Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Laptops and Netbooks
Register Forgot Password?

Old 19-02-10   #1
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
Diabolical like Biz Markie

Netbook for Dad - Availability Check

I've been eying the ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1201N-PU17-BK 12.1-Inch Black Netbook for my dad:

Is this netbook locally available? If it is, is there any word on the pricing? I'm not in the 'Want to Buy' phase as of now and so, I'm open to suggestions about other netbooks in the same price range if they can top the specs of this one.

Last edited by Cyn1c; 19-02-10 at 11:50 AM.
Cyn1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-10   #2
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble
Re: Netbook for Dad - Availability Check

This is sweet netbook, dual core atom, nVidia ION platform, hdmi out and what not.
I dont think it is available here, will wait for the thread progress.

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-10   #3
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

JD666 is highly ProminentJD666 is highly ProminentJD666 is highly Prominent

i like the 12 inch screen.. thats a very decent config actually with a good viewing area as well.. But no i dont think its available.. the closest would be the MSI 10 incher or the Acer one or something..
JD666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-10   #4
teh spamm[E]R!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

I had shortlisted this as a candidate but the price for which its supposed to retail at (~25k INR) was a big let down for me.
At that price, you can buy 2x Samsung N128s.

At that price, better buy a Acer Aspire AS1410 with SU2300 (dual core CULV), a lot more powerful than the Atom dual core, slightly less battery life and may play 1080p with CoreAVC out of the box or after adding a miniPCIe decoder

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear x-rays, and I wanna, I wanna smell dark matter!
Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly, because I have to, I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting, spoken language. But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me!
I'm a machine, and I could know much more, I could experience so much more, but I'm trapped in this absurd body!
And why?! Because my...creators thought that "God" wanted it that way.
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-10   #5
Semper foo
Ignorance is Bliss

SignOps is extremely Renowned
SignOps is extremely RenownedSignOps is extremely RenownedSignOps is extremely Renowned

What about the Acer Aspire One 532g.
NVIDIA ION 2
Optimus technology
LCD can display 720p
10 hour battery life

SignOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-10   #6
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Cyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply Great

1. I don't trust Acer
2. It's too gaudy
Old 19-02-10   #7
teh spamm[E]R!
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

Dude, think about it 2x N128s for the price of 1 netbook. That's entry level laptop range. Does your dad need something portable or something comfortable.
Old 19-02-10   #8
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Cyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply GreatCyn1c is simply Great

Originally Posted by Free Radical View Post
Dude, think about it 2x N128s for the price of 1 netbook. That's entry level laptop range. Does your dad need something portable or something comfortable.
12.1 screen size is a must because dad will be typing a lot of documents. I have to take care of his aging eyes. I hog too much time on my 24" screen and he has to rely on me to type his documents and get them printed or have an e-mail sent.

The primary usage would be:

1. Docs
2. Browsing (lots of it)
3. Youtube HD (My mom's addicted)
4. Movies (preferably HD that I'll be hooking up to the netbook via an external 160GB)
5. Portability. Mom or Dad should be able to carry it around.
6. Streaming cricket/football matches

I was considering the NC20 and even a Toshiba for that matter. But for some reason, 1201N seems to trump them here and there.
Old 19-02-10   #9
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

^^ can i suggest a HCL laptop... i got one for a friend.. ~ 23-24k, it has a 15 inch widescreen, the keyboard layout is the kind we have on desktops with the extra numerical keypad on the right hand side. Its got 2 gigs of ram, runs a Core2Duo, 160GB, DVD-R.. only gripe, its bulky.. but then it does the work, is easy on the eyes, and has a lot more grunt than a netbook...
Old 19-02-10   #10
teh spamm[E]R!
-

Rig Gallery

Even 12.1" is not big enough for your dad, especially for spreadsheets. It would be best if you see it in person first

From the amazon link budget ($400 (₨ 19,000)-$550 (₨ 25,500)). there are several better laptops in that range, even a 13" one.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_link_85318851_26?ie=UTF8&node=565108|67951 7011&field-price=40000-54999&field-availability=-1&emi=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s= center-5&pf_rd_r=16P2X819TFTM6Q8KBQMJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p =100851542&pf_rd_i=565108

Originally Posted by JD666 View Post
^^ can i suggest a HCL laptop... i got one for a friend.. ~ 23-24k, it has a 15 inch widescreen, the keyboard layout is the kind we have on desktops with the extra numerical keypad on the right hand side. Its got 2 gigs of ram, runs a Core2Duo, 160GB, DVD-R.. only gripe, its bulky.. but then it does the work, is easy on the eyes, and has a lot more grunt than a netbook...
exactly. At that budget, a netbook doesn't make sense unless its a tablet
Old 19-02-10   #11
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Thanks JD, I won't count that out. Noted it down so that I don't forget it later on

FR & SignOps: TBH, I've been swooned by the Aspire One and NC10 in the past but we're talking about India here. Acer's service is immaculate in North America but here, I doubt it. Samsung, can't say.
I've had one bad experience with ASUS and so, I try to stay away from it. Is there anything apart from an Acer/Samsung that comes close to the specs of the 1201N?
Old 19-02-10   #12
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

i just wanna add, HCL aint that bad a company.. i saw the laptop and i was impressed by the ruggedness of the machine... We have a compaq entry level laptop in the house bought for about 25-27k about a year back, the HCL was better in build quality.
Old 19-02-10   #13
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Thanks JD! I will consider it.

I'm apprehensive rather than closed minded. I'm open to all brands but I don't want to regret later if I get pathetic after sales support.
Old 19-02-10   #14
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renowned
stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned

Originally Posted by Cyn1c View Post
Thanks JD! I will consider it.

I'm apprehensive rather than closed minded. I'm open to all brands but I don't want to regret later if I get pathetic after sales support.
If you're apprehensive about local support, then just buy from SMC. They are legendary for their proactive and smooth customer dealings.

EDIT: Looks like you just missed out on a neat member GO - Dell Inspiron 13z Laptops

Last edited by stonedsurd; 19-02-10 at 04:57 PM.
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-10   #15
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

I have used and suggested many acer laptops and fortunately have nothing bad to say about them. I think you should get the Asus tablet, if your dad likes the idea of touch.
ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply