Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Buying Help > PC Buying Help
Register Forgot Password?

Old 06-09-12   #16
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Re: New PC Required As Per This Usage

Originally Posted by hawk View Post
Yes, along with the sofware, red rocket card, DeckLink HD Extreme 3D, etc ... but I don't really ve permission to post all the details from they guys I'm making for. Maybe when its all done, I'll post pics and specs.
@3dsmaxed custom cooling is not only for overclocking, its for stability. Lemme explain...
The stock cooler is good enuff for basic 6~8hrs of daily usage (not 24/7). Its made for 30~70% CPU loads (not constant ~100% loads). Its not capable of handling sudden spikes (in voltage and loads). Its v.noisy at high loads and will still make the system unstable. By adding a custom cooler, U are giving the freedom and liberty the system need to perform at 100% loads with as much voltage as it needs.

If budget is not an issue, I'd go full on and make a workstation with an Supermicro X9DA7 mainboard with 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620/30/40 (6cores/12threads) or E5-2650/60/65/70/80/87/90 (8cores/16threads)
Check link for price and other details: Buy Boxed Processor

Plz check the links and costs ... and if U think U can manage that in Ur new budget, tell us which CPU and we can configure a workstation with those CPUs/board. If not dual, then let us know whether U'd prefer to go with a SB-E single 3930K based rig or Ivy based 3770K based rig .. or do U want us to configure 3 diff systems based on the abv 3 types?

Attaboy .... Waaayyyyy to Go on your Resolve. All da best (Just an afterthought abt my workstation ..... we went thru hell configuring the Aja Kona 3G ..... first Video, then Audio & finally a firmware upgrade did the job).

Thanks also for explaining to OP the importance of an aftermarket CPU cooler so succintly ...... in fact I would go further in mentioning that if OP choses to use a Quadro 4000 or 5000 [in a non-AC environment] ..... then he had better use a GPU Cooler too like "Arctic Accelero Hybrid Graphics Card Cooler"..... [the Quadro 5000 is a bloomin Heater in just about 25-30 mins]
@3dsmaxed ....... methinks you gotta think carefully what is best suited for your purpose. It has to be a Workstation Build ..... PERIOD. Now, what is best single/dual CPU based Xeons or Sandybridge-E? Remember the higher you go up the ladder ..... the better is the performance & the output + time saved.

I'm moving out now and it's over to @hawk whose experience in these builds (workstations/servers/****intosh's) is more upto-date and varied....... oops I am not suppo'sd to blurt out the details (gotcha mate)

Wishing you godspeed in this exciting venture.

Terry
System: i7-3770K | Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H WB Wi-Fi | ASUS GTX 660Ti DirectCUII-Top Ed | Noctua NH-C14 | 16GB RipjawsZ @ 1866Mhz | Ocz Vertex4 128GB SSD | Seasonic X760W Modular | Seagate 1TB + 2TB | Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM | CM Storm Stryker | CM Excalibur 120mm Fan | Lian-Li SATA cables | WD 2 + 2TB | Waiting to hackintosh soon

Etcetra
: LG47" LED 4600 series| WD TV Live Hub| WD 1TB | Seagate 2TB usb3 | Sherwood Blu-ray player BDP-5004 | Technics SGC-770 5.1 - 460W music system with Turntable| Nikon D5000 with 18-55 & 55-300mm | Sound-Blaster Audigy Platinum|htc wildfire S | over 250 vinyl's | AMD Athlon 1800 antique PC !!!

@WORK - Avid DS v11 on Dual Xeon E5649/ Intel S5520SC Board/ 48GB RAM/ 60GB x 2 Intel SSD/ Quadro 5000 / 8TB Storage 15000RPM drives on RAID 6/ Cinetal Broadcast monitor/
Aja Kona 3G IO card / Awaiting HP Dreamcolor Monitor
terencefdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12   #17
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

3dsmaxed is very Notable

Thanks hawk and terry for ur help

I think i will go for the 3930K processor as of now as i keep building machines every year or less.
So please suggest me a rig with that. Also as far as GPU is concerned i havent used a quadro before so i cant say is its better than AMD v5900 or vice versa. SO i can make a choice between quadro 2000 or 4000 when i take a final call

Regarding colors as terry asked, i am happy with colors of my Dell U2312 that i purchased with my last rig and i dont mind something like that or a tad higher .We dont do brochure design or any other graphics work and for 3d renderings colors this Monitor is more than good for now and actually this component can be bought later if need be.

So guys please suggest me a final rig based on all this so that i can start taking quotes from vendors. also in case of SMPS please give 2 3 options as by experience i can tell he might not have the exact SMPS with him .

SO 3930K
Mobo---????????
GPU----quadro 2000 or quadro 4000
Cabinet?----- should be able to fit all the components
SMPS
RAM...???????........Also i can go with 16GB as of now if that helps reduce the price
UPS......for safety
MOnitor?
Cooler?

amd anything else u=you want to add?

Thanks guys
3dsmaxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12   #18
⎝ᄽ⏝⏠⎠
Community Moderator
Procreating =8)~

hawk is extremely Renowned
hawk is extremely Renownedhawk is extremely Renownedhawk is extremely Renowned

Processor: 3930K ~37K

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD ~16K thou I'd prefer ASUS Sabertooth X79 ~24K

RAM: Gskill SNIPER 32GB RAM F3-1866C10Q-32GSR ~15K (Its really imp for U to ve atleast 32GB of RAM .. U'll know why as soon as U start using it)

GPU: atleast Quadro 2000 but Quadro 4000 would be far better. Do get a GPU cooler along!

SSD & HDD: As Terry suggested:-
Use an 60GB SDD for O/S; a second one 256GB for current projects & installation of other softwares; and a smaller one 32GB as a scratch drive. For your remaining storage needs - pick 2TB - 7200 rpm sata6 disks.
PSU: Seasonic X760 (SS760KM) ~9K

Monitor: Dell Dell U2412 HM ~20K

Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P SE14 ~4.5K

Chassis: BitFenix Raider Gunmetal Window Edition/Antec Nine Hundred/Corsair Carbide Series 500R ~7K

UPS: no clue - neva needed in Mumbai

Comes to ~1.38L (with giga UD3 & without the GPU/UPS)
HDD: 2+3TB WD Black SATA3 & 512+256GB Samsung 850 pro
GPU: Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming WATERFORCE GTX 1080 @ 1759MHz (core) 1276MHz (mem) 1898MHz (boost)
PSU: SeaSonic X Series X850 Gold
Case & Cooler: Corsair 760T Black Red & H110i in Push Pull
hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12   #19
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

terencefdes is very Notable

Excellent config @hawk ...... may I just add a few options (just in case OP does not get it from his local dealer)

NOTE: If any of these suggested components are not available with your local dealer then please check with us the alternatives that he has (for performance and compatibility issues). You could also buy certain things online & hand it over to your assembler.

OPTIONS & re-emphasising a few things

Motherboard : The Asus X79 board suggested earlier
RAM : 32 GB ......... a must (no compromises)
SSD : OCZ 128GB Vertex 4 ......... 7.8K .... CHECK THIS PLACE TO BUY SSD'S ONLINE IN INDIA
.......... or Go for the SSD config I had suggested

PSU : Corsair AX750 [Fully Modular] or HX750 [Semi Modular]

Monitor : Dell U2312HM ........ 15.5K or 15K [ this is a minor step down from the 24" but saves you 5K]

CPU Cooler : Most Noctuas are Available at Flipkart [if the suggested model is not available then check others & compatibility with LGA2011]

GPU Cooler : In case OP goes for Quadro 4000 then fitting a 3rd party cooler would void the warranty (Advice needed @hawk )

CABINET: The Antec [ Note: front-side usb 3.0 ports absent ] and about the Corsair 500R (not sure about this one as it's body build is not very sturdy; wobbles) ........ the Bit Fenix is good to go.

What do you think about the NZXT Switch 810 ........ amazing cooling options (by fitting additional fans ... that can be angled towards the GPU and thus protect the Quadro 4000 .... so no need for a GPU cooler) ..... check this

http://i.imgur.com/dUyKh.png

Further details of the above build [Build Log] - NZXT Switch 810 White - (Useful for first time builders)

Additional Fans : Go for 3 or 6 additional 120mm/140mm Case Fans [check which size is applicable for your chosen cabinet] ....... Go for Deep Cool Brand or Scythe [Flipkart]

UPS : APC ..... What load/ capacity/backup time/cost not sure

Last edited by terencefdes; 07-09-12 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-09-12   #20
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

3dsmaxed is very Notable

Thanks Terry and hawk

Please suggest a GPU cooler in case i decide to go for quadro 4000.
Old 08-09-12   #21
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

Originally Posted by 3dsmaxed View Post
Thanks Terry and hawk

Please suggest a GPU cooler in case i decide to go for quadro 4000.
QUADRO 4000

Fantastic Decision but just need you to answer this -
Where will this workstation be placed [Would it be in a AC temperature controlled environment ] whenever it is being used or
Non-AC environment [Just room ceiling fans] .... ?

If your answer is the latter then - I NEED HELP @hawk et al (I have no experience of using a GPU Cooler with the Quadro's ).

I can only share my own experiences, with the Quadro 5000 (no 3rd party gpu cooler) - if for whatever reason, the AC in my room stop's cooling - then I have to shut down the workstation within 25-30 mins as the 5000 becomes a boiler & crashes the system.

Give me time till Monday to see what options for GPU cooling are possible (ideally look out for a cooler that fits atop the existing one - saftest bet & will not void the warranty with Nvidia) ......... the other option involves CAREFUL DISMANTLING OF THE ORIGINAL HEATSINK ETC & then to fit in a 3rd party cooler ...... this kind of modding needs to be done by an experienced person.

meanwhile check these

CGTalk - Replacement heatsink for Quadro 4000? or replacement case for z400?
[Solved] Quadro 4000 idle temperature - Graphics-Cards - Graphic-Displays
Newegg.com - PNY VCQ4000-PB Quadro 4000 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Workstation Video Card

which particular brand of Quadro will you be picking - leadtek; pny ???
Old 08-09-12   #22
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

3dsmaxed is very Notable

its ac office but what will happen during powercuts?
also brand u can suggest .

thanks again for ur time and patience

respect
Old 08-09-12   #23
⎝ᄽ⏝⏠⎠
Community Moderator
Procreating =8)~

Alright - just spoke to Leadtek India rep... being a (2nd) Saturday of the month, she couldn't gimme much info. But she promised she'll talk to the technical team and lemme know if replacing the stock HS, void's the warranty or not .. she'll also find out the stock, retail cost and availability and lemme know by Monday.

That said, the NZXT Switch 810 suggested by Terry, seems awesome. with proper airflow, I don't think quadro 4000 would go bad so soon ... even if it does, Leadtek offers 3 yrs local warranty.

Lets wait till Monday and see what they ve to say abt swapping the stock heatsink...
terencefdes likes this.
Old 08-09-12   #24
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

3dsmaxed is very Notable

Alright - just spoke to Leadtek India rep... being a (2nd) Saturday of the month, she couldn't gimme much info. But she promised she'll talk to the technical team and lemme know if replacing the stock HS, void's the warranty or not .. she'll also find out the stock, retail cost and availability and lemme know by Monday.

That said, the NZXT Switch 810 suggested by Terry, seems awesome. with proper airflow, I don't think quadro 4000 would go bad so soon ... even if it does, Leadtek offers 3 yrs local warranty.

Lets wait till Monday and see what they ve to say abt swapping the stock heatsink...
sounds good.
Old 08-09-12   #25
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

its ac office but what will happen during powercuts?
also brand u can suggest .

thanks again for ur time and patience

respect
Hey ... m just trolling in for a few secs ...... RELAX ... Go for APC UPS with some sufficient backup time (15-30 mins at least).... Now the problem is, if you keep your system on during the nights for renders .... and then the POWER GOES OFF .... NO SWEAT ... The UPS will auto shut down your system just before the designated cut-off time.

GLAD TO KNOW THAT THIS WORKSTATION IS GONNA B HOUSED IN AN AC Environment ..... lol ... 80 percent of ur heating tension is solved remaining is 20 percent is Power-cuts ......... ahhhhh blame the Govt. lol

sounds good.
Great going @hawk ....... muaaaaah [Nvidia INDIA may twist & turn & change their warranty & support when we f*@k up with their darling Quadros ..... SO lets explore the possibilities of fitting a GPU Cooler over the existing device ...... if at all it exists] .....

I have still not researched about the heating up of the 4000 .... the NZXT Switch 800 will definately HELP .... perhaps better than many other "off-the-shelf" or even more premium cabby's.... BUT STILL, WITH Quadro's 4000 & above .... we ought to be 100% sure.
Old 10-09-12   #26
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

3dsmaxed is very Notable

Hi guys

Any updates?
also terry i dont keep the AC on when renderings happen during night.Keep that in mind when u suggest something :-). quadro 4000 seems like a very sophisticated card when it comes to heating. i hope it doesnt make life more complicated. i would rather go for quadro 2000 in that case. also whats the performance of GTX series cards over these cards? just curious

Please advise.

Thanks
Old 10-09-12   #27
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

Sangzeel is very Notable

Hey max. You don't have to worry about long render duration with any gpu as they don't really render the final image. Only job of gpu is to show you the live work in progress(like your viewports or stage ect). Final image is just a cpu calculation(s) which depends on what we have asked or instructed the cpu to do, build, create or other settings ect. During rendering you primary focus should be on keeping your cpu cool with proper ventilation and cooler.-)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8 Cores - 3600 MHz - 65 watts Motherboard: TUF B450M-PRO GAMING Cooling: MSI Core Frozr L Memory: Vengeance® RGB PRO 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz Memory Kit — Black Video Card: nVidia RTX 2070 Super FE SSD(s)/Hard Disk(s): Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | Intel SSD 520 120GB | 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB Optical Drive: Samsung DVD RW 24x LCD Model: Dell UltraSharp U2410f Monitor | Dell SP2208WFP Sound Card: Inbuilt Speakers/HS: Bose Companion 5 Power Supply: Corsair AX860 Enclosure: Obsidian Series™ 350D (Windowed) Case Fans: 1x HD120 RGB LED | 2x HD140 RGB LED Keyboard/Mouse: MS *cheap one | Logitech G300 | Corsair MM200 standard Mouse Mat Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64 OEM(IND) Pwr-Backup: APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 1000. Console+Handled: Playstation 4 CUH-1200 | XBOX One | PSP 3004 | iPad Pro 11 | Sega Dreamcast(still alive).
Sangzeel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-12   #28
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

Hi guys

Any updates?
also terry i dont keep the AC on when renderings happen during night.Keep that in mind when u suggest something :-). quadro 4000 seems like a very sophisticated card when it comes to heating. i hope it doesnt make life more complicated. i would rather go for quadro 2000 in that case. also whats the performance of GTX series cards over these cards? just curious

Please advise.

Thanks
I was waiting for any feedback from @hawk about modding the Quadro 4000 for fixing a GPU cooler & warranty. Anyways, I think it's risky business especially if not done by an experienced person.

That apart, there are exclusive VGA Cooler's that may do the job for us on the Quadro 4000 .... however, I am hardpressed for time & cannot locate any that is optimized and designed for the 4000. Plus I do not think they would be available in India (you will have to order it from abroad).

Although the Quadro 4000 & upwards are phenomenal cards for CGI (amazing stability; robust driver support & performance even when used 24 x 7 ); however the "heating" issues ....... especially when used in an non-AC environment at times + being very, very expensive puts it out of one's reach in many situations. Hopefully the next gen coming out in 2013-14 will solve this issue.

So what are the options we have now

1] Go for Quadro 2000 ...... [not great as compared with
2] GTX - yes they all work
Go through this article again (if you have not done so to clear all your querries ) Page 2 of 3 for Adobe Premiere CS6, CS5 and CS5.5 Video Cards
see also some VGA cooling solutions on page 2

At home, over 95% of all my colleagues are using Nvidia GTX cards - Go for Asus directCU II type GPU's [this has excellent built in heatsinks & cooling capabilities] or any other brand that's factory over-clocked.

these are good
GTX 570; 580 & 680
Again not sure how dual GPU based cards perform ....eg GTX 690 (as most CGI softwares utilise only 1 GPU). Lastly, it is not true that the most expensive GTX cards or one's with maximum CUDA cores or RAM perform the best ..... this is a mystery, but true.

3] You have been using ATI Firepro cards - Now if you have never faced any issues with all the existing softwares that you use, you may continue with Firepro next level than what you already have. Are you planning to use any newer Softwares that have not been tested on Firepro ?

some links
Quadro (best available) vs Other Graphics Cards - Autodesk Discussion Groups
Quadro 4000 VS GTX 680 for Video encoding and editing - Graphics-Cards - Graphic-Displays
Area :: Discussions
CGTalk - gtx 670 vs quadro 600, 2000 4000 for workstation.

hope this helps

Terry
Old 10-09-12   #29
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

3dsmaxed is very Notable

hi terry. the softwares like adoe after effects and premiere are used very rarely in our office. our main usage is of 3dsmax and vray. otherwise my v 5800 is also working fine with these. 3dsmax doesnt use cuda cores as of now and same is for vray. vray Rt does but actual render happens withe the vray plugin and not vray RT. its more of interactive rendering update within the viewport.
the links u posted do say good things about gtx680.

will have to ask cg specific forums for this topic i guess

thanks
terencefdes likes this.
Old 10-09-12   #30
⎝ᄽ⏝⏠⎠
Community Moderator
Procreating =8)~

I head back from Leadtek distries .. you can contact Mr.Gagan Jain on 9501177884 for leadtek workstation GPUs. Do ask him their RMA policy regarding using custom coolers on their workstation GPUs.
terencefdes likes this.
Post New Thread  Reply