Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Interesting News on the Web
Register Forgot Password?

Old 10-03-10   #1
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
Newegg Counterfeit CPU Mess Finally Resolved

Newegg Counterfeit CPU Mess Finally Resolved

Guilty party is revealed; customers will get their refunds

Early this week, multiple reports popped up that Newegg shipped fake Intel Core i7 CPUs to customers unknowingly. HardOCP reported that D&H Distributing was to blame. Then came news that D&H had sent a cease and desist letter to HardOCP, requesting they "remove the contact and any reference to D&H from your website" and "post an immediate retraction and apology which shall remain posted for not less than thirty days."

Now the reason for that response has become apparent; while fake CPUs were indeed shipped, they came from an entirely different supplier, IPEX. D&H, who does ship legitimate Core i7s, was apparently a perfectly innocent party that became caught up in a mess of upset people jumping to the wrong conclusions.

Newegg has released a statement to the customers affected assuring them that they will be taken care of. It writes:

Originally Posted by Newegg
Newegg is currently conducting a thorough investigation surrounding recent shipments of questionable Intel Core i7-920 CPUs purchased from Newegg.com.

Initial information we received from our supplier, IPEX, stated that they had mistakenly shipped us "demo units." We have since come to discover the CPUs were counterfeit and are terminating our relationship with this supplier. Contrary to any speculation, D&H Distributing is not the vendor that supplied us with the Intel Core i7-920 CPUs in question.

Newegg's top priority is to proactively reach out to all customers who may have been affected to ensure their absolute satisfaction. We have already sent out a number of replacement units and are doing everything in our power to resolve the matter promptly and with the least amount of inconvenience to our customers.

We have always taken pride in providing an exceptional experience for each customer, and we apologize for any inconvenience to our valued customers. We take matters like this extremely seriously, and are working in close cooperation with Intel and the appropriate law enforcement authorities to thoroughly investigate this incident.

Initially, Newegg had claimed that the shipped units (which numbered at 300 according to at least one estimate) were demo units. The site now realizes that they were complete fakes.

A video from one of the customers who received the fakes can be found here. It shows a box that looks like an Intel box, but bears clear spelling errors. Inside there's a chunk of plastic that looks like a fan, but is not, a blank manual with a single staple, and a metal "CPU" with no pinouts.

For anyone who received one of the defective units, you can contact Newegg's customer service. And it seems like some sites in the online news community indeed owe D&H, typically an outstanding supplier, an apology for smearing their good name.

Source: DailyTech - Newegg Counterfeit CPU Mess Finally Resolved
Old 10-03-10   #2
Heligoland
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Hibernating.

SidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly Famed
Re: Newegg Counterfeit CPU Mess Finally Resolved

Thats good news,all's well that ends well

I was commenting on the absurdity of the assumption that Mario>Freeman

To qualify my statement - Mario is an Italian immigrant plumber who spends his life chasing a dame who refuses to let him bang her.

Freeman is a physicist who saves the world (multiple times) with a crowbar. And he manages to get Alyx Vance to fall in love with him without needing mushrooms, stars or jumping on enemies.
SidK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-10   #3
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

So the point is that FAKE CPU's were shipped and that the customers were right !!
It is time to think whether an Indian mentality vendor is behind all this or Nigerian... Or even Pakistaani. LOLz
All's well that ends well.
I salute the power of Internet. * Lauds the internet *

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-10   #4
teh geeK!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

sahilm is highly Admirablesahilm is highly Admirablesahilm is highly Admirablesahilm is highly Admirablesahilm is highly Admirablesahilm is highly Admirablesahilm is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr View Post
It is time to think whether an Indian mentality vendor is behind all this or Nigerian... Or even Pakistaani. LOLz
What an absurd remark.
These days, Common sense = freaking genius.
sahilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-10   #5
Semper foo
Ignorance is Bliss

SignOps is extremely Renowned
SignOps is extremely RenownedSignOps is extremely RenownedSignOps is extremely Renowned

Here's the Unboxing link for the fake stuff:

Hands On: Unboxing the Fake Intel Core i7-920 - Gearlog

SignOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-10   #6
Certified Insane
[E]onian

The Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scale
The Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scale

lol! There's a failed article from pc world to highlight the "advantages" over fake intel processors against genuine i7 processors
The Sorcerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10   #7
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renowned
stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned

So D&H just panicked? That's hilarious. They must pay their legal department more than Apple.
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10   #8
teh zeuS!
FUUUUU !

Stuge is extemely Distinguished
Stuge is extemely DistinguishedStuge is extemely DistinguishedStuge is extemely DistinguishedStuge is extemely DistinguishedStuge is extemely DistinguishedStuge is extemely DistinguishedStuge is extemely DistinguishedStuge is extemely Distinguished

OMG ! now unboxing videos of fake cpus
Stuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10   #9
teh priesT!
[E]onian
thinking of / buying gadgets

Dr.Hojay is highly AdmirableDr.Hojay is highly AdmirableDr.Hojay is highly AdmirableDr.Hojay is highly AdmirableDr.Hojay is highly AdmirableDr.Hojay is highly AdmirableDr.Hojay is highly Admirable

that's some crazy sh1t.
|CoolerMaster Sniper Cabinet|
|Alienware M14x|
|Samsung Galaxy S4+Note II |
|Canon 600D|
|PS3|
Dr.Hojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10   #10
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
bleh

Aumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly Admirable

Lol. Maybe D&H required Newegg as a bigger source of income than anything else.
Desktop - Core i5 4670K - 4.2Ghz @ 1.16v | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 | Gigabyte Z87-D3HP | Sapphire R7 250X 1GB DDR5 | HD555 | Fiio E7 | Ikari Optical | TVS Gold | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD + Seagate 7200.10 500GB | Seagate Expansion 2TB USB3 | BenQ GW2255HM

Mobile - iPhone 5S Gold 16GB - 7.0.3 Jailbroken; Nexus 7 - Stock 4.4.2; Skullcandy Ink'd 2 Headset.
Aumkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply