk of this and run a full diagnostic, and see if it says that it can recover it.

It runs on its own OS and is pretty good and does the least damage even if the recovery fails. read the instructions very carefully before using it. This kind of thing takes a lot of time so be patient. Another thing is that there should be uninterrupted power supply while the recovery attempt is made. I hope you have no power cuts in your area or have sufficient backup for the PC to run for hours. If power goes off unexpectedly during the recovery operation then the data will be more damaged than before.

Let me warn you once again there is no assurance that this will work.
Old 24-10-08   #12
Banned

... i cant believe it...this much tech and no soln...
Old 24-10-08   #13
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by m-JeRi View Post
...seagate..250 GB... last 3 50 GB partitions are the ones
Happens buddy.. ... welcome to the world of PC experimentation. It was extremely naive of you to try all those experiments without fully backing up your data. now you know better.

No worry ... old stuff has to go away anyway. you will get new data over time. cheers and best of luck.

Old 24-10-08   #14
Banned

^^^

That is not just Data ..

It have over 6 years of photos..family..my college times...church frnds...i cant lose it....

i thght always keep it off the OS partition and it will be ok... i have done this like a million time... and i have no idea what happend this time... there was no mistake from mypart..as it was a automated install...whic i have used abt 10 time before on my pc and my lap..and my bros lap..and on my frnd pc itself..abt 4 times last week...

i contacted some recovery folks... they say the min charge will be 750/- ... then the data to be on the DVD's... i have abt 140 GB data in it.... 140 / 4 --> 35 *10 --> 350

so the min bill is 1100/-.
Old 24-10-08   #15
Let me be honest !
Banned

MaxAxe is sickeningly DreadfulMaxAxe is sickeningly DreadfulMaxAxe is sickeningly DreadfulMaxAxe is sickeningly Dreadful

1stly dont panic ... and dont experiment while booting from the same disk.

1st thing you need to do is ... use another system or hdd at least to boot from and then try to recover data from this HDD. Using GetDataBack for NTFS. and dont copy the data to the same drive you're covering it from .... and by drive I dont mean just partition ... i mean the physical drive itself. This could take some time so ensure there is no chance of power failure during the process.

Recover your data before you do any repair the boot records.

"Genius is one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration. Accordingly, a 'genius' is often merely a talented person who has done all of his or her homework." - Thomas A Edison
MaxAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply